Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 10:02 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,453,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Yet working class taxpayers overwhelmingly votes republican.
yeah uneducated ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 10:06 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,746,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This is an attack on the middle class which won't pass.
Exactly this is a deduction that solely benefits the middle class. There’s just no sense in eliminating it.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:13 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,736,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Because an educated populace would never, ever vote for a Republican.
Bingo

Old 11-12-2017, 10:26 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,420,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Because an educated populace would never, ever vote for a Republican.
Trump got the majority of votes from those with college degrees.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:28 PM

32,153 posts, read 15,164,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
And boy there are sorry for it .

Old 11-12-2017, 10:29 PM

8,507 posts, read 3,366,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I know plenty of people who have non stem degrees who are doing just fine, it's amazing that you would claim the only job they can get is in a fast food joint.
Yeah. I had to chuckle thinking of my niece. Graduated with a 4-yr degree in philosophy with a competency in German.

Her first non-retail hire? Bank clerk surrounded by non-degreed co-workers.

The first more professional job opening that came along? Personnel. Bingo. Went to the college-graduate.

That bank was bought out by another bank that in turn was bought out by a third BIG bank.

My niece ended up running the Government Compliance Department.

What better preparation for sorting thru Government regulations than years of reading through philosophical jargon. In German, moreover.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Really? well here are two reputable sources that disagree with you.

"I took a list of all 981 U.S. counties1 with 50,000 or more people2 and sorted it by the share of the population3 that had completed at least a four-year college degree. Hillary Clinton improved on President Obama’s 2012 performance in 48 of the country’s 50 most-well-educated counties. And on average, she improved on Obama’s margin of victory in these countries by almost 9 percentage points, even though Obama had done pretty well in them to begin with."

Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump | FiveThirtyEight

And this is from Pew Research:

"College graduates backed Clinton by a 9-point margin (52%-43%), while those without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44%. This is by far the widest gap in support among college graduates and non-college graduates in exit polls dating back to 1980. For example, in 2012, there was hardly any difference between the two groups: College graduates backed Obama over Romney by 50%-48%, and those without a college degree also supported Obama 51%-47%."
Behind Trump's victory: Divisions by race, gender and education | Pew Research Center

Old 11-12-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Yeah. I had to chuckle thinking of my niece. Graduated with a 4-yr degree in philosophy with a competency in German.
Her first non-retail hire? Bank clerk surrounded by non-degreed co-workers.
The first more professional job opening that came along? Personnel. Bingo. Went to the college-graduate.
That bank was bought out by another bank that in turn was bought out by a third BIG bank.
My niece ended up running the Government Compliance Department.
What better preparation for sorting thru Government regulations than years of reading through philosophical jargon. In German, moreover.

Exactly! My daughter-in-law has a journalism degree, she works for Stanford University (non teaching position) and makes more money than most people with a STEM degree

Old 11-12-2017, 10:52 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,571,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Really? well here are two reputable sources that disagree with you.

"I took a list of all 981 U.S. counties1 with 50,000 or more people2 and sorted it by the share of the population3 that had completed at least a four-year college degree. Hillary Clinton improved on President Obama’s 2012 performance in 48 of the country’s 50 most-well-educated counties. And on average, she improved on Obama’s margin of victory in these countries by almost 9 percentage points, even though Obama had done pretty well in them to begin with."

Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump | FiveThirtyEight

And this is from Pew Research:

"College graduates backed Clinton by a 9-point margin (52%-43%), while those without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44%. This is by far the widest gap in support among college graduates and non-college graduates in exit polls dating back to 1980. For example, in 2012, there was hardly any difference between the two groups: College graduates backed Obama over Romney by 50%-48%, and those without a college degree also supported Obama 51%-47%."
Behind Trump's victory: Divisions by race, gender and education | Pew Research Center

Don't assume people know how to interpret graphs.

Numbers are hard and when you don't agree with them, brush them aside.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:57 PM

16,913 posts, read 10,633,590 times
The OP is a bit harsh. I never did any of those things and I had student loans. I always made too much for the deduction anyway. I also found many of the government-backed loan companies very "scammy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies