Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:05 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,620,541 times

Advertisements

Did this ignorant woman ever stop to consider that these people speaking Korean might have been tourists in our country?

Old 12-15-2017, 01:40 AM

272 posts, read 134,564 times
She quotes obama about speaking english , and this is the bay area , probably one of the most Democrat dominated places in the country.

You think this might be more about the fact she might have mental problems and homeless, she looks crazy, disheveled clothes, receding hairline, strange behavior typing numbers senselessly on her computer.

The "dialogue" should be about the crazy amount of homelessness , crime, etc in ultra liberal places in this country. I am sure asian tourists would be more frightened by stuff like this video. This is the richest city in a first world country in the silicon valley area?

Most first world asian countries dont tolerate crime ,antisocial behavior, and homelessness like we do

news story and robbery from live report on the kate steinle shooting in San Francisco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79w2iRpzI10

Old 12-15-2017, 01:47 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Imagine if you went to Korea and couldn't speak Korean. Then they demand "This is Korea, please speak Korean". Nobody would get upset about it.
Its true. Japan is worse. When I was in Japan last summer, the Japanese "bouncers" would "X" people (i.e. not let them in) if it looked like they were western/didn't speak Japanese. But we were all told to be "culturally sensitive" and to respect Japanese society Granted, the two people weren't hurting anyone and the woman should've kept her trap shut, but this certainly isn't racist.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,554 times
I am definitely surprised that that happened in Walnut Creek, its pretty expensive, with plenty of Asian - Americans there, that woman needs to shape up!

Old 12-15-2017, 02:08 AM

934 posts, read 402,454 times
Her reasoning makes no sense whichever scenario you put the two Koreans in. Should I be complaining about all those American tourists hurling to my birthplace to see where part of Game of Thrones was filmed, just bcs they didn't magically master Croatian in advance so they could be able to speak it among themselves upon their arrival. Gee, I would've been voted the idiot of the year where I live (and, believe me, the competition is yuge).

When my daughter and her boyfriend went to France to complete their graduate project, no one expected one word of French from them. Not even the French English was official among University's international guests. And they spoke Croatian wherever they went as a couple. No one complained.

I have an old friend in NY. Both of us are fluent in English. But it's not our native tongue in which all our common memories were made. If I come visit and we meet at Starbucks or elsewhere, this lady somehow believes we should speak English or "be quiet"?

I can see how people, especially minorities, can be pissed off by this crap. This is a behaviour that could be associated with colonial masters of the bygone era, at least in the mentality. She can go wherever the heck she wants and speak English or whatever she wants, but she doesn't want to hear their language at "her" Starbucks, so either speak English or "be quiet".

Last edited by switchtoecig; 12-15-2017 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-15-2017, 02:54 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Nothing racist about a rude rant.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:04 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Maybe I missed it for the decade+ that I lived there, but demanding a foreigner to speak Japanese seems uncharacteristically rude for Japan. They're familiar with and prepared for visiting foreigner by now. Before I left, Tokyo started a big project to make city signs and trains easier to read for Olympic tourists who don't know any Japanese.
Montreal is the only place I ever been to where the locals made a huge deal out of speaking a specific language. Folks were quite rude about it. Which was strange as everyone seemed to speak both English and French with little trouble.

Was in a butcher shop in Germany once where the guy behind the counter was making a big deal out of how he couldn't understand an English speaking customer.

"You are in Germany, you should be speaking German," he finally said.

"We won the war. You should be speaking English," replied the customer.

At which point, the German butcher displayed a solid grasp of what the English speaking customer wanted to purchase.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:05 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Maybe I missed it for the decade+ that I lived there, but demanding a foreigner to speak Japanese seems uncharacteristically rude for Japan. They're familiar with and prepared for visiting foreigner by now. Before I left, Tokyo started a big project to make city signs and trains easier to read for Olympic tourists who don't know any Japanese.
It is difficult to imagine anyone in Japan making public comments about the language two other people were using in a private conversation.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Has it occurred to anyone that maybe the woman was mentally ill? Maybe she is on meds that screwed her up even more. It happens and it happens a lot.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:40 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
SMH...just plain stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People don't like it if you don't speak the local language while in their country.

Go to France, Italy, Japan or India, etc., and you will see the same thing. This is true the world over.
Nope, depends on the country. Hilarious that you mention India. Do you know how many languages are spoken in India? The official language is Hindi and it isn’t even spoken by half of the population. Speaking English is more than helpful as it is the language of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies