Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There is a victim. The country that is denied aid is the victim. They are being blackmailed into doing something they don't want to do because of their dependence on that aid. Their dependence may be THEIR problem, but nonetheless, they are dependent. And we are threatening them harm if they don't comply with our orders. That's blackmail.

The reasons why we give aid are complex. There is the moral aspect. Helping people who are in dire need of help is not simply charitable, it is also moral and responsible. There is the practical aspect. We give because we stand to benefit in the long run. There is the diplomatic aspect. We have diplomatic goals, and money greases the wheels so that we are better able to achieve those goals.

The change in policy regarding Jerusalem affects other countries. I don't know if Trump just pretends to not know this, or if he simply doesn't care, but when what we do impacts others, those others are entitled to express their feelings regarding our actions. To have a hissy fit when they do so is just petty and short-sighted.

I can't believe I have to explain this.
It's all apart of the far right's isolationist agenda. Whether they understand the ramifications of it or not this is something some people have been wanting for a long time. Like you have mentioned some countries will always need aid, it's the cards they were dealt. We can chose to cut them off but other countries who have everything we have to gain will gladly fill the void and history will begin to repeat it's self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:44 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
Apples and oranges.

Your example is not the same at all.
Who determines what is an apple and what is an orange... ironically you don’t either... so your idea what is blackmail and what isn’t, is just that, an idea... a vote has consequences, just because you lose doesn’t mean it’s blackmail....

Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, typically many countries will abstain. In this case I think the comments made by Trump will make it more difficult for certain countries to abstain.
I don't even think they will abstain, the Pope has even said the US is wrong, the EU has said this is wrong and just about every leader in the western world has condemned the US.

Britain was one of the 14 that voted to condemn the US decision, as Britain had long adhered to the 1967 agreement I have already mentioned in my last post. France also voted against (as did Italy, Sweden and Japan), as did other western countries. Not sure what handouts the US gives to many of these countries or how Trump intends to punish them.

The 14 countries who voted against the US were the four of the five permanent members of the UN Security council - China, France, Russian Federation, the United Kingdom as well as ten non-permanent members elected for two-year terms by the General Assembly - Bolivia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Senegal, Sweden, Ukraine and Uruguay.

Members of the United Nations Security Council

The lists looks like it's going to be every country in the world with the exception of the US and Israel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telegraph

Matthew Rycroft, the British ambassador to the UN, told the Council why Britain was voting against the US.

"We disagree with the US decision unilaterally to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel before a final status agreement, and to move the US embassy to Jerusalem," he said.

"As recent events in the region have shown, these decisions are unhelpful to the prospects for peace in the region, an aim that all of us in this Council remain committed to. The British Embassy to Israel is based in Tel Aviv and we have no plans to move it."

US forced to veto UN resolution condemning Trump's decision on Jerusalem - Telegraph

Old 12-21-2017, 09:49 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,196,360 times
I'm loving this. Haley is a great ambassador and is letting it be known the US is putting its interests first and leading again. This is another campaign promise being kept

Old 12-21-2017, 09:51 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,287,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, they threatened to cut aid from countries who never received any aid..... Well, if that makes sense to you, then so be it.

Largest muslim recipients of US aid are Iraq and Afghanistan, and cutting aid to either one would lead to foreign policy disaster.

I don't think Haleys comments were solely about financial aid. I think she was letting the UN in general know we will pay attention to who craps on us regarding our embassy. As for Trump, as I said, I think his comments were for American ears in getting folks energized .

Its more than just money IMO. Its about letting the world know how we will regard them in the future if they crap on us now. That's goes beyond just handing out money.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Apples and oranges.

Your example is not the same at all.

Sure it is. You just don't like an example of how financial aid can come with conditions and not be blackmail, that's all.

But even if we wish to call it that, so what? Its all semantics. If you crap on me, why should I give you money?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I don't even think they will abstain, the Pope has even said the US is wrong, the EU has said this is wrong and just about every leader in the western world has condemned the US.

Britain was one of the 14 that voted to condemn the US decision, as Britain had long adhered to the 1967 agreement I have already mentioned in my last post. France also voted against (as did Italy, Sweden and Japan), as did other western countries. Not sure what handouts the US gives to many of these countries or how Trump intends to punish them.

The 14 countries who voted against the US were the four of the five permanent members of the UN Security council - China, France, Russian Federation, the United Kingdom as well as ten non-permanent members elected for two-year terms by the General Assembly - Bolivia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Senegal, Sweden, Ukraine and Uruguay.

Members of the United Nations Security Council

The lists looks like it's going to be every country in the world with the exception of the US and Israel.

Great Britain. Yeah, just the country we need to care about concerning dealing with the ME mess they left behind.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Actually under Trump countries don't know if he will do it. I bet he will. They have laid down the gauntlet.
What gauntlet? Lol!!

You Republicans are so giddy that you’re losing touch with reality! You all sound like teenage girls looking through a copy of Teen Beat.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Who determines what is an apple and what is an orange... ironically you don’t either... so your idea what is blackmail and what isn’t, is just that, an idea... a vote has consequences, just because you lose doesn’t mean it’s blackmail....
I get to point out that two situations are completely dissimilar when they are dissimilar. Poor baby.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Great Britain. Yeah, just the country we need to care about concerning dealing with the ME mess they left behind.
Who said that we HAVE to deal with it? We WANT to deal with it (like fools). We can choose to leave the Middle East to their own devices and mind our own business.

But folks like you don’t want that, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies