Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 11:15 AM

764 posts, read 235,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
They have and challenges are still being made. But they have to work their way up through the court system all the way to the Supreme Court. Unfortunately these are decided on a case by case. Some have merit, some don't and they only get so far. Those that have merit usually make it to the Supreme Court such as in the Heller/McDonald decision which confirmed the 2nd Amendment as an individual right not related to service in a militia and applies to firearms that are in "common use". It got to the point where they had to rule one way or the other. Fortunately they ruled on our side.

The sad part is that politicians still pass laws that violate those decisions. Unfortunately those laws remain in effect until a successful court challenge overturns them. Those challenges could take years to decide and cost a lot of money of which the lawyers are the chief beneficiaries. Obviously this is beneficial to the bottom line of the trial lawyers who in most cases happen to be elected officials who write these laws. The more laws that are written and challenged the more the lawyers can profit.
See my post above......... This is why the court is always the most important issue to base your vote on.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:16 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,813,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No you don't, because you will NEVER defend yourself against the most powerful military on Earth. That may have been true in the 18th Century when the 2nd Amendment was ratified. It's no longer applicable. The 2nd Amendment has become a justification for the slaughter of innocent civilians, not for State-wide defense from the Feds.

And for a nation that touts itself as Christian constantly, it's ironic that guns are so loved seeing as Jesus would absolutely oppose the ownership of any weapons.
Every person I know that is/was in the military (including three out of four people in my household) would not take up arms against their own citizens. I would imagine a high percentage of the military would refuse. One percent of our population volunteers for service and where do you think many of those people come from? I am not worried about our military at this moment.

Last edited by redwood66; 11-08-2017 at 11:29 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 AM

923 posts, read 495,749 times

Old 11-08-2017, 11:24 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,361,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
That Texas guy escaped from a mental institution where he was placed after threatening to kill his superiors on a military base. Cases like that are pretty damn clear cut.
Makes you wonder why he was ever allowed to roam the streets as a free man to do as he pleases? He too beat his ex wife and infant step son, cracking the poor kid's skull along with animal cruelty charges.

Some people have questioned why he wasn't put on a government prohibited possessors list? I question why he was ever let out in the first place? A person who obviously proved that he had a propensity for violence should never be let out of prison or the brig in the first place. Solving that problem would go a long way instead of banning and criminalizing law abiding people's lawfully owned property.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:24 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Every person I know that is/was in the military (three out of four people in my household) would not take up arms against their own citizens. I would imagine a high percentage of the military would refuse. One percent of our population volunteers for service and where do you think many of those people come from? I am not worried about our military at this moment.

Lol. Not even! I never have been overly concerned about a government coup. Or foreign invasion. Foreign powers see a ground invasion of the continental US as a no can do. And as you say, military backing for national martial law is nonexistent. That's been looked into. The government actually polled the military oh, 25 or so years ago(?) someone else may remember this as well and if they were thinking they would get support see a mass following of orders in regards to shooting fellow citizens they were disappointed.

I'm far more concerned with criminals in general and the cartel backed street gangs in particular.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:25 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,148,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
meme

Those aren't liberals, they're anarchists or simply thugs finding any excuse to be destructive.

Just like the Texas shooter isn't representative of all conservatives. He was simply a disturbed maniac.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 AM

35,735 posts, read 21,087,398 times
bogus like the right-wingers are all saints-- please.............post something inetlligent

Old 11-08-2017, 11:27 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,603,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Every person I know that is/was in the military (three out of four people in my household) would not take up arms against their own citizens. I would imagine a high percentage of the military would refuse. One percent of our population volunteers for service and where do you think many of those people come from? I am not worried about our military at this moment.

I am not so sure. Government employees, like law enforcement, and military tend to do what the people that pay them tell them to do. Yes, ultimately the taxpayer is paying them, but the Bureaucrats, and Politicians control the payroll, and purse strings. After all Law Enforcement went door to door during Katrina, and illegally confiscated firearms under orders from their leadership. I believe that happened at some point is CT also.

In general government HATES that we have the ability to own firearms.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:32 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,148,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Makes you wonder why he was ever allowed to roam the streets as a free man to do as he pleases? He too beat his ex wife and infant step son, cracking the poor kid's skull along with animal cruelty charges.

Some people have questioned why he wasn't put on a government prohibited possessors list? I question why he was ever let out in the first place? A person who obviously proved that he had a propensity for violence should never be let out of prison or the brig in the first place. Solving that problem would go a long way instead of banning and criminalizing law abiding people's lawfully owned property.
That's the justice system for ya. This guy was a free man able to have guns, whereas another person gets caught with pot once and ends up labelled a felon and ends up unable to get any decent job no matter how much he wants to live in a productive and moral way.

Only jail people who are truly a threat to others and keep them there for as long as that's the case. Otherwise, they have paid their debt to society.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:33 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,813,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol. Not even! I never have been overly concerned about a government coup. Or foreign invasion. Foreign powers see a ground invasion of the continental US as a no can do. And as you say, military backing for national martial law is nonexistent. That's been looked into. The government actually polled the military oh, 25 or so years ago(?) someone else may remember this as well and if they were thinking they would get support see a mass following of orders in regards to shooting fellow citizens they were disappointed.

I'm far more concerned with criminals in general and the cartel backed street gangs in particular.
And pray tell why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies