Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 06:48 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times

Advertisements

I would support this in my local school. Kids don’t need cell phones during school hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 06:52 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Not against this.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:52 PM

404 posts, read 193,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
France's education chief says that when students go back to school next fall, all mobile phone use will be banned in schools for students roughly 15 and younger.
"These days the children don't play at break time anymore; they are just all in front of their smartphones, and from an educational point of view, that's a problem," Education Minister Jean-Michel Blanquer said, according to The Telegraph.

"We are working on this issue, and it can take different forms," Blanquer said. "You may need a mobile phone, for example for educational purposes, for emergency situations" so perhaps the phones can be confined to lockers. "The students are addicted to their phone, it's a real plague," Xavier Bessière, teacher of maritime law at a vocational school told Le Monde. "We close our eyes, that's for sure, because we cannot fight. We would be the gendarme "police" all the time."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...nes-in-schools

Sadly this will never happen here in the states kids go to school to learn not to text and keep up on social media sites. I can parents standing behind their kids when they complain that the schools banned cellphone use.
Vive Le France !

Old 12-12-2017, 06:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
GREAT plan, needed here too. Everyone can get thru school without a phone in their hands. DUmb DUmb DUmb..

Old 12-12-2017, 06:58 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The funny part is if it were suggested in America, the red states would be opposed to it on principle because "ain't no gubermint gonna tell us what to do," ironically resulting in even lower educational performance as their kids spend all day fiddling with their cellphones.
You're quite the scholar in deciding for everyone what people in a "red" state would do. I'm certain you've spent years researching this.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:14 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
That would be hard to enforce between classes.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
France's education chief says that when students go back to school next fall, all mobile phone use will be banned in schools for students roughly 15 and younger.
"These days the children don't play at break time anymore; they are just all in front of their smartphones, and from an educational point of view, that's a problem," Education Minister Jean-Michel Blanquer said, according to The Telegraph.

"We are working on this issue, and it can take different forms," Blanquer said. "You may need a mobile phone, for example for educational purposes, for emergency situations" so perhaps the phones can be confined to lockers. "The students are addicted to their phone, it's a real plague," Xavier Bessière, teacher of maritime law at a vocational school told Le Monde. "We close our eyes, that's for sure, because we cannot fight. We would be the gendarme "police" all the time."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...nes-in-schools

Sadly this will never happen here in the states kids go to school to learn not to text and keep up on social media sites. I can parents standing behind their kids when they complain that the schools banned cellphone use.

What kids do on their BREAK TIME is their business, so there shouldn't be an "educational point of view" to that.

As far as usage in class, hell no. That shouldn't be allowed today, any more than it was when I was a kid. Wait....okay.....we weren't allowed to listen to transistor radios in class when I was a kid.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:28 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What kids do on their BREAK TIME is their business, so there shouldn't be an "educational point of view" to that.

As far as usage in class, hell no. That shouldn't be allowed today, any more than it was when I was a kid. Wait....okay.....we weren't allowed to listen to transistor radios in class when I was a kid.
Yeah, I think this law would pertain to break time.

When I was in school, mobile phones were banned during class. Teachers wouldn't hesitate to confiscate any phones they saw out.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:53 PM

1,203 posts, read 618,976 times
Cellphones were illegal to have in schools in Illinois from the 1980s to 2002. In the wake of September 11th, they decided to repeal the law and let the individual school districts decide. The law had its origins with pagers.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:03 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It should be up to the schools.
It should be up to the schools! Yes!
And maybe, in theory, it is up to the principal in some areas. But there appears to be not one single public school principal in America who understands the issue. They nibble around the edges of problems, make specific rules for specific cases but always back down when someone - anyone! - is unhappy.

Public education is a wreck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies