Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 AM

934 posts, read 403,002 times

Advertisements

It's a serious question. And in the proliferation of news and events that has hit you lately, it is IMHO getting more important than ever.

What made me open this thread is that old moon landing debate. But it also could be anything we heard about Trump this morning. Doesn't matter.

Now, re moon landing – several months ago I repeated my argument below a youtube video and it was not based on my knowledge on astrophysics or expertise in space engineering. Which are, both of them, non-existent. But you can't say that most of debaters have any, either.

So, what I was relying on is what I always try to use – logic and common sense. I said Russians would have laughed NASA out of existence if NASA had faked that landing. They would have been laughing to this very day. In the time of cold war and all that race and espionage, wouldn't they have found out about it.

This of course couldn't save me from the attack of you tube „experts“ . Now, since I am in the group of those who think offence is more taken than given and am also not too attached to those of my opinions that can't be based on the knowledge of the field, I just let it slide with a thought – when guys like Musk start talking about fake Moon landing, I'll reconsider.

But the whole thing left me with this question – how do people choose sources they trust.
We can't be experts on most of the things we hear on daily basis.
We can't witness practically any of that.
We need reliable sources.
How do we find them?

Last edited by switchtoecig; 12-07-2017 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Talking How Do You Choose Who And What to Believe?

I choose to NOT believe.

I accept or reject based on evidence.

Santa Claus is for believers.

And tRump is his favorite elf.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:21 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Basically you can dismiss most liberal claims... they don't even make sense...

Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I choose to NOT believe.

I accept or reject based on evidence.

Santa Claus is for believers.

And tRump is his favorite elf.

ok, how do you choose who to trust?

Accepting or rejecting based on evidence is possible only when you are ABLE to assess the evidence. Sometimes to be able to assess the evidence, you need to be an expert. You can't be expert at everything. So, in case you aren't one, but you find the issue important, how do you choose who to trust?

Old 12-07-2017, 09:37 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Basically you can dismiss most liberal claims... they don't even make sense...

Ha that is true. Yesterday I saw a posting on facebook from a liberal "friend" that followed his daily bashing of Trump posting. The posting was from a feel good group about how we need to accept and love kids that have developmentally or physical issues. Ok that is fine, the kids can't help it and we do need to be more accepting of them... I wanted to write back that Trump was a child one time and some might say he still is so shouldn't charity, good will and acceptance be channeled his way?
I say it is Liberal hypocrisy to be accepting of one group and hating of another.

As for believing, I don't.
How can we believe the media, the Left, the Right, polling or news? Everyone is pushing their own agendas and a smart person will bob along through the tsunami of earth shattering hype. To believe one way or another is to buy into the hysteria and we have seen examples of this from the Liberals and their Trump Derangement Syndrome.
It is not healthy.

A smart person takes everything they see and hear with a grain of salt and listens to multiple news sources before forming an opinion.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I do not trust more than about five people on this planet. The rest get anything ranging from mild skepticism to complete distain. I am will to apply less skepticism to the left than to the right wing politicians. The left I consider sincere, with a few exceptions, but deluded while the right wing are a bunch of greedy shysters using everything from god to patriotism to feed their bank accounts and/or egos. The Donald is the Master of doing both. Using his Presidency to steal and gain endless ego stroking from his minions.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
I trust those who have shown themselves to be trustworthy.

Quote:
Accepting or rejecting based on evidence is possible only when you are ABLE to assess the evidence. Sometimes to be able to assess the evidence, you need to be an expert. You can't be expert at everything. So, in case you aren't one, but you find the issue important, how do you choose who to trust?
Trust those with a track record of honesty.

Reject those with a personal/financial interest.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
By expecting the worse while hoping for the best. Recognize that the monoculture liberal group think promoters are chasing you with butterfly nets. Know that your life depends on out running them.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post

Look for consistency. Look for independent verification. Look for lack of self-interest. Look for consensus among actual experts. Look for clear separation of facts and opinion. If a source is willing to retract a false story, that's a point in favor. If a source is consistently claiming to have evidence of wildly controversial ideas, that's a major point against.

That's how the BBC is more trustworthy than Alex Jones and NASA is more trustworthy than Bill Kaysing.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

As for believing, I don't.
How can we believe the media, the Left, the Right, polling or news? Everyone is pushing their own agendas and a smart person will bob along through the tsunami of earth shattering hype. To believe one way or another is to buy into the hysteria and we have seen examples of this from the Liberals and their Trump Derangement Syndrome.
It is not healthy.

A smart person takes everything they see and hear with a grain of salt and listens to multiple news sources before forming an opinion.
Ok, we're going somewhere with this. Let's say you hear two opposed versions of an event listening to the multiple sources you mentioned. Like the example I gave above. And I'm trying to avoid anything related to left/right, Trump/antiTrump bcs it leads us nowhere. I tried to use common sense and logic - how would people (the other side) behave? Who profits from this? What's in it for them? What are the risks? I try to use what I know about psychology, history, sociology (not an expert either, but still know something). This is basically what I do whether I'm trying to choose my sources or assess an event or events myself. What do you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies