Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,762,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Nope, my brain is fresh and functioning at 100%
You must think I smoke pot to say I have a lazy mind.
Well, I don’t dope up my brain FYI.
I think you have a lazy mind, because you drag out a tired old cliche, that is a massive generalization.

You're lazy because you use that in lieu of an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 03:24 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,793,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I don't like your misleading attention-grabbing subject line.

Yes, the memos will be rescinded. But that doesn't mean "crack down". I believe Trump and/or his advisers knows how big of a hot potato this issue is and hopefully won't act recklessly. From the article your cited:
"crack down" is Fake News. As of today, there has been no "crack down" and as far as I know nobody has announced plans for a "crack down".

Old 01-09-2018, 03:27 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,337,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
"crack down" is Fake News. As of today, there has been no "crack down" and as far as I know nobody has announced plans for a "crack down".
Finn has.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually a crack-down may just be the way MJ finally gets dealt with. Maybe a few raids that will obviously be high profile might just be the thing that gets congress's attention IF enough of the population protest and put pressure on them to do something.

It has to be a large cross section of society, not just the potheads and the usual pro-pot crowd, no, it must include run of the mill people who aren't in the business or users themselves.
Jury nullification could be our best weapon to fight against the war on drugs. Juries need to step up efforts to declare people with drugs "not guilty".

There is no way I would ever convict somebody of drug possession. It would always be "not guilty".

Old 01-09-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Not quite.

There is a little-known amendment to last year's budget that prevents federal funds from being used to do so. It is set to expire a week from Friday (Jan 19th), assuming it doesn't get extended again. But until then it is still hands off.

First, it was extended by Trump himself last year:
Just to be clear, Rohrabacher-Farr is an Amendment to a bill and cannot be extended by Trump. It has to be extended by Congress.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:46 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,337,947 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, Rohrabacher-Farr is an Amendment to a bill and cannot be extended by Trump. It has to be extended by Congress.
It was extended automatically when Trump signed the extended budget. Trump could have made them remove that clause before he would sign off on the agreement, but he didn't do that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwb.../#57a9d8e147ff

Quote:
In his temporary budget-dealing with Democrats, President Trump has agreed to continue a ban on using federal funds to interfere in states' legal cannabis practices, but as 2018 nears, a government stance is largely still up in the air.

Earlier this month, the president and congressional Democratic leaders reached a budget agreement to approve hurricane relief, federal spending, and raising the debt ceiling through the end of the year. The agreement included a Rohrabacher-Blumenauer clause (a.k.a. Rohrabacher-Farr), which will effectively serve to protect state medical marijuana programs from intrusion by federal authorities until Dec. 8, 2017.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:50 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,765,506 times
Quote:
I predict the crack downs will begin soon. As Raddo explained, there has been a ban on any funds for crack-downs, and the bad is set to expire on Jan 19th. Trump extended the ban once (most likely without even realizing it), but did not extend it this time.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:54 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,808,787 times
Quote:
It was extended automatically when Trump signed the extended budget. Trump could have made them remove that clause before he would sign off on the agreement, but he didn't do that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwb.../#57a9d8e147ff
This is good as far as it goes. But it doesn't go very far at all.

Trump could have simply directed Sessions to continue observing the Holder agreement. He could have done that the day he appointed Sessions. And Sessions would have done it. It was and is totally under Trump's control.

I'm thinking that Trump's strategy here is to let Sessions take all the heat, and act like the innocent bystander - "Who, me? I would have done something, but I just couldn't."

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-09-2018 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 04:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,074,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
CO Senator Cory Gardiner has placed holds on DOJ nominees in response to Sessions' announcement.

I have to admit that I am very pleasantly surprised since Gardner has been little more than a cypher since he was elected and that bipartisanship is still possible.

"Colorado’s congressional delegation is pushing back against the decision from U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions last week that dismantled the framework used by states to move forward with sales of state-legalized marijuana.

Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colorado) now has a hold in place on all nominees for positions in Sessions’ Justice Department and plans to meet with the AG at the Justice Department on Wednesday morning."

Further (from the link), "Rep. Jared Polis (D-Colorado) is seeking to defund any federal law enforcement action against state-regulated recreational marijuana as part of the funding bill pending in Congress."

9news.com | Pot pushback: Gardner holds up DOJ nominees
Not because he gives a damn about the people, it's the $$$$$$ that are/could be in jeopardy that got his attention (well, his donors actually).

Gotta love how people are being used as pawns in a corporate money game (which the MJ business is now).

Old 01-09-2018, 05:52 PM

11,161 posts, read 10,744,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually a crack-down may just be the way MJ finally gets dealt with. Maybe a few raids that will obviously be high profile might just be the thing that gets congress's attention IF enough of the population protest and put pressure on them to do something.

It has to be a large cross section of society, not just the potheads and the usual pro-pot crowd, no, it must include run of the mill people who aren't in the business or users themselves.
There is already a large cross-section of society that supports legalized marijuana, but they aren't vocal about it. A crackdown would, most likely, encourage those people to come forward more openly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe they'll put the pot-shops out of business, then legalize it and hand it over to big-tobacco. If GOP was ever to legalize it, that would be the way they'd handle it.

However, everything indicates the opposite is going to happen, and we are going back to full ban.
IMO, it's too late for a crackdown or full ban on marijuana to actually work. The proverbial cat is already out of the bag, and no amount of federal enforcement is going to put it back in. If anything, federal enforcement will make legalization come sooner rather than later, as more people become vocal about their support for it and question the idiocy that is the War on Drugs.

To top it off states such as Colorado and Washington have already given a big middle finger to the federal government on this issue, with Gardiner being at least publically willing to hold DOJ nominations hostage over the issue. The testing ground of Colorado, showing that the legalization of marijuana doesn't really cause the symptoms shown in Reefer Madness, went a long way toward convincing those who were on the fence about marijuana to come down on the side of legalization.

In some ways, the removal of the order could be just the catalyst needed to get the push for national legalization off the ground and force the federal government to finally stop persecuting people for owning a plant.

With all the craze lately for getting rid of anything that even remotely smacks of racism, I'm kind of surprised that the ban on marijuana wasn't the highest item on the list. The entire fiasco of delegalizing marijuana was built on the propaganda of racism.

Quote:
Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men.​

~Harry J. Anslinger - Director of the FBN (now known as the DEA)
Quote:
There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.

~Harry J. Anslinger​​
Quote:
The primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.

~Harry J. Anslinger​
Seriously, can anyone imagine the results of a politician saying that sort of racist crap today? Come on, all you social justice warriors, stand up and fight racism!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies