Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 09:55 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
All semi-autos and assault rifles need to be banned. Absolutely no reason a civilian should be able to buy them.
Look at the crazy double standard! Only the most powerful should have weapons!

This is the Left in a nutshell -- bullies!!

Old 11-08-2017, 10:00 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Glad everyone else can get on with the discussion.

Myself, I am still hung up on the title, " Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs". Who knew the Secretary of Defense had an assistant for health affairs?!
He sure enough does, though, strange though it may be:
https://health.mil/About-MHS/ASDHA

So I guess technically he is "Trump's Pentagon Pick" as the article says. And frankly I share his some of his views.
But I'm still a Republican and would never vote for a Democrat.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
As a strong Trump supporter I would like to see an assault rifle ban.

It isn't what the rifle looks like it's all about how many rounds are in the magazine.

Six rounds for higher caliber weapons sounds about right because if you need more than six rounds when you go deer hunting maybe you shouldn't have a hunting license?
"I would like to see an assault rifle ban."

We had one under Clinton and it did NOTHING to combat gun murders.

It banned certain LOOKS and useless other things.

The SAME rifle that shot the SAME bullet at the SAME rate of fire that did NOT "look" like a military style rifle was STILL AVAILABLE to to the public.

"When you do the same thing over and over, do NOT expect a different outcome"

I wish people would become MORE educated about guns BEFORE posting.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
How about both? Focus on the issues of the people doing these, and put heavier restrictions on guns like the rest of the civilized planet.
once again blaming the tool rather than the people wielding the tool. does this mean if people start using hammers to kill people we should then also ban assault hammer? or what about if people use screwdrivers to kill, should we then ban assault screwdrivers?

you are typical if all gun grabber idiots. you see a firearm and automatically call it an assault weapon to make it sound scary and evil, just like someone with a hammer sees a lot of nails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have a sneaky feeling all these mass shootings are pushing us towards a civil war, with the ultimate intent of creating some super tyrannical govt, something like 'the empire'.
thats possible, though i tend to avoid tin foil conspiracies like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Look at the crazy double standard! Only the most powerful should have weapons!

This is the Left in a nutshell -- bullies!!
its a long fly ball deep to left field back goes bonds, away back to the warning track to the wall, and this ball is off the reservation, home run!!

it is the left that is pushing the political correctness bull crap, because they want to control the people, mind, in thought and deed.

they want to be the ones controlling everything, much like stalin and hitler, and other tyrannical despots.

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
No you don't, because you will NEVER defend yourself against the most powerful military on Earth. That may have been true in the 18th Century when the 2nd Amendment was ratified. It's no longer applicable. The 2nd Amendment has become a justification for the slaughter of innocent civilians, not for State-wide defense from the Feds.

And for a nation that touts itself as Christian constantly, it's ironic that guns are so loved seeing as Jesus would absolutely oppose the ownership of any weapons.
Luke 22:36

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

P.S. Do you honestly think the whole of the US Military will take up arms against the population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually the wording of the second amendment is not limiting for the people. lets break it down shall we?

the first part "a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state," this means that a militia, or citizen army, in good working order, meaning well drilled would bt the front line of defense for the individual states, and could be called up to defend the country as a whole if needed. remember the constitution does not provide for a standing army, only a standing navy.

the second part, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." this means that any arms available to the government for use on the battlefield must also be available for use by the average person, since the average person of majority age is in fact the militia.

this does not mean that everyone should own things like full automatic weapons, heavy artillery, tanks, etc. since that would give a whole new meaning to neighborhood disputes, but it does mean that anyone that has not had their rights suspended by due process, meaning no criminal convictions or adjudication of mental defect, should be able, if they have the wherewithal, to purchase what ever firearm they choose.

i will say that given the state of things today, full automatic weapons should be licensed as they are currently. we wouldnt want gang bangers owning gatling style mini guns now would we? that would indeed give drive by shootings new meaning.
"this does not mean that everyone should own things like full automatic weapons, heavy artillery, tanks, etc."

BUT, people DO own fully automatic rifles AND tanks and other military equipment completely LEGAL.

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
This is yet another example of PURE PROJECTION on the part of Liberal/Progressives. They can't trust themselves with a firearm, so want to ban everyone else from having them. So, the law abiding will not have them, but the criminals will. Nice.
Precisely.
That and they like protecting criminals too. Criminals have rights too ya know...

Jerry Brown, Yeah, he removed the mandatory punishment enhancements for criminals who commission firearms in crimes.
Quote:
Gov. Jerry Brown on Wednesday signed a bill that allows judges to decide against imposing prison sentencing enhancements of 10 or more years in cases where firearms are used in committing a felony.
Gov. Brown Signs Law Giving Judges Discretion Over Lengthening Prison Sentences in Gun Crimes | KTLA

Some good a slew of new gun laws are going to do with a weak justice system.

How about the Texas Church Shooting. The government dropped the ball reporting the scumbag to the NICS system...
Grassley Cruz Bill would have prevented this from happening however since it contained pro gun legislation, democrats filibustered it...

Quote:
Meanwhile, an alternative Republican gun bill by Chuck Grassley and Ted Cruz that would have provided funding for gun-crime prosecutions, school safety, and mental health — but placed no new restrictions on gun ownership — was killed by a Democratic-led filibuster. That amendment received 52 votes, not enough to move forward.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8552f8a10352

That right there is proof positive democrats are NOT interested in "Compromise or common sense"

However Compromise has 2 definitions.
meet each other halfway, come to an understanding, make a deal, make concessions, find a happy medium, strike a balance; give and take
"Compromise" democrats want is this compromise weaken (a reputation or principle) by accepting standards that are lower than is desirable.
"commercial pressures could compromise safety" "The boats hull was compromised by an ice berg" "The location of the spy has been compromised"

We aren't falling for it. Since 1934 you have had your laws compromising the 2nd Amendment. We could go further back in time, to where gun control started-Keeping blacks from owning firearms.

For years you have shot down legislation that contained common sense, and harsh penalties to combat the criminal element of violence when a fire arm is commissioned. You have no further say in this matter. You lack common sense.

You lack the integrity and knowledge to do anything constructive to help these issues. You push for bans you cry you turn to feeble emotional rants like toddlers. You are consumed by media instilled fear. Pushed by every news network, to celebrity icon, to political hack. Your goose is cooked on this matter.

What about drive by shootings?
Homeowner shoots at drive-by suspects, killing 2 | abc13.com

Right there. That's how you stop drive-by shootings.

What about school shootings?
6 facts you need to know about Texas' campus carry law | abc13.com
Texas 'Campus Carry' law now applies to community colleges | Fox News

In primary to high school You arm the teachers. Or rely on police intervention. Hey it only takes them x amount of minutes to arrive, x more to assess and act...

It should not be about removing guns. It should be about removing a criminals incentive.
Bank trucks offer a far more rewarding incentive to be shot up than a concert, a church, a school,
etc. But they're not. I wonder if armed guards have anything to do with that? I wonder if said armed guards may act to thwart evil with impunity has anything to do with it?

So anti gunners, liberals, progressives, misinformed, what say you? How about real, legitimate compromise not one sided weakening and erosion of rights do to subjective emotional rants?
How about it?
Want the crime to stop? Want these mass shootings to stop? Remove criminals Incentive. National Stand Your ground. No duty to retreat. I'll pose what would be fair compromise in the next post.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Second amendment isn't about deer hunting...oh and I wouldnt brag about being a Trump supporter, he loves taking away rights too.
".oh and I wouldnt brag about being a Trump supporter, he loves taking away rights too."

What "rights" has he taken away?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
It doesn't surprise me that a medical professional said something like that. Somebody needs to remind Dr. Winslow that the position he is nominated for is responsible for the Dept. of Defense's Health Affairs, not making decisions or offering opinions on what guns we should and should not be able to own.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Firearms owners are imbued with no greater an intelligence quotient about their firearms, as it pertains to common sense discsussions about their danger, than those who ultimately decided Dynamite needed restrictions. Give that nonsense a rest.

There are just as many ex servicemen who spent years listening to them make a lot of noise who would advise strict restrictions be placed upon certain firearms types/acquisition provisions as there are those suggesting your rights and freedoms are directly impinged without reason by contolling them.

They were smarter back then I guess, when both the safety and freedom memes pitched today probably having even more relevance:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...-then-than-now

https://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~rcollin...ship/guns.html
Dailykos? You have t obe kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies