Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 04:57 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,795,850 times

Advertisements

And if a "robot" is at the teller window, bank robbers won't be threaten (bodily harm) to the robot for money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 05:13 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,540,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
it is pointless to worry about it
Worry? How about embrace and take advantage of it. There are many new jobs in the field of robotics and automation and this field will grow. Those robots have to be designed and maintained by somebody and the software has to be developed and maintained. Even if robots make robots, there are jobs making those too. There is sales, delivery, setup, parts, designing of parts, manufacturing, assembly, upgrades, repair, even end-of-life and recycling of robots, training and reusing their parts.

It's a whole new line of work that requires specific skill sets. There will be new billionaires made on new companies that focus on automatic and robotics and many people will work in the industry. It's going to be huuuuuge.

Last edited by sware2cod; 11-09-2017 at 06:04 AM..

Old 11-09-2017, 06:03 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,952,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Worry? How about embrace and take advantage of it. There are many new jobs in the field of robotics and automation and this field will grow. Those robots have to be designed and maintained by somebody and the software has to be developed and maintained. Even if robots make robots, there are jobs making those too. There is sales, delivery, setup, parts, designing of parts, upgrades, repair, even end-of-life and recycling of robots, training and reusing their parts.

It's a whole new line of work that requires specific skill sets. There will be new billionaires made on new companies that focus on automatic and robotics and many people will work in the industry. It's going to be huuuuuge.
The new jobs created will not match the old ones destroyed thats why this wave of automation is different from previous ones. If you are in the elite of skills you will likely still be employable 20 years from now however mid level and low level jobs will become very rare.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:13 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,750,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/08/deut...employees.html

Deutsche Bank believes their accountants could be replaced by AI. So much for just entry level workers.

If you go to McDonalds now they are pushing the touch screen ordering which will replace the cashier up front and person manning the drive through window. That will eliminate 2 to 3 positions.

I went to U-Haul to buy a box and they use a handheld device to ring up the purchase the guy working there joked they will probably be replacing him with a kiosk soon.

The future is here, especially with large corporation that have the deep pockets to invest in this sort of thing. I know lots of people do not like it. But its happening either way.

Some like Elon Musk thing AI might replace humans and we may not survive. Personally I think the planet and most of its occupants would be better without us. By the time all of this might happen I will be long gone so big deal to me either way.
Yikes!! My wife starts her new job with Deutsche Bank on Monday. Good thing she will not be working in an area that will be subject to replacement.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,451,539 times
And yet, Germany thinks it needs MORE PEOPLE from the third world with little-to-no skills or education for the new economic realities of the 21st century!

I thought they were supposed to be smarter than everyone else?

Frankly, i'm looking forward to the day when robots replace CEOs.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:15 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,952,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Yikes!! My wife starts her new job with Deutsche Bank on Monday. Good thing she will not be working in an area that will be subject to replacement.
Yet...

Old 11-09-2017, 06:16 AM

30,275 posts, read 11,913,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That is a seriously out-of-touch Treasury secretary.

Although in a way it's true - it is pointless to worry about it. Short of nuclear war, there's no stopping it.
We would have to nuke the robots?

Old 11-09-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Cannot speak for everywhere, but in our area you are lucky to find more than two tellers working even during busy/peak hours. If there is a huge line or rush maybe one of the managers, head teller or someone from the "other side of counter" will step in; otherwise be prepared to wait.

Banks have launched all sorts of online, apps and other services to get people from using tellers and or "live" customer service. You can do nearly all banking over the telephone, online or via other methods including opening accounts and so forth.

So yes, can see how DB would claim to eliminate a major portion of jobs with automation; it is already happening.
The people waiting in the long line who keep $50 in their checking account are a money loser for the banks unless the have a lot of NSF fees. They will find a way to automate that part of their business. And you can't rob a touch screen so bank robberies will go down.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:32 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,828,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
My understating is that most banks are suggesting (pushing) customers that come into banks to use the ATMs and apps. They are on the one hand doing this, yet on the other hand using data research to see what kind of services they can push on customers when they deal with them (ex. "Do you need an HELOC, auto loan, new mortgage, etc...?", but even that can be pushed by apps.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Worry? How about embrace and take advantage of it. There are many new jobs in the field of robotics and automation and this field will grow. Those robots have to be designed and maintained by somebody and the software has to be developed and maintained. Even if robots make robots, there are jobs making those too. There is sales, delivery, setup, parts, designing of parts, manufacturing, assembly, upgrades, repair, even end-of-life and recycling of robots, training and reusing their parts.

Well for every new job created several will be eliminated or what is the point of automating?

I agree the jobs will be better types of jobs but they may only pay minimum wage even though now they are high paying. I would think that with so many out of work and needing to train for these new jobs there will be a glut of applicants for much fewer openings. Supply and demand. Too much supply in the form of labor. Plus there will have to be a huuuuge amount of money put aside for UBI since most of the workforce will be sitting at home. That has to come from somewhere.

Best career advice is start your own tech / robotics company or some offshoot of that. At least you can control your fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies