Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should females be allowed to have a choice to abort a fetus?
Yes 276 85.71%
No 46 14.29%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:08 AM

18,404 posts, read 19,040,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I fully admit I'm no expert and so I question why if a pill (RU486 Morning After pill) is available right after unprotected sex or if there's any question about some sort of failure why women even have to consider abortion? Why wouldn't any woman have a few on hand for those unplanned moments?

Aren't they available OTC and not very expensive compared to pregnancy?
The same questions could be asked about men who don’t bother to use birth control. Men should be more responsible for their sperm. If they were so many of them would not be reluctant dads or worse dead beat dads. I would guess most men who don’t use birth control themselves would rather a woman abort than give birth.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:11 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
The same questions could be asked about men who don’t bother to use birth control. Men should be more responsible for their sperm. If they were so many of them would not be reluctant dads or worse dead beat dads. I would guess most men who don’t use birth control themselves would rather a woman abort than give birth.
well yeah..but this whole argument isn't really about abortion, it's about control of women & anyone who thinks otherwise is really, really stupid

Old 12-30-2017, 10:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
well yeah..but this whole argument isn't really about abortion, it's about control of women & anyone who thinks otherwise is really, really stupid
Actually from my perspective it's about both sexes having equal control since it takes both to cause the issue to begin with...

Old 12-30-2017, 11:06 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Actually from my perspective it's about both sexes having equal control since it takes both to cause the issue to begin with...
nope, not equal control because you are not the one who gets pregnant. Claiming that a man should have 'control' over what happens to a fetus sounds a heck of a lot like the plot of a Handmaid's Tale, have you watched it?

Old 12-30-2017, 11:20 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,044,485 times
Quote:
I fully admit I'm no expert and so I question why if a pill (RU486 Morning After pill) is available right after unprotected sex or if there's any question about some sort of failure why women even have to consider abortion? Why wouldn't any woman have a few on hand for those unplanned moments?

Aren't they available OTC and not very expensive compared to pregnancy?
First of all, RU486 induces abortion. The "morning after pill" attempts to prevent implementation of a potentially fertilized egg. Two different medications, two different purposes.

The MAP can be effective and sexually active women who either have unprotected sex or for whom their methods can be prone to human error might be wise to keep it on hand.

However-it's still essentially a heavy duty dosage of birth control pills, which can come with pretty extreme side effects and is blatantly unsafe for women who are unable to take hormonal birth control (for risk of stroke blood clots, etc). It's useful for many but not for all.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
How do you equally "control" something that happens to one person's body? About only half?

Old 12-30-2017, 11:24 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,806,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Women always have a choice.

The first is abstinence.

The second is effective contraception.

The third is motherhood.

The fourth is adoption.

There is no practical need for any other choices outside of medical emergency.

The overwhelming number of abortions are preformed as a matter of convenience for someone that has passed on the first two choices and is unwilling to consider the third and fourth options.

When you say, "women should always have a choice.", why would any choices beyond the four I've listed be needed?

What if the woman was raped by a relative? What if she discovers that she has ovarian cancer and is pregnant? What if the fetus is so badly damaged that it will never have any quality of life?

What if the religious ideology minded their own business and stopped trying to push their agenda on people who will never follow that ideology?

Old 12-30-2017, 11:25 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,123,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
nope, not equal control because you are not the one who gets pregnant. Claiming that a man should have 'control' over what happens to a fetus sounds a heck of a lot like the plot of a Handmaid's Tale, have you watched it?
So you'll agree that since a man has no control or say then he equally should not be held financially responsible for said decision?

Old 12-30-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
So you'll agree that since a man has no control or say then he equally should not be held financially responsible for said decision?
Ah, this old nugget. Such an original thought! Here you go, on e more for the cheap seats: a fetus is part of a woman's body. women get to make medical decisions about their own bodies. Men are not legally required to pay for abortions.

A child is an independent minor person who has a legal right to financial support from its two biological parents.

Whining on the internet about how biology isn't fair won t change that. And good luck finding the politician who will run on a platform advocating men to legally abandon financial responsibility for their children.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:41 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,123,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Ah, this old nugget. Such an original thought! Here you go, on e more for the cheap seats: a fetus is part of a woman's body. women get to make medical decisions about their own bodies. Men are not legally required to pay for abortions.

A child is an independent minor person who has a legal right to financial support from its two biological parents.

Whining on the internet about how biology isn't fair won t change that. And good luck finding the politician who will run on a platform advocating men to legally abandon financial responsibility for their children.
Well if the woman wasn't responsible with the birth control and the man doesn't want a child he should either get a say in the abortion or not be held liable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies