Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:30 PM

493 posts, read 515,220 times

Advertisements

I am of Latino background, and I do speak Spanish fairly well; it is my second language and I lived in a Spanish-speaking country for an extended period of time. However since I've returned to the United States and gone back to work I have CONSTANTLY been spoken to in Spanish by customers WITHOUT BEING ASKED IF I SPEAK SPANISH. Most people don't take the time to ask "Hablas espanol?" conveniently forgetting the fact that we are in the United States of America and English is the primary language! Until just recently I would simply respond in Spanish, but now I am sick of this rude mentality and I don't even bother to respond in Spanish, only in English, until it becomes absolutely necessary for me to communicate in Spanish!

I am sick of this!

Old 11-19-2017, 06:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Ha, try Miami. Good thing I speak Spanish. EVERYONE is assumed to speak it.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:40 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,619 times
A Latino getting upset because others assume that a Latino man speaks Spanish

...oh the horror.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
9Are you upset because people think you look Spanish? I mean, what other reason do you have to be upset? I used to be like you when I was younger in my 20's.
I am native Swedish but my complexion have people thinking I look Italian,Greek or Spanish. It used to bother me because I'm not any of those things, I am Swedish. I used to feel like my identity was questioned. However nowadays I don't care. I'm what I am and look the way I do. Who cares what people think.

Anyways, why does this bother you so much? I would be happy if somebody thought I was Swedish and came up to me and started to speak Swedish.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 11-19-2017 at 06:51 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I am of Latino background, and I do speak Spanish fairly well; it is my second language and I lived in a Spanish-speaking country for an extended period of time. However since I've returned to the United States and gone back to work I have CONSTANTLY been spoken to in Spanish by customers WITHOUT BEING ASKED IF I SPEAK SPANISH. Most people don't take the time to ask "Hablas espanol?" conveniently forgetting the fact that we are in the United States of America and English is the primary language! Until just recently I would simply respond in Spanish, but now I am sick of this rude mentality and I don't even bother to respond in Spanish, only in English, until it becomes absolutely necessary for me to communicate in Spanish!

I am sick of this!
So you ARE Latino and you DO speak Spanish, but it upsets you when people speak to you in your second language? Is this really an issue?

Do you get upset if you are in a spanish speaking country and people speak to you in english?

Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Are you upset because people think you look Spanish? I mean, what other reason do you have to be upset?

Anyways, why does this bother you so much?
Because it is rude to assume that someone speaks a certain language because they look a certain way. And also because we are not in Mexico or Cuba or El Salvador, etc. We are in the United States of America and our primary language is ENGLISH. When I lived abroad I never expected anyone to speak English because I RESPECTED the fact that Spanish was the official and primary language of where I lived.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:48 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
Perhaps OP doesn't want people assuming she is one of the millions of illegals. My cousins are half Mexican but when asked about their ethnicity, say they are French which is half true. Their mom was a legal immigrant from Mexico.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:49 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times
Maybe because these days there are so many people who absolutely refuse to assimilate as they have no desire whatsoever to be American. People USED to come here to enter and assimilate into the culture, now they come to loot it for all they can and destroy any common culture. You are the victim of changing times...

Old 11-19-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Do you get upset if you are in a spanish speaking country and people speak to you in english?
No, I would be happy. But I would not be rude and speak to them in English just hoping or worse, assuming they speak English. At most, I would ask them if they spoke English.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:50 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,993 times
I am Mexican and I never learned Spanish. People speak to me all the time in Spanish and I just politely say " No hablo espanol". Then they continue in english. No harm no foul. I see nothing rude about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies