Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:32 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
if someone can get a CC (which requires a deep background check, and a mandatory class) in one state...should be good for ALL states
We know that is not the case in many states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 07:38 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
we are not talking about "run of the mill gun owners"...we are talking about LICENSED CC holders, that have been through the multi classes, and have had the extensive background check

btw did you know as a retired Military LEO , I don't even need the permit in NY
Yes aware regarding LE.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:38 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We know that is not the case in many states.
oh...link please....

I know for a fact that CC require an extensive background check and a class in all states that give CC

Old 11-30-2017, 07:55 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
But this is exactly the problem; just like NY_refugee87 was indicating, what is legal in one state, say Virginia, I have a Carry Conceal Permit for Virginia, I can carry A Concealed Hand Gun in Virginia, I am not violating the law. My Virginia Carry Conceal permit is recognized in over 30 states with a Carry Conceal Reciprocity. Again all legal.

Now if I choose to visit family some of my family in New York, I cross in to New York while still caring my gun; now I am a felon. I still have a valid Carry Conceal Permit. The problem is New York will not recognize it.

With out a standardization of the firearm laws, these kind of problems will happen.

Now if Virginia state government is OK with me owning a gun; and the Virginia State government is ok with me carry a gun; Why is New York State Government more important.

The Carry Conceal Reciprocity needs to be in place; I do agree if I use my firearm in a unlawful manor; such as open up in a crowd; then I should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. But just crossing a border should not be illegal.

And that is exactly what we have with firearms laws at this point. A convoluted mess.
I disagree with the bolded.

Arizona citizens don't even need a permit to conceal any more. But I just turned in my 5 year renewal and fee just two days ago for my CWP. Only advantage is no NICs check and reciprocity but I did it for exactly those reasons.
I believe reciprocity is good in many areas but I don't believe in Federal Blanket laws that preempt the state's, city's or county's right to set their own firearm policy. What works well in Lubbock, Tx doesn't work well in New York City, for example.
Another example is the old cattle ranges of the west. Everybody had a gun and needed it. When they came to town on occasion, the townspeople quickly found that a no guns allowed or a check your firearms at the entrance was good solid policy.

I do not believe that policy or ability should ever be preempted by the Federal Government.
Right now, as Nevada has reciprocity with Arizona, I carry there, California does not and I don't.

I'm good with that.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:06 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I disagree with the bolded.

Arizona citizens don't even need a permit to conceal any more. But I just turned in my 5 year renewal and fee just two days ago for my CWP. Only advantage is no NICs check and reciprocity but I did it for exactly those reasons.
I believe reciprocity is good in many areas but I don't believe in Federal Blanket laws that preempt the state's, city's or county's right to set their own firearm policy. What works well in Lubbock, Tx doesn't work well in New York City, for example.
Another example is the old cattle ranges of the west. Everybody had a gun and needed it. When they came to town on occasion, the townspeople quickly found that a no guns allowed or a check your firearms at the entrance was good solid policy.

I do not believe that policy or ability should ever be preempted by the Federal Government.
Right now, as Nevada has reciprocity with Arizona, I carry there, California does not and I don't.

I'm good with that.

And I have family in New York; and as their is no reciprocity with Virginia for my carry conceal permit; I am not going to New York.

But the entire point of the problem, there is a patch work of laws, things are legal in one place and illegal in another. And something as fundamental as your wrights should be standardized.

As it stand now, you cross a border from one state to another state; you loos your wrights; you loose almost every method for self defense. In Essence you are saying that the people of New York are more important than the rest of the country. And that is not the case, at best equal, but not better.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:20 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
And I have family in New York; and as their is no reciprocity with Virginia for my carry conceal permit; I am not going to New York.

But the entire point of the problem, there is a patch work of laws, things are legal in one place and illegal in another. And something as fundamental as your wrights should be standardized.

As it stand now, you cross a border from one state to another state; you loos your wrights; you loose almost every method for self defense. In Essence you are saying that the people of New York are more important than the rest of the country. And that is not the case, at best equal, but not better.
And a very good question you pose.

I'll answer that there is precedent in rights. An example of this is that since before and after the Bill of Rights was enacted, any person armed in any fashion must disarm themselves at the request or demand of the property owner.
The property owners rights trump the gun owners rights of self defense. It has always been so. The town's right to prohibit concealed carry, trump the individual's right to feel safe.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:40 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
And a very good question you pose.

I'll answer that there is precedent in rights. An example of this is that since before and after the Bill of Rights was enacted, any person armed in any fashion must disarm themselves at the request or demand of the property owner.
The property owners rights trump the gun owners rights of self defense. It has always been so. The town's right to prohibit concealed carry, trump the individual's right to feel safe.

And to further your point no one has ever tried to broach that on the state level; also in your examples you were asked to hand over your firearm and when you leave it would be returned.

No even possible in todays day and age, could you even imagine the lines trying to enter New York State, if there was such a check.

But criminal changes should be not filed against anyone who is exercising their rights and is legal to do so from the state they reside in.

As in the above scenario, their firearm should be returned if taken as the person is leaving the state of New York.

But here is a further point; your privilege of driving, does not expire when you cross state lines. If you get a speeding ticket, you are not faced with additional charges in New York, because you have a Virginia drivers license.

And your 1st, 4th, 5th and your other rights do not simply evaporate when you cross state borders, only your 2nd amendment rights do.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:56 AM

37,217 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
It's a versatile platform. But you wouldn't know that.

Home defense.
Hog hunting.
3 gun competition.
Plain old target practice.
Truck gun.

Now. Since there's no mention of M16s being used... no assault rifles have been used in home defense.
Just for the record - "Assault Rifle" by definition is a rifle that can swing either way.

If you're using it for hog hunting, I know why you need a 30-shot magazine - you're using absolutely the wrong firearm. a .223 is entirely too small to be hunting in heavy cover, especially an animal with a tough hide and heavy bone structure. You need something with a heavier projectile, at least .30 caliber and preferably a .44 magnum or a .45-70.

Personally, I killed a few with my old .308 while I was hunting, but I had no problem with a 12 gauge pump full of 3-inch 00 buckshot for the majority of them. That same 12 gauge is more than adequate for home defense with a few loads of BBs in it.

Per the dictionary:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...ssault%20rifle

Also, from Wikipedia:

In the United States "assault weapons" are usually defined in legislation as semi-automatic firearms that have certain features generally associated with military firearms, including assault rifles. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, codified a definition of an assault weapon. It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and two or more of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
a bayonet mount
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
a grenade launcher

Some states have passed more restrictive laws, with more inclusive definitions of assault weapons. One example is the NY SAFE Act, which changed the restriction to one or more (rather than two or more) of the above features, and expanded the restricted muzzle devices beyond just flash suppressors to include compensators and muzzle brakes.

Assault weapons legislation does not further restrict weapons capable of fully automatic fire, such as assault rifles and machine guns, which have been continuously and heavily regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed. Subsequent laws such as the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 also affected the importation and civilian ownership of fully automatic firearms, the latter fully prohibiting sales of newly manufactured machine guns to non-law enforcement or SOT (special occupational taxpayer) dealers.[92]

Old 12-01-2017, 02:59 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
How are you supposed to defend yourself from a mass shooting in gun free zones? The gun laws in this country are a hodge podge of nonsense, much like many of the other laws. I suppose we should just leave it up to the states. The second amendment doesn't really mean that much depending on what state you live in. Don't allow guns on school premises, college campuses, night clubs, and then wonder why these mass shootings can get so deadly. Law abiding citizens with no criminal record who go out of their way to get a conceal carry permit by in large are not going to be the ones doing mass shootings, of course there are always exceptions.

It's amazing to think we couldn't even conceal carry in so much of the country back in the 1980's and 1990's.. authoritarian statist types hard at work, the same ones that gave us the war on drugs, alcohol, tobacco, etc. I never honestly thought 17 years ago we'd be rolling back gun laws to give us more gun rights and decriminalizing and legalizing marijuana. A great stride forward in the pursuit of FREEDOM, if even a small one.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:01 AM

37,217 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Infringe. To actively break terms of law or legal contract/agreement.
To act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
ALL forms of gun control are unconstitutional.
OK. Now define "arms".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies