Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 08:54 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
The trickle-down idea has long since been debunked.

But I hope all of you also know about the surprising incident where Trump economic advisor Gary Cohn immediately saw the unwillingness of corporate honchos to do anything except hold onto their profits.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/11/...lem-republican

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/17/ceo...tax-cut-money/

https://latest.com/2017/11/watch-top...x-plan-passes/

If the fools in congress go ahead and pass this abomination of a tax-cut bill, they will be tossed out of office next year and the new congress will cancel it all, before it ever takes effect. I wholeheartedly approve of their plan to commit political suicide. There should be a category of the Darwin Awards for politics, that they would receive.

If all you republicans would like to see Trump and Pence tossed out in January, 2019 and the newly-selected Democratic Speaker of the House become president, then you should continue to encourage your senators and representatives to push this tax bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 08:56 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
When we have to live and operate within a budget, so should the government. Why does the government get a pass at operating outside of a budget but you or anyone else can't?

Can you raise taxes on your employer to justify your wasteful spending?
That's not how fiscal policy works - see 2008.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If the fools in congress go ahead and pass this abomination of a tax-cut bill, they will be tossed out of office next year and the new congress will cancel it all, before it ever takes effect. I wholeheartedly approve of their plan to commit political suicide. There should be a category of the Darwin Awards for politics, that they would receive.

If all you republicans would like to see Trump and Pence tossed out in January, 2019 and the newly-selected Democratic Speaker of the House become president, then you should continue to encourage your senators and representatives to push this tax bill.
I know you're trying to make yourself and your fellow liberals feel better with that kind of thinking. But lets look at facts. The middle class, the workers that produce and pay taxes, will see a very nice bonus in their paychecks starting in January (assuming this gets passed). That will demonstrate to them once again the lies of the left and moreso the continued lies of the media that have been parroting the same line you are. And once that happens, once working class voters, like so many here, actually see that, they will know once and for all which party is really working for them.

I understand your terror and desire to see this bill fail. Once it passes and the public sees the truth-the Democratic party is finished.

The Dem party has one chance. In the Senate it takes 60 votes to make the individual tax cut permanent. Otherwise it expires in 10 years. And Rs only have 51 votes. IF 9 Democrats actually grow up and sign on, this becomes a permanent benefit to the middle class. And if they contribute to making that happen-they just might keep their jobs. I'm betting you didn't even know why the individual cut expired, did you? It's not like BSNBC or the Clinton New Network are reporting that.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:16 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Corporate tax should be zero.

Allowing people to keep the money they make legally somehow is a bad idea?

The corporate tax zero? Hmmm So income earned by corporations are not considered income? Interesting. How do I start a church that produces a corporate income? You're right. That would be sweet

Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
For all the folks making appeals to ridicule about a 0% corporate tax...understand that corporations do not pay taxes, consumers do. All the corporate tax rate does is tell corporations how much they need to raise prices to cover the tax and still pull down a profit. It is a pass-through tax paid by consumers. Period, the end.

So whatever the corporate tax rate is, you, me and every other consumer pays it whenever we make a purchase of a good or service. It is baked into the price we pay during the transaction. All corporations do is collect the tax and make quarterly pass-throughs to the government.

EDIT - and the corporate tax is actually the most insidious and regressive tax we have.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:53 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Of course they are. They would send their tax dollars directly to the Koch brothers if they could, the Republican worship of the wealthy is very strong. And this is all so very predictable. Republicans that screamed about the deficit will now gut the country. They will then scream we need to reduce or remove Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. By the way, Medicaid pays for most nursing home care in this country. Many elderly received all three.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:23 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
My question is for those who think corporations should pay zero taxes. Unless the budget is also at zero, somebody must pay.
So you believe corporations should be bearing a significant majority of the tax burden while government gets to expand. Interesting. Don't complain jobs dried up. Don't complain about the board members and investors looking for more cheats. If I were running a fortune 500 company you tell me we have to pay nose bleed rates. You damn right I'm going to shut chit down and go to some 3rd world country where labor is sub 5 per hour. For a manager. My overhead rises, simply because of taxes, and no other reason. Too bad so sad. I was put in charge to deliver a profit. If that means lowering overhead by slave labor so be it. I wasn't hired to lose money. Nor in charge of running the company to please others emotions. You create the problems then a dress the problems with bigger problems via Robin Hood Economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
I don’t know... sometimes conservatives veer off-message to score Internet points, and I get confused. The latest talking point is that red states are tired of “subsidizing” coastal liberals who take advantage of SALT deductions. Which is it? Is tax avoidance good or bad? Does it depend on who’s doing it?
Here's a suggestion. Since you and the other one missed the point completely.
I stated the government has to operate within a budget. Correct? Ok. How come NY was raising taxes and still in the red, yet florida with no state income... had a surplus?
How's that work? Oh that's right. We don't do HEAP WIC welfare etc etc programs that NY does. The standard to collect unemployment is higher than NYs too.
This is the vehicle to make you pay attention and ask why other states have lower taxes yet you pay through the nose. Sucks for people in NY and CA MA CT especially. So. If you like your social programs keep them, don't complain you have to pay tax on them to keep them afloat. Then youd become a Republican

This is for you guys to demand why the operations in your state are so high and force the states hand to re budget and cut back the red tape and restrictions. It's interesting the place I live in, is not only worth more than the lake side bungalow I had in NY. I pay 1800 for property and school combined. Everything is itemized. Alot of services including garbage school Fire EMT police the works I get more services in Florida than I did in NY. Live in a much bigger house. And pay less than I did by a long shot.
Yet this state draws a surplus. Hmm. I wonder where NYs money is going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
And yet you have no problem with Trump spending more tax dollars on his golf trips in less than 1 year than what Obama spent on travel in his term.
I'd be willing to bet cash all of Trump's golf trips even though I agree, kinda hypocritical to call out oblunder then do it every weekend... but I'd be willing to bet the golf trips cost less than oblunder healthcare pet project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

Keep dreaming. I've crunched numbers for myself and a couple others. Everyone's keeping more of their money, some people who were paying in to federal income tax, now will get a refund. Especially young adults that file 0 dependents.

You're so convinced huh.

Guess what. It kills oblunder care. The mandate and the tax. Adios. Gone.
We're done with govt intrusion with health insurance.

If you libs want the Healthcare horse chit go do it in your individual states. Leave everyone else the hell out of it!

Old 12-06-2017, 02:26 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
If you libs want the Healthcare horse chit go do it in your individual states. Leave everyone else the hell out of it!
I'm fine with that as long as no red state refugees are allowed to move to my state and participate. We need a ten year residency requirement to participate. Texas has the lowest percentage of health insured residents in the entire country. Republicans know that reducing the corporate tax will do nothing for individuals, they just worship the wealthy.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Is anyone naive enough to believe in reducing the corporate tax

You mean like Canada, where it's 15%?

Old 12-06-2017, 09:00 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
So, who is going to support the government?
Implement a national sales tax and abolish all income taxes (personal and corporate), property taxes and estate taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies