Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 05:49 PM

26,858 posts, read 22,700,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Employment At Will is wonderful. It is the ultimate 2 way Freedom of Association.

No matter whether or not it inconveniences her.
We are not talking about "employment at will" in this particular case, but "freedom of speech."

Old 11-11-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I stopped here because no it doesnt. Simply SAYING something on a corner that isnt harming anyone nor would cause harm, does not involve public safety. its freedom of speech, just like the middle finger..

Society doesnt have to ignore others exercising their right to free speech either..
You can't know this for sure, and that's why this matter in this particular case involves public safety.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
waaaa waaaa.. people have consequences for their actions.. waaaa waaaa..
What "consequences?"
If you have "consequences" for exercising your freedom of speech, that's already not "freedom of speech" - it's that simple.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,262,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The employer most certainly did. If she had simply voiced her protest at Trump is your contention her employer could have fired her butt. Great freedoms those are when you can lose your job for exercising them on your own free time, or is your time not your own outside of business hours either?
Normally, I would agree with you, off the clock is off the clock, and some states, like California, limit an employers ability to discipline employees for activities outside of the work place, but right to work means just that
Off-Duty Conduct Can't Get You Fired. Right? - Employment and HR - United States
Quote:
Once again with the strawman bullcrap! I said no such thing and you know it!
Yeah ya did.. and you just did it again..
Quote:
Where it can be shown speech or expression causing harm like yelling fire in a crowded theater or construed as "fighting words" so as to exhort harm upon a person consequences will be swift and deserved.

I'm not the one furiously erecting strawmen one after the other by attributing things neither said or expressed to support some infantile boss having the right to fire someone for flipping the bird at a passing motorcade on her day off.
There is no stawman argument being formed except those who believe its fascism to be able to fire someone. The whole thought process is completely backwards.

I very well doubt it was the finger that got her fired, it was more than likely her attitude when it was questioned.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What "consequences?"
If you have "consequences" for exercising your freedom of speech, that's already not "freedom of speech" - it's that simple.
In the current scenario, the consequences is.. hearing the first amendment right to free speech "Youre fired"

Old 11-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
You can't know this for sure, and that's why this matter in this particular case involves public safety.
There is no public safety concerns being raised anywhere.. if there was, that would actually make it easier to fire her and receive consequences for her actions..

Old 11-11-2017, 05:59 PM

78,807 posts, read 61,019,259 times
Quote:
Who said anything about her right to employment? Oh right the "strawman" must have said that., because I sure as heck didn't.

Her 1st amendment right to "freedom of speech" which has been defined to include "expression" should preclude her employer's right to fire her azz because she flips the bird at a passing motorcade on her day off while out riding her bike.

What's "creepy" is silly people giving her employer the right to make flipping the bird a firing offence when other's committing more egregious infractions were allowed to simply remove their facebook posting.

What's creepy is silly people who would prefer a country where an employer has the power to treat you like a "subject".
Again, you like HER freedom of speech but not the employers freedom of speech. Yep. Creepy as hell. Her words don't have to be fighting words or bomb threats or even just liking pepsi more than coca cola. *shrug*.

So stop being a raging facist and let her do her thing and the company do their thing, each having the right to do so.

No one here is opposing her free speech. It's you that feel that others should be unable to respond to it. Wow...if you can't process that simple arrangement I'm long overdue with this. Bye.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
In the current scenario, the consequences is.. hearing the first amendment right to free speech "Youre fired"
Again - you are confusing words and actions.
But I understand that if you stick to the facts, it won't work well for your arguments, so go ahead, repeat whatever you like. It won't become true however, no matter how many times you'll repeat it.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Again - you are confusing words and actions.
But I understand that if you stick to the facts, it won't work well for your arguments, so go ahead, repeat whatever you like.
no, I'm not.. You're the one confusing free speech with right to work..

Old 11-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
There is no public safety concerns being raised anywhere.. if there was, that would actually make it easier to fire her and receive consequences for her actions..
Excuse me, if someone yells on the street "I like to rape little children" - it IS a matter of public concern, since no one knows for sure, whether this person is mentally stable, is looking for help or planning the said above rape. Normal people usually don't yell such things I think.
But may be that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies