Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 05:15 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,041,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
And yet, a few days ago, when I mentioned the Bible to a fellow Christian on this forum, I had my head bitten off by Trump supporters. I also see people on this forum dissing Catholics and the Pope all the time. I won't even get into the bigotry and hatred towards fellow human beings expressed here regularly that few seem to object to but can hardly be termed Christian in nature.

Guess the "pro-Christian" thing only applies to certain types of Christians, and only if they also believe 100% of what the President is saying and doing.

Merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year. I sincerely wish EVERYONE the best, regardless of whether we agree about politics or religion!
Exactly. Actual Christian values have almost nothing to do with Trump's actions or beliefs, or those of his party or even the worst of his supporters. Now, to be fair, the Democratic leadership isn't much better than the Republican leadership in this regard, save for the lack of institutionalized bigotry. But the point is that for the "religious" right voters, this was never about religion. It's about hatred and "sticking it" to people they don't like. They just cower behind "the bible" as a justification for their selfish and spiteful acts because if you dig around enough in there, you can find a verse taken out of context to support anything. That's not the fault of the Bible, but the fault of people who use parts of it as a weapon to justify their actions.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 05:19 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,041,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
ISIS have even wished us all in the West a Merry Christmas with a picture of a beheaded Santa Clause - Bless them.

ISIS thugs post bizarre image of beheaded SANTA CLAUS as terror group vows to launch Christmas attacks
ISIS honestly seems like group of trolls who watched one too many movies on stereotypical evil villains and who now think that's how to behave. Yes, yes - they are a serious threat and deadly, but they are so two-dimensionally insane and "evil for the sake of being evil." Beheading Santa Claus? Why? He's not a religious figure, at least not these days, and who the heck cares? What group of two-bit, evil thugs thinks "Ha! Giving toys to kids around the end of the year to make them happy is what normal people do - so we'll do the opposite!"

I swear, if I see a news report one day that Cobra Commander has taken over ISIS, I wouldn't be the least bit shocked.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
And yet, a few days ago, when I mentioned the Bible to a fellow Christian on this forum, I had my head bitten off by Trump supporters. I also see people on this forum dissing Catholics and the Pope all the time. I won't even get into the bigotry and hatred towards fellow human beings expressed here regularly that few seem to object to but can hardly be termed Christian in nature.

Guess the "pro-Christian" thing only applies to certain types of Christians, and only if they also believe 100% of what the President is saying and doing.

Merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year. I sincerely wish EVERYONE the best, regardless of whether we agree about politics or religion!
Yes, unfortunately Christianity is just one of the many tools used by the Trump camp.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:00 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
ISIS have even wished us all in the West a Merry Christmas with a picture of a beheaded Santa Clause - Bless them.

ISIS thugs post bizarre image of beheaded SANTA CLAUS as terror group vows to launch Christmas attacks
I feel the same way a lot of the time.

It is interesting that a "non-profit' organization (Terror Monitor) has no website and no footprint on the web outside Facebook and Twitter. It is also interesting that there are no other examples of this "photograph" extant, and the only place it seems to have been reproduced is in an English tabloid closely related to the Weekly World News and the Enquirer. I would think that a piece of graphic art of this magnitude would be a bit more widely distributed than on social media platforms. It looks to have been created simply to titillate those wretched. timid, tormented souls who prefer to live in fear and need a daily fix to keep their adrenalin levels at peak.

In other words, I call photoshop, and we all know what that is a nice word for.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:05 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,941,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Exactly. Actual Christian values have almost nothing to do with Trump's actions or beliefs, or those of his party or even the worst of his supporters. Now, to be fair, the Democratic leadership isn't much better than the Republican leadership in this regard, save for the lack of institutionalized bigotry. But the point is that for the "religious" right voters, this was never about religion. It's about hatred and "sticking it" to people they don't like. They just cower behind "the bible" as a justification for their selfish and spiteful acts because if you dig around enough in there, you can find a verse taken out of context to support anything. That's not the fault of the Bible, but the fault of people who use parts of it as a weapon to justify their actions.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.
You are far too logical for this forum, and your post has a faint whiff of bipartisan thinking. That will never fly here.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It sure is nice to have leadership in this country that is openly pro-Christian
The historic persecution of Christians in American is finally over? Christians can finally have open churches?

Old 12-21-2017, 10:14 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,229,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I'm saying Happy Holidays just to p&ss people off.
Why don't you keep it to yourself and come out ahead.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:57 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It sure is nice to have leadership in this country that is openly pro-Christian
Two Corinthians walked into a bar...

Old 12-21-2017, 03:11 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,407,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Why don't you keep it to yourself and come out ahead.
I made my comment somewhat in jest though there appears to be a war against "Happy Holidays".

I am not sure which is the more offensive word, "Happy" or "Holidays".

Old 12-21-2017, 04:22 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,577,538 times
Seriously people? Do you not remember "Seasons Greetings " at all? That's from as far back as the '70's from what I remember, and no one had a hissy fit then. It was very popular on cards. Get over yourselves already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies