Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 05:14 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It seems that liberals and conservatives can agree on some things.

I bet it has to do with having had bad experiences. I had an uncle who always wanted me to sit on his lap and I hated it. He never did anything creepy but he didn't come around very often and he always smelled like beer. No one forced me to do it but I was a compliant kid. Ugh.
Not from personal experience but I know there are enough people that are predatory in their actions towards children that I would never force my kids to hug anyone that they aren't comfortable hugging. It's the same way with my young grandsons, if they don't want to hug me, I won't force it out of respect to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 05:17 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I always wondered where all the hugging thing came from anyhow. Growing up, the was no hugging anyone unless it was a date. Not parents, peers, even grandma. Then all of a sudden, everyone wants a hug? As a pastor, I almost never hugged. We were warned about it 30 years ago, too much potential for "problems". Im all for getting rid of all the hugging.
Most of this hugging seems fake to me. Like it is cool to give the hug, or expected. I rarely give out hugs unless it is someone I know personally. Hugging a stranger or someone I barely know seems silly. That goes with saying "I love you" all the time. I hear people throw that out there like saying "hello".

Old 12-01-2017, 05:20 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Haven't read all the replies but there was another thread on it so I'll repeat what I said before.

lol, this is a bunch of crap. Just like the "every kid gets a trophy" mentality.

Yep, I make my kids hug their grandparents. tough coconuts kid. Personally I can't figure out how some people manage to get out of bed. everyone is a rapist, everyone is a child abductor.

We had Thanksgiving dinner and "***gasp*** I made my neice (5) hug me. you know what happen.....nothing. she started giggling after I tickled her.

Call the cops because we also made her eat her vegetables. Oh right we shouldn't do that because it will make her anorexic and have food issues.

yes all 3 year olds who are made to hug relatives will be on Dr. Phil with violation problems.

How do mankind survive. 7 siblings all of us over 50 and somehow we seemed to have figured out what is appropriate and inappropriate touching. I feel bad for kids who have parents that can't seem to figure it out and need the girl scouts to tell them

Old 12-01-2017, 05:41 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
I'm surprised anyone needs to be told this.

And then I read post #113.

The sarcasm clouded that poster's message for me. But the bottom line is I won't make kids hug me, and I will make them eat their vegetables. That makes me a moderate, I believe. (my attempt at sarcasm)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies