Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 03:45 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
It doesn't seem like he ever entered the school. So where were the good guys with guns' to stop him?
Plenty of gun saturation zones available to them.
Apparently not at the school as law abiding citizens obey posted laws.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:54 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I was in highschool following 9/11 when terrorist attacks were supposed to take place in schools in NY. Proceedure was teacher sprints to the door of the class room to lock it. We all lay on the floor to become fish in a barrel for the attacker.
Maybe if we held our breath we'd be invisible?

I asked the entire administration and superintendent present at the assembly that followed the VERY first lock down drill.

Do you really think someone determined wont bust that window out of the door to unlock it from the outside of the door and make their way in?

It didnt fall entirely on deaf ears. The following year we had 2 NY state troopers brought to the school. They were armed too. They were called Student Resource Officers. So there's somewhat of a compromise...

How would I ensure the weapon isn't removed from the teacher.
Dont announce to the public or to the students that the teachers are armed. Carry concealed. I keep 2 pistols in my waist band. You cant see them. I don't print. Then again I am not fat out of shape or wear skin tight clothing. If I can carry a full size 1911 and Glock19 on me inside my waist band without being noticed... Im sure a teacher especially females who can wear dresses with a garter holster, can hide a compact or standard sized pistol on them.

Should a student attack a teacher the teacher should be able to physically restrain the student from causing them harm however I had this argument with someone before about that. Supposedly against the law to break your foot off in a kids azz for being physical? I don't agree with that what so ever. Some highschool punk wants to slap or hit a teacher the teacher ought to be able to meet force with force. Kick the kid in the balls. Take the wind out of their sails, put the kid in juvenile detention until they're 18 for it.
So how would SWAT teams storming a school looking for an active shooter, tell the difference between the actual shooter and armed teachers?

Again, how would teachers ensure that students wouldn't have access to their gun? Sorry but arming teachers is such an insanely stupid idea.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:56 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Get rid of the criminals and nuts. Forget the guns.
Eliminating criminals and mental illness from this country would be amazing, if we can only dream!

Old 11-14-2017, 03:57 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
So how would SWAT teams storming a school looking for an active shooter, tell the difference between the actual shooter and armed teachers?

Again, how would teachers ensure that students wouldn't have access to their gun? Sorry but arming teachers is such an insanely stupid idea.
As someone who carries a gun on a regular basis I totally agree

it is an absurdly stupid idea that would end up a disaster.

I support cops in schools but arming teachers is a bad bad bad idea.

To be honest, I know many teachers and I don't have a lot of confidence in them taking out a terrorist. They are great teachers but no so great cops

Old 11-14-2017, 04:01 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This happened in California. It has one of the strictest gun laws in America. However, a school shooting took place. Strict gun laws didn't stop the shooter.
Not hard to buy a gun somewhere else and bring it into California. Most of the guns used in Chicago violence come from places like Ohio.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:03 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:

Lock down drills which were prepared for Do you have ANY idea how long it took police and swat to arrive to the school? Never mind enter the building? I do... I was in those lock-down drills... Like I said, they were prepared for meaning police agencies were on stand by and dedicated to respond to the lock down drill...

Not a random event. Planned for it took about 20 minutes before we heard sirens. 45 minutes before we heard the boots running through the hall ways, and dogs barking and shouts of clear.

That's right its not convenient and not pleasant but I promise you have a teacher armed and trained to respond to an event like this I PROMISE at most 5 to 10 minutes tops. Attacker thwarted.

As I said before. Carry concealed. If its concealed properly how will a kid know? Ill go take a picture right now if you want and you tell me where my pistols are on me if you want...

Old 11-14-2017, 04:04 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
it's too late to talk about gun control.

time to DO something.
As long as Americans are obsessed with guns and the NRA controls Congress, nothing will ever be done.
Quite the irony that the people that always claim how Christian this country is are the ones who love guns the most.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:04 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Not hard to buy a gun somewhere else and bring it into California. Most of the guns used in Chicago violence come from places like Ohio.
I live in Chicago, there is a gun shop 15 minutes from my house. Ive been to their shooting range a couple of times.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:13 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
What good reason do you have for owning a semi-auto, mags over 10 rounds or a handgun? Please explain
Dude, because I want to! Why can't you people get that through your thick sculls?
FYI, I have so much of what you mention it would make you cry! LOL! Thoughts?

Old 11-14-2017, 04:13 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Lock down drills which were prepared for Do you have ANY idea how long it took police and swat to arrive to the school? Never mind enter the building? I do... I was in those lock-down drills... Like I said, they were prepared for meaning police agencies were on stand by and dedicated to respond to the lock down drill...

Not a random event. Planned for it took about 20 minutes before we heard sirens. 45 minutes before we heard the boots running through the hall ways, and dogs barking and shouts of clear.

That's right its not convenient and not pleasant but I promise you have a teacher armed and trained to respond to an event like this I PROMISE at most 5 to 10 minutes tops. Attacker thwarted.

As I said before. Carry concealed. If its concealed properly how will a kid know? Ill go take a picture right now if you want and you tell me where my pistols are on me if you want...
Why are you defending such an idiotic idea? Forget even the SWAT teams, if you arm teachers when you do have an active shooter you run a very high risk that the teachers will end up shooting each other by accident. Teachers wanna teach, they don't want to spend their time training to be commandos. As bad as a spree shooting is, having a confined area like a school turn into the OK Corral will do nothing but kill more innocent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies