Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 04:41 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times

Advertisements

As much as people complain about the president, Congress, and especially the Senate, may be the bigger problem. They continue to use Trump to feather their own beds, figuring the president will take the hits if things go awry and they'll still be in Washington after he is gone.

Remember when people were excited about Corker standing up to Trump after announcing he wasn't running for re-election? Now we know why - he's taking advantage of being a squeaky wheel and cashing in on this tax bill.

This is the same Senate, more or less, that refused to process a properly nominated Supreme Court justice. With that move alone, they have done more to create a Constitutional crisis than anything Trump has tried. If this Congress ever moves to impeach Trump, it won't be for the benefit of the country. It will be because they can profit more without him.

I get that Trump is a crass opportunist, but if you are protesting Trump without going after Congress, you're missing the forest for the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 05:27 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
The House may well be facing a change of the guard in November.

The Senate is a much different situation; Pubs have a very favorable election map. So, it's doubtful that the majority will switch there.

Should prove to be a very entertaining campaign season ahead.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:30 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Trump can choose not to sign things. In the end the buck stops at his desk.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:31 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,194,294 times
That provision was in the house bill 6 weeks ago. It wasn't created for corker

Old 12-18-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
That provision was in the house bill 6 weeks ago. It wasn't created for corker
You really falling for that? The specific provision has several significant changes from what it was like in the bill 6 weeks ago. Changes that made it significantly different.

Thats like saying "So the recipe I gave you that you agreed to was X, and its ALWAYS been there. We just added human poop to it, but other then that its the same recipe why are you complaining!"

Old 12-18-2017, 05:59 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You really falling for that? The specific provision has several significant changes from what it was like in the bill 6 weeks ago. Changes that made it significantly different.

Thats like saying "So the recipe I gave you that you agreed to was X, and its ALWAYS been there. We just added human poop to it, but other then that its the same recipe why are you complaining!"
The provision was in The House bill.
Yes. We have "fallen" for that. Orin Hatch defends Corker, and I defend Orin Hatch.
GOP senators rally to defend Corker over tax bill provision - ABC News

Old 12-18-2017, 06:00 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
As much as people complain about the president, Congress, and especially the Senate, may be the bigger problem. They continue to use Trump to feather their own beds, figuring the president will take the hits if things go awry and they'll still be in Washington after he is gone.

Remember when people were excited about Corker standing up to Trump after announcing he wasn't running for re-election? Now we know why - he's taking advantage of being a squeaky wheel and cashing in on this tax bill.

This is the same Senate, more or less, that refused to process a properly nominated Supreme Court justice. With that move alone, they have done more to create a Constitutional crisis than anything Trump has tried. If this Congress ever moves to impeach Trump, it won't be for the benefit of the country. It will be because they can profit more without him.

I get that Trump is a crass opportunist, but if you are protesting Trump without going after Congress, you're missing the forest for the trees.
Obviously, looking at the Congress approval polls, people do not like or approve of Congress, so I'm not sure why you think they do?

Trump, the POTUS, stood in front of the nation and said this bill would be bad for him--terrible! Said it didn't help him at all. He's a dishonest lying 'crass opportunist' who thinks everyone in the country are fools that will swallow his gigantic lies because his cult following does. He is the problem.

And he's not just a forest--he is a swamp.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:02 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Trump can choose not to sign things. In the end the buck stops at his desk.
Really? Has that guy ever taken responsibility for anything since being elected president?

Old 12-18-2017, 06:31 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post

Very perceptive post.

The House and the Senate is largely occupied by millionaires working to make life good for both themselves and more importantly - the billionaires who comprise the upper 1%.

The democrats have been a little more devious about it than the republicans, but not by much.

It feels to me that our government becomes more rotten from within by the day. Each election cycle ushers in thousands of new swamp things (they never decrease, only increase) and this most recent election was only the most recent influx of big, hungry 'gators.

Our system has managed to plumb new depths of dysfunction such that the inner workings of our government is more akin to a Dick Nixon's wet dream than it is anything else.

I don't let ANY of the branches of government off the hook. The House and Senate have become so arrogant that they no longer even pretend that their actions aren't all about lining the right pockets, not governing the nation. And Trump is a sort of ur-slime creature who makes King Joffrey seem like a delightful and wise prince by comparison.

In sum:

This entire thing sux and I'm worried sick about my country.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 12-18-2017 at 06:46 PM..

Old 12-18-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The provision was in The House bill.
Yes. We have "fallen" for that. Orin Hatch defends Corker, and I defend Orin Hatch.
GOP senators rally to defend Corker over tax bill provision - ABC News
Instead of believing what you are told...you DO know you could investigate a tiny tiny bit, and try and understand the difference right?

You can defend Orin Hatch all you want, but maybe you should make it about the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies