Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Al Franken Resign
Yes 165 55.00%
No 82 27.33%
Not sure/maybe/depends/other 53 17.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:32 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Franken forces Dems to finally confront their own sexual assault scandals| McClatchy Washington Bureau

Old 11-17-2017, 08:34 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I was listening to Urban Syrius this morning and they were in a lather over this and its possible impact on the 2018 elections. They also made it a point to imply even more charges are going to be made against politicians and they had better start damage control ASAP to save face.
I'm telling you, something huge is coming and DC and Hollywood are going to implode. Get your pitchforks and torches ready, folks.
IMO politicians have been doing it and getting away with it for decades.
Look how JFK is still looked at as such a great President.
Hollywood scum involvement.....Marilyn Monroe affair
And JFK had many affairs and a womanizer.

I hav always looked at Kennedy as scum.
Sickening how he is still so great as of today.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:36 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Thanks for the corrections. Never thought of him in a Senatorial context. Just a low brow, ******* of a comedian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Al Franken (fix your spelling) is actually a Senator. It's up to the people of Minnesota if they want him to keep that seat unless he steps down or is kicked out by the Senate.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:42 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
What a terrific role model. No need for due process. Guilty.

That is the American way, no? Assign guilt before process?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:42 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Trump tweets this morning that Franken was a hypocrite for criticizing Moore and the like BUT interesting has yet to comment on Moore.

This tells me he gets it -- Trump knows he can't say anything about Moore without being the biggest hypocrite.. Trump talked about being able to go back stage and seeing the women change as a badge of honor, being able to force kiss them, grab women because he was rich , a celebrity. There is no way that we can accept any of this as being trivial in light of what we are discussing now.
And because he owned the pageant at the time.

Quote:
Franken owned his mistake, apologized, said his behavior was unacceptable.

Trump dismissed his comments and behavior (remember he bragged about his behavior) and has yet to speak out against the behavior.

Franken should never have done the kiss or mocked this young lady. He didn't use his power to make her do something she didn't want -- he used his 'maleness'...typical obnoxious, locker room behavior so many brush off. He's realized how bad this is and has apologized. Nobody else comes out -- he did a one of mistake.

Others come out - -he has to own it and suffer the consequences.

And what about our President. No consequences for accusations, admitted behaviors. Disgusting.
I didn't vote for Trump, but one difference between Trump and Franken.......people knew about the accusations against Trump, and he still got elected.....not so with Franken.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Actually, you raise a good point. If the allegations about either true, then should either of them be in the Senate?
Any doubt over the allegations at this point could only be the result of deep hyperpartisanship to the point of psychosis.

Quote:
Kick one out and let the good people of Alabama decide about the other at the ballot box.

Not quite.

The good people of Minnesota placed Franken in office. By your yardstick, it will be up to them to remove him in 2020 if that's their decision.

We'll see in 4 weeks how the good folks in Bama feel about their guy.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:50 AM

144 posts, read 94,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Like I said the other day, I'm burned out. We are entering slippery slope territory with all these accusations. Let the people of Minnesota decide on how they want to deal with him, after all he's their senator. And no, I'm not defending him, I've never liked him. If I hear one more person make an accusation about an incident that happened years ago, I may scream.
Sorry to read that you are burned out about this issue.

Change is stressful, but this is how our society evolves.

I'm not a "wonkette", but I think this summarizes the situation:

https://wonkette.com/625892/you-broke-my-heart-franken

Specifically:
Quote:
Let this be a lesson to all you men out there who hope to do any good in the world: We need you to not be ****ty. To begin with. Not after the fact, when you release your “statement.” We’d love to have you out there, with us, doing awesome things, but if you can’t do that without sexually harassing or assaulting a woman, then you need to step the hell aside and make space for women and those men who can. That is the line we are drawing. So get with the program or go the hell away.
I do agree with you that Minnesota should decide Franken's political future. I also believe that we should evolve to get rid of this type of behavior. Harassment shouldn't be considered a slippery slope.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:54 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Idiotic thread. It was a performance piece.

If Chris Hemsworth was a Senator I guess you'd be here crying and pointing out that since he's Thor he's not really a US citizen and should be removed from office.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:57 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Idiotic thread. It was a performance piece.

If Chris Hemsworth was a Senator I guess you'd be here crying and pointing out that since he's Thor he's not really a US citizen and should be removed from office.
Yea I was thinking something similar. Like saying Arnold Schwarzenegger should not be allowed to hold office because he is a time travelling robot assassin bent on destroying humanity.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:05 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
The photo is evidence of sexual harassment at a minimum. He should probably resign, but if he doesn't, I don't think he should be forced out. It should be left to the voters of MN to decide his fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies