Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be the most effective at curbing America’s gun violence?
More guns in the hands of more people 92 41.44%
Less guns in the hands of less people 130 58.56%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Look at how many people accumulate dozens upon dozens of guns. What do you call that?
What do you call someone that spends a lot of money collecting worthless trinkets? That's crazy....

I know a lot of people that buy and sell a lot of guns. One thing to remember is guns are one product where the value does not decrease much especially if you are buying used guns. They can even increase in value. If you buy and sell right not only can you enjoy a hobby collecting guns but you can make a little money on the side doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 07:27 AM

10,246 posts, read 6,337,511 times
NY Refugee talked about passengers on planes carrying. I can give you a real life experience; crowded NYC mass transit. When I was 6 years old in 1954, my Mom took me to see Santa at Macy's Herald Square. We got on a bus to go home when a man got on, argued with the driver, pulled out a gun and shot him in the head. He ran off the bus, but suppose he decided he was going to start shooting the other passengers as well?

It was total chaos on that bus as it was. People were crowded standing up in the aisle holding shopping bags, briefcases, purses. The people in the back of the bus managed to push the backdoor open, but everyone in the middle and front of the bus had nowhere to go. Passengers in the seats got down on the floor, but couldn't run because they couldn't get out with all the people standing in aisle. My Mom threw me on the floor by our seats and got on top me.

So how would a good guy with a gun have shot him? Anyone in the aisle that close to him would have been long dead before they could somehow manage to get their gun out. Farther back in the bus other passengers would have been in their way to shoot. Someone in the seats? They would have to stand up, be a very good shooter, and very fast on the draw, or they would be a target themselves.

People just do not realize what these situations are like. Panic and chaos. I can imagine given my experience as a young child what that crowded church must have been like with all those young children around.

No, more guns are not the answer to these mass shootings.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:29 AM

13,985 posts, read 5,647,020 times
Quote:
Again, I was speaking not only of you, but in general. Look at how many people accumulate dozens upon dozens of guns. What do you call that? I am a little curious, though. If Hillary had won the election, how many more would you have gotten?
I call that the same thing I call people who collect sets of china, stamps, toy trains, or any other freaking hobby. Someone indulging an interest with their own resources, causing harm to exactly nobody in the process.

If I own one gun or 20, I represent the same 0 threat to anyone because I am law abiding citizen. Why does collecting a thing somehow equate to evil intent? Think of the things in your own home, and I guarantee there is at least one type of item you have more of than you absolutely need for basic survival. So what do you call that?

Old 11-06-2017, 07:30 AM

32,820 posts, read 19,513,881 times
Quote:
Again, I was speaking not only of you, but in general. Look at how many people accumulate dozens upon dozens of guns. What do you call that? I am a little curious, though. If Hillary had won the election, how many more would you have gotten?
so what....some people have hundreds of shoes, or handbags

or collect stamps, or coins

some people have hundreds of Bradford exchange deco plates

or thousands of dollars in model trains

or collect cars

what's wrong with collecting guns

Old 11-06-2017, 07:34 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,961,423 times
Neither answer is relevant to mass shootings, most of which are related to a mental illness, the topic it seems no one wishes to address.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
This and mental health test, every year, you fail the mental health test, immediate lobotomy.
Mental health?

Trump wasted no time and in February reversed an Obama requirement that SSA report mentally impaired recipients to a national background - check data base. These are severely disabled people determined by MDs and court to be incapable of working and recieving SSD benefits.

SSA enables mentally disabled to petition the court to prove their competence and opt out of SSA benefits.

There are no restrictions on a person deemed severely mentally disabled by a court from buying a firearm.

As it relates to this shooting, the shooter's 2 counts of assault on his wife and child resulted in a bad conduct discharge and 12 month confinement should have been reported to the national database but it was not. It's not clear if this slipped through the cracks or if the military does not report information to the database.

No shortage of people who are fanatically obsessed with their former spouses. The parents of this shooters ex wife are members of the church. They did not attend services this week. The shooter did the Kill Bill thing and shot nearly everyone in the church and killed 26, half of which were children.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:35 AM

10,246 posts, read 6,337,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I recall there were several people in the crowds with semi- automatics slung over their sholdiers in the midst of the mass shooting in Dallas. Thst shooter was mobile, thus creating a perception of multiple shooters. Those armed ran for their lives like everyone else, reinforcing perceptions that there were multiple shooters.

Thank goodness, those who were armed chose to flee along with everyone else. Imagine the outcome if all those armed had chosen to engage.

Many of the armed were identified as people of interest/ possible accomplices, based on eye- wittness accounts. At least one turned himself in to clear his name. Others were fracked down.

Very challenging to distinguish between a good vs bad guy with a gun in the midst of chaos.
My husband and I discussed all of this since he has a carry permit. He has said that he too would probably run even if he was carrying. His mindset is that his gun is protect himself one on one only and not be be a Hero chasing down a shooter. "I could never live with myself if I missed and killed an innocent person instead".

From the comments on here, most gun owners would disagree with him and say he should not carry then.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:38 AM

73,085 posts, read 62,717,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Males.
Really?

Old 11-06-2017, 07:40 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,659,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Israel has mandatory military service and is in a war zone where people are defending the country on a daily basis. Not comparable to American society.
You are exaggerating. Don't let the news fool you. Most of the people live very quiet life, 90% did not participate in even one combat.
We have some very hot headed youth, (usually Arabs, Jews of Arab countries origin, Ethiopian Jews) and still you will not see those massacres.
The issue is the society, not the guns. And the guns will not be available, they will use trucks.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
According to FBI statistics 80-90% of homicides are committed by prior violent felons.
That's interesting because I have never seen that tracked in FBI UCR, could you please provide a source for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies