Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:07 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

An increasing number of employers across the country are snubbing American workers for immigrants they say work harder and complain less than their black and white native counterparts, according to a new study. Favoring immigrants fosters workplace discrimination largely against low-skilled black and white American workers, according to the study, published in the winter issue of American Affairs Journal, a quarterly journal about public policy and political thought.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/d363e70...panics%2C.html

Old 11-27-2017, 11:28 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,155,294 times
I can agree with the article, it has been well known, for some time now. Usually the new immigrant worker, who is not as familiar with their rights, would not challenge the boss. Instead, they will do their job, and move on. worried of not being with a paycheck, and having kids to feed, the Immigrant worker must not f it up.

American workers, with a family support system, and ties to the community, will usually challenge authority, and wont let anyone pull one over on them. They will question "why you asking me to do outside my job description" if they feel even slightly cheated.

I cant say it is only a preference to Hispanic and Asian workers, but also African Immigrants, and others.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:54 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
Modern day slaves will always be preferred by employers. If an employer can pay someone peanuts to bust there a$$ and they hold their visa that’s gold. You can catapult your buisness ahead and pad your account to then pay for more equipment off the backs of slaves and then relax in Hawaii as your business runs itself. You can then hypocritically complain about your taxes that funded the military to forcibly take Hawaii away from the natives so you could build a McMansion and sip drinks.

You can build up assets that should have cost hundreds of thousands down to tens of thousands but still charge premium prices for said asset.

Slave labor is a boon to the ownership class. Of course when you have too many slaves building your rental units what happens when very few can afford your 1500 rents?

Old 11-28-2017, 04:15 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
You cannot compare an immigrant worker to a native born American. Two totally different life experiences and perspectives. People who come to America specifically for opportunity are not going to challenge the system. They're doing better than they did in their home country and are just happy to be here. Apples to oranges.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:40 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You cannot compare an immigrant worker to a native born American. Two totally different life experiences and perspectives. People who come to America specifically for opportunity are not going to challenge the system. They're doing better than they did in their home country and are just happy to be here. Apples to oranges.
Thats true, but it does not change the fact that they are filling a job that an american now does not have, it used to be fruit pickers and the like, now is semi professional air conditioned jobs (or in some cases professional jobs).

Of course someone who is grateful to be here and cow towing to some owner for low pay is going to be desirable over someone who is just as much a US citizen as the owenr and expects to be treated as such and paid as such.

Without immigrant labor to exploit there is a sort of forced mutual respect between labor and ownership, as it should be.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:53 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
It's not just low skilled labor. I know AAs are being passed over for African immigrants at the university and peofessional levels. I won't go so far as to say they're "stealing" jobs, but they definitely take spots away from the AAs who affirmative action programs were designed to benefit (and I won't mention the group that benefits from affirmative action the most). This is not an accident. It's not a coincidence that immigration laws changed with the Civil Rights laws. This has been years in the making. Also, people wrongly assume black & brown immigrants are poor. Many of the people I know came from wealth back home. They were upper class there while I, for example, come from the working class. Employers will get what they feel is the best bang for their buck. Of course they will choose someone from a group that will take whatever they dish vs someone from a culture viewed as reformers. That's a no brainer.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:24 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
American workers, with a family support system, and ties to the community, will usually challenge authority, and wont let anyone pull one over on them. They will question "why you asking me to do outside my job description" if they feel even slightly cheated.

I cant say it is only a preference to Hispanic and Asian workers, but also African Immigrants, and others.
who cares about "job description", do it and charge for it. everyone does that except the workers who complain about their rights.

ever go to a shop where you ask them to do something? they say sure but it is an extra charge. even eating out and subsituting an item is a charge.

immigrants dont mind doing the job, they are there to work and get paid, not really any cheaper than hiring others but being willing to do the job goes a long ways

Old 11-29-2017, 01:38 PM

581 posts, read 456,755 times
I'm not surprised to read this. Employers will take advantage any way they can. If they have an immigrant employee who's new to the country, doesn't know his rights and desperately needs his job, they can get away with a hell of a lot more than they'd be able to with native born Americans. "Complain less" is translation for "we can treat you like sh*t and you won't do anything about it."

Old 11-29-2017, 01:47 PM

881 posts, read 616,059 times
Quote:
It's not just low skilled labor. I know AAs are being passed over for African immigrants at the university and peofessional levels. I won't go so far as to say they're "stealing" jobs,
I hate that term -- talk about a sense of entitlement!

Quote:
but they definitely take spots away from the AAs who affirmative action programs were designed to benefit (and I won't mention the group that benefits from affirmative action the most).
Then I'll say it -- white women! (God bless 'em, though!)

Quote:
This is not an accident. It's not a coincidence that immigration laws changed with the Civil Rights laws. This has been years in the making.
Actually, check out The Atlantic from a few months ago for a great reminder on the genesis of our current immigration laws: for all the hue and cry over so-called "anchor immigration," it was meant as a feature, not a bug -- to attract the support of Dixiecrats (you know, white racists) who imagined it a means to settle ever-increasing numbers of European immigrants...not realizing that the postwar prosperity achieved under the Marshall Plan meant that almost only poor Third Worlders would come instead!!

Quote:
Also, people wrongly assume black & brown immigrants are poor. Many of the people I know came from wealth back home. They were upper class there while I, for example, come from the working class. Employers will get what they feel is the best bang for their buck. Of course they will choose someone from a group that will take whatever they dish vs someone from a culture viewed as reformers. That's a no brainer.
Actually, my old Sociology 101 textbook from college noted some study finding that Asian and Amerindian babies were calmer compared to black and white babies....

And no I can't remember the name of the book!

Old 11-29-2017, 01:49 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times
It's very surprising to me that people from relatively poor environments would come to a relatively better environment and bend over backwards to succeed (not to mention, remain) there. Who would have thunk it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies