Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 10:16 AM

1,194 posts, read 726,049 times

Advertisements

You're constantly complaining and bashing Trump. Fine what would you do differently than what Trump is doing.

What would the "LIBERAL PLAN" be for the following???

1. Healthcare

2. Econonmy

3. Education

4. Energy

5. Immigration

6. Foreign Policy

7. Taxes

8. Border Security

9. Homeland security

10. ISIS Threat

11. North Korea Threat

12. Social Security

13. Deficit Reduction

14. The Military

Last edited by fordtrucks; 12-18-2017 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 10:27 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
I am liberal, but I don't think it necessarily works well for anyone when one party is in charge of all three branches. Preferably the House is one party and the Senate is the other. That ensures (or at least boosts the chances of) sensible, bi-partisan solutions. Right now, some of the liberals are waaaaay off to the left and many of the conservatives are waaaaay off to the right. If we could have more moderate liberals and conservatives and if each party had control of one branch of Congress, that would be much better.

As for specifics, I'd like to see universal healthcare, a non-trickle-down tax system (because it hasn't worked before and isn't going to work now), the Dreamers allowed to get citizenship, and guaranteed Social Security and Medicare.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
wow. you're going to have to give me a while to answer this ...

1. Healthcare - Single payer should cover the most routine and affordable 50 - 80% of care. Private sector (the individual consumer) should cover the other, more exotic 20-50%. The funding should come from the 'general fund.' Totally eliminate Medicare and Medicaid and VA healthcare, and roll it into a single plan available to everyone.

2. Econonmy - No 'silver bullet' here. We're doing OK economically, we just need the gains to be better-distributed. Affordable education, housing, and healthcare are the pressing issues with the economy; we should stop actively making these problems worse.

3. Education - Reduce the volume of student loans available per-student; dramatically increase the Pell Grant(s) for poor people. Universities need to do more with less and start teaching instead of pretending to be research agencies.

4. Energy - Micro-generation grants funded by a small CO2 tax. Rooftop solar should be the norm.

5. Immigration - More-secured southern border; fewer illegal immigrants. Sign immigration pacts with military/economic allies like UK, Australia, S. Korea, Japan, so most of our immigrants come from countries we trade with, and so our kids have the opportunity to move abroad if they want. Eliminate diversity lottery, eliminate or radically reform "foreign work visas" for farmhands and tech workers alike, to increase wage levels.

6. Foreign Policy - More internationalist. Keep NAFTA. Persist with more Free Trade agreements, but stop pushing things like intellectual property. Do NOT give over our sovereignity to the UN, or World Bank, or any other international organization. U.S. sovereignity is paramount, but we need to be far more considerate of foreign attitudes.

7. Taxes - Reduce dependency on personal income taxes; that is, keep corporate and personal income tax rates low, i.e. 20%ish, but further reduce all types of deductions, benefits, write-offs, et cetera, available to business. Create a federal tax on land. Gasoline tax of 40%. Eliminate FICA taxes. Perhaps a special tax on certain types of monopolies; broadband, real estate income, et cetera. Seek to ensure that there is no tax preference on capital/capital gains/corporate income, and no tax penalty for wage income.

8. Border Security - Start putting business executives in jail for hiring or contracting out to illegal immigrants. Dry up the flow of work available to illegals.

9. Homeland security - Reduce the bureaucracy surrounding air travel and security. Generally reduce spending here.

10. ISIS Threat - Not really our problem, but we should continue contributing in the fight largely as Trump/Obama have been.

11. North Korea Threat - Good question! I have no good answer for this. I would not attack North Korea first, I know that much.

12. Social Security - Peg the retirement age as (Life Expectancy average of both genders - 15 years). Eliminate FICA entirely and fund SS via the general fund.

13. Deficit Reduction - Let's not kid ourselves, no party cares about deficit reduction.

14. The Military - Needs to be cut from about $500 billion to about $300 billion, with cuts falling heavily on the U.S. Army and its projects, as well as bases in Europe. U.S. Navy and Asia-Pacific bases should be kept.

-------------------

VOTE LE ROI 2020

Last edited by le roi; 12-18-2017 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-18-2017, 10:46 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,441,673 times
They would just make all three one single branch.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:03 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,154,471 times
Fordtrucks,

As a good liberal, I would raise the taxes to 100% for white males and eliminate taxes on all other groups. I would abolish all private property and force everyone onto collective farming communities. I would import as many Muslims and Third World immigrants as possible. I would force children to become homosexuals and/or transgendered in school.

*cough*

*sarcasm*

Old 12-18-2017, 11:07 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,068 times
First of all, as a social liberal and lover of this country, I don't ever want to see any one group "in charge" of all three branches of government. That's a Trumpian approach along the lines of trying to get the Justice Dept into one's pocket. I want independent checks and balances.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:30 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,981 times
See blue comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
You're constantly complaining and bashing Trump. Fine what would you do differently than what Trump is doing.

What would the "LIBERAL PLAN" be for the following???

1. Healthcare
Fix Obamacare...it has flaws, but can be repaired.
2. Econonmy
Infrastructure plan. No tariffs. Minor changes to a new NAFTA.
3. Education
More control back to local school boards
4. Energy
Solar. Wind. There is no clean coal (my Dad was a coal miner).
5. Immigration
DACA via legislation. NO WALL. Smart security at borders, higher qualifications for BP and ICE Agents (they are under-educated and not properly vetted)
6. Foreign Policy
[color="blue"]COOPERATE with our Allies. Heavy sanctions against Russia for election interference.
More sanctions on N. Korea./COLOR]
7. Taxes
Everyone pays on their own income (married, single, etc.). NO DEDUCTS of any sort.
Rates: 50K or less: 10%; 50K+ to 100K: 15%; 100K+ to 250K: 20%; above 250K: 25%. Will have a surplus in a matter of a few years

8. Border Security
See # 5 Immigration above
9. Homeland security
Repeal parts of Patriot Act that adversely affects US Citizens v. Non-citizens (right now there are many US citizens adversely affected that should not be).
10. ISIS Threat
Fight them "over there" and form alliances as needed

11. North Korea Threat
Sanctions via our allies

12. Social Security
Raise the FICA tax so there is no threshold on payroll taxes...you pay FICA on ALL your salary. Will make the system self-sufficient within a few years.

13. Deficit Reduction
See comments under #7, Taxes

14. The Military
Find waste in weapons systems; no new weapons system without two-thirds Senate vote.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:49 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
wow. you're going to have to give me a while to answer this ...

1. Healthcare - Single payer should cover the most routine and affordable 50 - 80% of care. Private sector (the individual consumer) should cover the other, more exotic 20-50%. The funding should come from the 'general fund.' Totally eliminate Medicare and Medicaid and VA healthcare, and roll it into a single plan available to everyone.

2. Econonmy - No 'silver bullet' here. We're doing OK economically, we just need the gains to be better-distributed. Affordable education, housing, and healthcare are the pressing issues with the economy; we should stop actively making these problems worse.

3. Education - Reduce the volume of student loans available per-student; dramatically increase the Pell Grant(s) for poor people. Universities need to do more with less and start teaching instead of pretending to be research agencies.

4. Energy - Micro-generation grants funded by a small CO2 tax. Rooftop solar should be the norm.

5. Immigration - More-secured southern border; fewer illegal immigrants. Sign immigration pacts with military/economic allies like UK, Australia, S. Korea, Japan, so most of our immigrants come from countries we trade with, and so our kids have the opportunity to move abroad if they want. Eliminate diversity lottery, eliminate or radically reform "foreign work visas" for farmhands and tech workers alike, to increase wage levels.

6. Foreign Policy - More internationalist. Keep NAFTA. Persist with more Free Trade agreements, but stop pushing things like intellectual property. Do NOT give over our sovereignity to the UN, or World Bank, or any other international organization. U.S. sovereignity is paramount, but we need to be far more considerate of foreign attitudes.

7. Taxes - Reduce dependency on personal income taxes; that is, keep corporate and personal income tax rates low, i.e. 20%ish, but further reduce all types of deductions, benefits, write-offs, et cetera, available to business. Create a federal tax on land. Gasoline tax of 40%. Eliminate FICA taxes. Perhaps a special tax on certain types of monopolies; broadband, real estate income, et cetera. Seek to ensure that there is no tax preference on capital/capital gains/corporate income, and no tax penalty for wage income.

8. Border Security - Start putting business executives in jail for hiring or contracting out to illegal immigrants. Dry up the flow of work available to illegals.

9. Homeland security - Reduce the bureaucracy surrounding air travel and security. Generally reduce spending here.

10. ISIS Threat - Not really our problem, but we should continue contributing in the fight largely as Trump/Obama have been.

11. North Korea Threat - Good question! I have no good answer for this. I would not attack North Korea first, I know that much.

12. Social Security - Peg the retirement age as (Life Expectancy average of both genders - 15 years). Eliminate FICA entirely and fund SS via the general fund.

13. Deficit Reduction - Let's not kid ourselves, no party cares about deficit reduction.

14. The Military - Needs to be cut from about $500 billion to about $300 billion, with cuts falling heavily on the U.S. Army and its projects, as well as bases in Europe. U.S. Navy and Asia-Pacific bases should be kept.

-------------------

VOTE LE ROI 2020

This is one of the better posts I've seen. Good to see free thinker types who can see through the two party bullbleep do exist here. I would also legalize marijuana and decriminalize possession of small quantities of other drugs like Portugal has done. Also, civil asset forfeiture would be outlawed.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:52 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
I'm not a liberal but I'd immediately dissolve all government.

I'd even use official stamps and seals on pricey printer paper to make my proclamations. Not that cheap stuff you get at the dollar store.

It would be glorious.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Makes you wonder if this thread initiated from someone outside the USA
due to the comment about being in charge of the three branches of government.

US Citizens don't get that wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies