Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is abortion a "no compromise" issue for you?
Pro-life and would never vote for a pro-choice candidate 17 12.78%
Pro-life but would vote for a pro-choice candidate 17 12.78%
Pro-choice but would vote for a pro-life candidate 45 33.83%
Pro-choice and would never vote for a pro-life candidate 54 40.60%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:47 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Both sides typically use abortion as a wedge but conservatives do moreso. Most people I know who are supporting Roy Moore are doing so because he's the pro-life candidate and even with his accusations, it's still better to have a tainted pro-life candidate than somebody like Doug Jones who is pro-choice. Since Jerry Falwell made the issue one of the defining issues for the GOP in the '80s, abortion has become the litmus test and the end all/be all of issues for many conservatives. Many will vote against their own interests based off this one issue alone. Republicans know this which is why they are able to implement policies that are detrimental to their core supporters yet they don't have to worry about re-election. They are against abortion and that's all that matters.

So how does abortion play into your own politics? Is it a "no compromise" issue for you?
It is a non issue for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 01:53 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
It is not. And that's mainly because even if I voted for a "pro-life" candidate, I know that abortion law is not changing anytime soon.

People really need to move on from this distracting-as-all-hell issue. The 1970's are over, it is time to move on.

I honestly don't know why we even ask candidates where they stand on this issue. It is completely irrelevant.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:56 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I honestly don't know why we even ask candidates where they stand on this issue. It is completely irrelevant.
You must be a man. When the government starts dictating to you what you can and can't do to your own body and how you have to handle your health and well being...we will see just how irrelevant it is.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:57 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Is abortion a "no compromise" issue for you?
I don't really care. I prefer pro-choice. I can handle pro-life if they are tolerant of other beliefs.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
You must be a man. When the government starts dictating to you what you can and can't do to your own body and how you have to handle your health and well being...we will see just how irrelevant it is.
We are a pro-choice nation, and that is not changing anytime soon (thankfully).

It is none of my business if an individual wants to get an abortion - it is ultimately, as you mention, a women's choice. There are restrictions on when you can/can't get an abortion (I'd argue mostly for good reasons) - but our laws have not changed drastically in any way for a long time.

We need to move on from this issue as a nation - it is 2017! We have more important things to be worrying about. This is a settled issue.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:59 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,254 times
I am PRO-LIFE but will never oppose Roe-Vs-Wade. Reason? I will never be that 14 year old raped and impregnated girl who needs a way out of that trauma be it by means of abortion, giving the child up for adoption, or keeping and nurturing that wonderful child.

IMO, abortion should be discouraged but kept as a legal recourse of last resorts should adoption or raising the child be not an option.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:11 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,271 times
Quote:
We are a pro-choice nation, and that is not changing anytime soon (thankfully).

It is none of my business if an individual wants to get an abortion - it is ultimately, as you mention, a women's choice. There are restrictions on when you can/can't get an abortion (I'd argue mostly for good reasons) - but our laws have not changed drastically in any way for a long time.

We need to move on from this issue as a nation - it is 2017! We have more important things to be worrying about. This is a settled issue.
Ok first off, I apologize for coming across so rudely (wound up from another thread). Second, I still feel that it is an important issue whether it is 1970 or 2017. Yes, we definitely have other issues that are very important to focus on as well, but this one is still as important.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Ok first off, I apologize for coming across so rudely (wound up from another thread). Second, I still feel that it is an important issue whether it is 1970 or 2017. Yes, we definitely have other issues that are very important to focus on as well, but this one is still as important.
No worries - I was not trying to imply that it is not important to protect. But I think the threats to it being overturned are incredibly overstated.

People really need to understand what would need to be done - we are talking about overriding > 40 years precedent and a Supreme Court ruling.

That is a very, very remote threat.

I mainly take issue with people escalating abortion to being an issue people use to decide who they vote for - that is ludicrous! We should be discussing real issues facing us today - not issues that were settled by the supreme court before many of us were even born!

Where a candidate stands on this issue is very far on my list of factors that I deem important.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:26 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
No worries - I was not trying to imply that it is not important to protect. But I think the threats to it being overturned are incredibly overstated.

People really need to understand what would need to be done - we are talking about overriding > 40 years precedent and a Supreme Court ruling.

That is a very, very remote threat.

I mainly take issue with people escalating abortion to being an issue people use to decide who they vote for - that is ludicrous! We should be discussing real issues facing us today - not issues that were settled by the supreme court before many of us were even born!
Nope, your analysis is way off. The threat is a real and present danger. One more change in the Supreme Court and one of the many abortion related cases that come before SCOTUS every year (based on newly enacted State laws) could very well lead to overturning Roe. Right now, a lot of these cases don't get heard because far more cases come for SCOTUS review than they actually take the time to hear. But that could easily change with a different balance on the court.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Nope, your analysis is way off. The threat is a real and present danger. One more change in the Supreme Court and one of the many abortion related cases that come before SCOTUS every year (based on newly enacted State laws) could very well lead to overturning Roe. Right now, a lot of these cases don't get heard because far more cases come for SCOTUS review than they actually take the time to hear. But that could easily change with a different balance on the court.
You ignore the realities of what it would mean to overrule > 40 years of legal precedent and a SCOTUS ruling. That is immense, and would take a monumental shift in the SCOTUS to get there (plus a case that could realistically challenge the 1970's SCOTUS ruling).

The more real threat is abortion becoming more regulated through various state-level laws - and I agree that the fight should be waged there. But an actual overturning of abortion law at the SCOTUS level? I just don't see it. At least, anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies