Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 10:04 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,174,239 times

Advertisements

Would the democrat supporters here voluntarily refuse to take the tax cuts?

Or, would the Republican supporters here voluntarily send in extra tax contributions to help balance the budget?

Funny how for years and years the conservatives wailed and stamped their feet about deficits and the public debt. Cut spending they said. Balance the budget they said. But dangle tax cuts out there and conservatives suddenly don't care about more debt and bigger deficits. It boils down to this: in the conservative universe, deficit spending that helps the community as a whole is bad; but deficit spending that benefits themselves is good. It's the ultimate "me" vote, an expression of selfishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 10:24 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,584,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
You have access to my tax returns to know what I donate annually? Impressive.

Want to explain why billionaires and huge corporations need even more? If the economy is doing as well as trump keeps touting, why do they need even more? And how much of that is going to the poor? How much does trump donate to charity?

I obviously don't, which was why I asked.

So how much will YOU donate?

Old 12-03-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If taxes go up, then there will be less to donate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Good point. I haven't done the calculations to see how I'll be impacted yet, but as I live in a high COL area I may get a hike immediately.

Everyone who is not paying AMT or impacted by the estate tax ($10 mm or higher I believe) will pay more in the next 10 years.

If so, are you for cutting all income taxes? I am all for that.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Or, would the Republican supporters here voluntarily send in extra tax contributions to help balance the budget?

Funny how for years and years the conservatives wailed and stamped their feet about deficits and the public debt. Cut spending they said. Balance the budget they said. But dangle tax cuts out there and conservatives suddenly don't care about more debt and bigger deficits. It boils down to this: in the conservative universe, deficit spending that helps the community as a whole is bad; but deficit spending that benefits themselves is good. It's the ultimate "me" vote, an expression of selfishness.
Good lord our education sucks!!!

To balance the budget, we just need to rein in spending.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:36 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,174,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Good lord our education sucks!!!

To balance the budget, we just need to rein in spending.
So why didn't they cut spending first? $1 trillion worth of cuts to Soc Sec, Medicare, the military. They didn't do it because they know the backlash would be so fierce they'd be voted out in 2018.

You're right about education. Conservatives in Congress are uneducated about basic economic theory. After several repeated failures they still believe in the Trickle Down nonsense. It didn't work in Kansas and this tax bill implements the same failed theories nationwide.

You can't borrow your way into lower taxes.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:38 AM

14 pages, not one taker!!!!

Old 12-03-2017, 10:49 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,107,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I was routinely schooled by democrat supporters here on the importance of the taxes. Shouldn’t we all expect them to write a personal check to cover the reduction caused by the evil Trump tax cuts?

I intend to keep this thread live until the tax season so that democrat supporters can post an image of their check.

Personally I would expect massive amounts of democrats and their supporters send in mountains of checks to prove Trump and Republicans wrong.
Absolutely. On one condition when the debt goes up further then the taxes on Republicans and the 1 percent get increased to cover the entire cost....if Trump starts another war the Republicans cover the cost through self taxation.

But I truly doubt they are capable of that kind of responsibility

Old 12-03-2017, 10:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Democrat / Progressive, the same thing.
I am neither.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:41 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Not a chance. And look 5 pages, so far, of deflections, excuses and failures to answer. You know damn well they aren't going to pay a penny more than they have to and will hire accountants to find every deduction they can, while wailing about how SOME (other) people should pay more in taxes.
How unexpected! (Not.)

Old 12-03-2017, 11:45 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,763,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Democrats didn't care when they were getting what they wanted so why should Republicans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies