Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 08:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I have to side with them on this one. Conservatives have been waging a war on contraceptives for decades because it's supposedly sinful or something like that, never mind that abstinence-only education has been proven over and over to not work at all. So... You can't really blame poor women for popping out kids since they've been preached to that contraceptives are sinful and poor people tend to be religious.
1. The taxpayers shouldn’t supplement people’s recreational activities.
2. Name one poor person actually thinks it’s sinful. The majority don’t.
3. I highly doubt the majority of them have babies because contraceptives aren’t available
4. Being poor is no reason not to educate their children. School is free, lunch is included, library is free, and they don’t have jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 08:30 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yep they've been waging war on it - but have they won that war?

Read my previous post, MW.
They've won enough battles to effectively sway people's opinion on this issue. Poor people tend to be religious. And their pastors always preach against using contraceptives. So, even if contraceptives are provided freely at every street corner, a lot of poor women would still not use them.

This is the number one reason why Africa is such a mess regarding the HIV epidemic.

Personally, I think people need to be told to stop breeding like rabbits.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Also, doesn't 'tending to be religious' include not having sex before marriage? Or not having children out of wedlock?

No? It's just selective religious adherence?

Sounds like more blame-shifting to me.
I've known very religious Catholics who are proudly self proclaimed "virgins" even though they've had oral sex and anal sex.

My point is people are sexual beings who will come up with all kinds of excuses to convince themselves they are on gods good side.

Look at the black community. Black people tend to be a lot more religious than everyone else. And yet their out of wedlock birthrate is 73%. So, obviously their pastors are preaching against contraceptives more than having kids out of wedlock.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I've known very religious Catholics who are proudly self proclaimed "virgins" even though they've had oral sex and anal sex.

My point is people are sexual beings who will come up with all kinds of excuses to convince themselves they are on gods good side.

Look at the black community. Black people tend to be a lot more religious than everyone else. And yet their out of wedlock birthrate is 73%. So, obviously their pastors are preaching against contraceptives more than having kids out of wedlock.
I'm not sure it's the church-going folks having a lot of children when they cannot afford to feed themselves.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Stop - between Planned Parenthood and Medicaid (do you think those in poverty we're talking about are the rich poor and therefore wouldn't qualify for Medicaid?) people have access to birth control - which they opt not to take. If they did take it, abortions would seldom be the issue.

Think in terms of cities. There are free clinics and women still have multiple babies when they cannot feed themselves. If they're not willing to stop the cycle of generational poverty, all the free clinics in those places you're referring to wouldn't make a difference anyway.
The object is to make it as easily available as possible. That has not happened. I would think automatically mailing the contraceptives to those eligible would be the sort of things you want. And instant access to the abortion drugs if they miss a period. If you wish to limit kids in bad places you go all out to make it simple.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure it's the church-going folks having a lot of children when they cannot afford to feed themselves.
Yes, it's the church going folks that are pumping them out. I know this because I used to date black guys and thus was given access into the circle of black community. The women are very religious, especially the single moms. And trust me, there are A LOT of single moms in the black community. You don't even need to see the statistics. Everywhere you go, you will see single moms. All the black guys I got to know had no fathers.

This is one area that I am absolutely in disagreement with mainstream liberal people. I see this trend as a huge problem for the black community. But mainstream liberals for some damn reason think it's completely ok and not at all a problem. Just wait for the angry posts to come my way. You'll see.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:28 PM

672 posts, read 256,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
What's your level of education?
Reading through this thread I saw that you asked this question about four times...with dead silence for a response.

Until...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
The questions you asked about my education and career? I didn't see any reason why that was relevant to answer. The answer is that I went to a crappy private high school, a good public university, and now make 6 figures doing something unrelated to my degree, a skill that I self-taught.
Which I seriously doubt.

The USA has been anti-intellectual for a long, long time. When people can advocate for teaching creationism as a "science" and not be publicly ridiculed for their stupidity you know you're in trouble. The poster mentioning Calvinism hit the nail on the head. Too much religion and not enough critical thinking.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:16 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nonsense. If you have health insurance you get them free. Or if you qualify for Medicaid you can get them for free. But otherwise no. And all involve some level of dealing with the bureaucracy. I am suggesting making them freely available without prescriptions or paperwork.

In many places abortions are very difficult to get...almost impossible without traveling large distances. The simple solution is make them available anywhere on demand.

This stuff is not complicated. Mostly all you need do is stop the RW from blocking easy access to both.
I often wonder why the right aren't the ones pushing for more minority and low income abortions? If it's true that Republicans are generally racists, wouldn't this be something they'd push for more of? Conversely I know liberals who believe overpopulation is the problem and the only way to deal with climate change is to reduce said population. When I ask "where" it's usually focused on Asia & Africa, but also at home in the US as well. They believe the government should be in charge of it. I've heard it suggested that immigrant families, who in my area and almost entirely on government assistance, have no good reason to be having six kids, while the taxpaying middle class have only one or two. Or poor single mothers, with 4-5 kids and no way of supporting them. They believe it should be decided for them the cap on kids they may have. It's not unreasonable imo, but hardly sounds liberal. This was actually the prevailing ideology behind the birth of the progressive movement in the US. Confusing stuff.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You do know that many of them pop out kids to qualify for welfare right?

And those children never had a chance.
lol do you know how little people get from welfare? In Tennessee a family of three gets $185 a month, hardly a compelling reason to have a baby

Old 11-12-2017, 10:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I often wonder why the right aren't the ones pushing for more minority and low income abortions? If it's true that Republicans are generally racists, wouldn't this be something they'd push for more of? Conversely I know liberals who believe overpopulation is the problem and the only way to deal with climate change is to reduce said population. When I ask "where" it's usually focused on Asia & Africa, but also at home in the US as well. They believe the government should be in charge of it. I've heard it suggested that immigrant families, who in my area and almost entirely on government assistance, have no good reason to be having six kids, while the taxpaying middle class have only one or two. Or poor single mothers, with 4-5 kids and no way of supporting them. They believe it should be decided for them the cap on kids they may have. It's not unreasonable imo, but hardly sounds liberal. This was actually the prevailing ideology behind the birth of the progressive movement in the US. Confusing stuff.
Maybe because poor shaming/poor blaming is so much more fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies