Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
For those overly concerned about global warming, can you explain to me why in the last 5 years Ocean temperatures haven't risen at all and, in fact, have slightly declined????

The Mystery of Global Warming's Missing Heat : NPR

Not trying to stir the pot, I've yet to hear a decent answer about it. Personally, I'm on the fence about the issue since it seems each new data that comes out contradicts the last one.
I don't buy into the global warming nonsense. Too many climatologist stand to make too much money from promoting the idea of the sky falling. Since acid rain, strip mining and nukes are no longer topical, bored hippies have also latched onto this ruse for their own reasons (mandatory deindustrialization). It's not a mystery really. The average global temperature dropped like a rock last year. But if you go to the loony left global warming sites, they are still posting the same hockey stick graphs with global average temperatures projected upward to infinity except they haven't updated them since 2007. Now they are calling it global weirding. That way no matter what happens, it is caused by human activity and very, very bad. It's really simple, just follow the money.

Take a look at this gem from the "An Inconvenient Truth" website.

"The vast majority of scientists agree that global warming is real, it’s already happening and that it is the result of our activities and not a natural occurrence.1 The evidence is overwhelming and undeniable."

Moving down the page we see that little 1 indicates the quote used is from an assessment report of IPCC.

1 According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), this era of global warming "is unlikely to be entirely natural in origin" and "the balance of evidence suggests a discernible human influence of the global climate.

An Inconvenient Truth Official Site: Global Warming Science, Climate Change Science, Facts & Evidence (http://www.climatecrisis.net/thescience/ - broken link)

"However, current climate models cannot fully account for the observed difference in the trend between the surface and lower-tropospheric temperatures over the last twenty years even when all known external influences are included. New reconstructions of the surface temperature record of the last 1,000 years indicate that the temperature changes over the last 100 years are unlikely to be entirely natural in origin, even taking into account the large uncertainties in palaeo-reconstructions."

Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis

No they didn't have thermometers 1000 years ago. They're guessing what the temperature might have been and are acknowledging they are having trouble with their models. Even the scientists who would potentially reap financial rewards in the form of research grants are uneasy about their claims. Al Gore leaves that part out. And since when does "is real, it’s already happening and that it is the result of our activities and not a natural occurrence" compare with "New reconstructions of the surface temperature record of the last 1,000 years indicate that the temperature changes over the last 100 years are unlikely to be entirely natural in origin". Lots of hype designed to scare the **** out of people and sell his propaganda DVD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 09:30 AM

25 posts, read 31,390 times
Oh, great. Another [MOD CUT/personal attack] who has no idea what they are saying trying convince us global warming isn't real...I know you think that because you heard it from another idiot, but think for yourself. Denial is the most predictable of all human responses.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-15-2009 at 08:41 AM..

Old 02-14-2009, 12:12 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburg's Rough View Post
Oh, great. Another idiot who has no idea what they are saying trying convince us global warming isn't real...I know you think that because you heard it from another idiot, but think for yourself. Denial is the most predictable of all human responses.

Did you read the entire thread before making that accusation?

I bet not. We've had a fairly decent discussion, quoting studies, references, etc.

So, after all that research most of us here have agreed on the following:
1. Global warming appears to be real--not a myth.
2. Global warming is not caused by man (anthropormorphic)--it is a naturally occurring phenom.
3. There is very little people can do about a problem caused by nature.

So....go back and read the thread...

Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 AM

Hahah...O dear GOD...ok, have you agreed on that all on your own??? Amazing, you know what, your right, I believe you of all people 100%. I think that you know SO much about the earth and our role in it (after all you did spend a WHOLE 1 hour thinking about it) that I'm going to forget all the experts and listen to you.
So, I guess because there is NOTHING we can do, let just sit back and wait to die.....WOW, I can't believe I didn't figure this out before.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:06 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
I think that even IF global warming is natural, we are at the MINIMUM speeding the process along quite a bit. Obviously what we're doing is having disastrous effects on the ozone layer. The evidence is almost 100% conclusive of that.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
The far more intriguing question I have is this:

What pathology is at work in the minds of those who deny mankind is causing climate change?

1) Selfishness/cravenness

2) Ignorance/refusal to accept responsibility

3) Denial/inability to entertain opposing viewpoints

I tend to think all the sufferers of these afflictions have a role but think #2 the chief reason, along with the right wing media, which fans doubt and disinformation to an entirely gullible and uninformed audience

Old 02-15-2009, 11:36 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburg's Rough View Post
Hahah...O dear GOD...ok, have you agreed on that all on your own??? Amazing, you know what, your right, I believe you of all people 100%. I think that you know SO much about the earth and our role in it (after all you did spend a WHOLE 1 hour thinking about it) that I'm going to forget all the experts and listen to you.
So, I guess because there is NOTHING we can do, let just sit back and wait to die.....WOW, I can't believe I didn't figure this out before.
you could have used that hour to actually read the topic at hand, and seen the evidence presented instead of posting hateful and condescending remarks. Please do yourself a favor, start with page 1 and read EVERY post. (including studies within the links.)

Old 02-15-2009, 11:58 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

What pathology is at work in the minds of those who deny mankind is causing climate change?

I tend to think all the sufferers of these afflictions have a role but think #2 the chief reason, along with the right wing media, which fans doubt and disinformation to an entirely gullible and uninformed audience

There is no point in trying to reason with people who attack others as having "afflictions".

Old 02-15-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

There are a couple reasons for this, I think. First of all, when THEY first heard about climate change it was from AL GORE, someone they hate. They figure al gore is an idiot, and will say anything for money. So from the beginning they are disinclined to the idea. Then they talk it over with thier friends, who are also iffy about the idea, but more so hate that Al Gore is saying it. Then they hear there rivals begin to support the idea, and so now it has already become a PARTY issue. From this point on, they begin to find any reason to disprove the idea, not so much because they don't believe it, but because of the messengers. So all this happens and everyone forgets about the only thing that truely matters, the truth. But niether side is looking for the truth anymore, but instead something to prove thier idea. I think it is selfish.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:23 PM

It is not because they are gullible, but beacause they already had thier minds made up before they heard the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies