Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
OK, I get that. But that applies to individual cases, it's not a general rule, as in "A person who is prescribed hormones is automatically discharged."

You're going to have to show that hormone treatments actually do interfere with the performance of duties. And frankly, I don't see how you can, as a general one-size-fits-all statement. There are plenty of military folks who don't do guard duty or carry weapons.

I was never in the military myself, but I was a military spouse and getting birth control pills was not a hassle - they were prescribed for me by a military physician and carried on base in a foreign country. Even then there were some women in the military, and I'm assuming that those birth control pills were not being stocked for just my benefit.
I assume birth control pills and hormonal treatments transgender people take are two different things. If you don't take birth control pills, you should be fine.

According to this article,

If you decide to stop taking hormones, you may require medical monitoring to ensure that your hormonal levels do not put you at increased risk for osteoporosis, or other health concerns. This is particularly true for masculine transitioning who have undergone an oophectomy (removal of the ovaries).

Military simply cannot provide the best treatment they need. So why join?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
My gosh this is so very true. They screwed a friends back up and he was medically retired at 16 years in because they screwed him up so bad. Another friend needs a disc replacement in his neck and NO ONE will touch him on base. Their solution...drugs and steroid shots. I don't want them doing surgery on me unless it is a last resort.
The military screws a lot of people up. I would be fine with barring everyone.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The military screws a lot of people up. I would be fine with barring everyone.
well, those who are very successful in the military are also very successful in the civilian world. some people just can't hack it in the military. <shrug>

Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, those who are very successful in the military are also very successful in the civilian world. some people just can't hack it in the military. <shrug>
Being forced to kill innocent people will do that to you.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Do what to you? What innocent people?

Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I assume birth control pills and hormonal treatments transgender people take are two different things. If you don't take birth control pills, you should be fine.

According to this article,

If you decide to stop taking hormones, you may require medical monitoring to ensure that your hormonal levels do not put you at increased risk for osteoporosis, or other health concerns. This is particularly true for masculine transitioning who have undergone an oophectomy (removal of the ovaries).

Military simply cannot provide the best treatment they need. So why join?
Well, I'm a little fuzzy on that myself, but that's not what we're discussing.

What we're discussing is whether the military actually does automatically discharge people who are taking prescribed hormones. And so far, the answer seems to be "no".

And if they don't automatically discharge women who are take regular estrogen for menstrual problems or testosterone for endometriosis, and they don't automatically discharge men who are taking estrogen for prostate problems or testosterone for infertility, then I fail see why they should automatically discharge trans-gender folks because they take regular estrogen and/or testosterone.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
OK, I get that. But that applies to individual cases, it's not a general rule, as in "A person who is prescribed hormones is automatically discharged."

You're going to have to show that hormone treatments actually do interfere with the performance of duties. And frankly, I don't see how you can, as a general one-size-fits-all statement. There are plenty of military folks who don't do guard duty or carry weapons. They pass basic training and never again carry a weapon, because their regular duty assignment doesn't require it.

I was never in the military myself, but I was a military spouse and getting birth control pills was not a hassle - they were prescribed for me by a military physician and carried on base in a foreign country. Even then there were some women in the military, and I'm assuming that those birth control pills were not being stocked for just my benefit.
Here’s a first hand example. I could not join the Navy because I had tubes in my ears. Once the tubes were out I could join. If I needed the tubes again the Navy would put them in and I could continue to serve. The difference here is my tubes were a medical necessity proven by a medical doctor. Wanting medication and or surgery to alter your physical appearance to the sex you identify with is not a medical necessity.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:

What we're discussing is whether the military actually does automatically discharge people who are taking prescribed hormones. And so far, the answer seems to be "no".

And if they don't automatically discharge women who are take regular estrogen for menstrual problems or testosterone (prescribed for endometriosis), and they don't automatically discharge men who are taking estrogen for prostate problems or testosterone for infertility, then I fail see why they should automatically discharge trans-gender folks because they take regular estrogen and/or testosterone.
well, like I posted earlier

Discharge or retirement usually depends on the conditions’ severity, amenability to treatment and, in particular, interference with performance of duties. These factors are often stated in the medical standards.

So that right there should prevent transgenders from joining the military.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Wow, such a general statement about the entire military service. I served 8 years in the military and I didn’t kill anyone. Entire 8 years I was in the military I held a gun for a few minutes one day in boot camp. You should probably learn more about the military before making such broad generalizations

Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:

And if they don't automatically discharge women who are take regular estrogen for menstrual problems or testosterone for endometriosis, and they don't automatically discharge men who are taking estrogen for prostate problems or testosterone for infertility, then I fail see why they should automatically discharge trans-gender folks because they take regular estrogen and/or testosterone.
This examples you gave are for valid medical conditions. Believing you are not the sex you were born with isn’t a medical condition, it’s a psychiatric issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies