Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenjamin View Post
Kind of like Obamacare was forced down the people's throats while locking Republicans out of the debate? You recall correctly right? The bill where Nancy Pelosi (D) said "We had to pass the bill to see what was in it?"

And what is wrong with a tax break for the people who earn it? Having kids is a good thing. It is done to keep the species alive. We are an aging society and we need more children. And bringing in droves of people who can't speak the language via illegal immigration isn't the way to do it.

As for without one Democrat's feedback. LOL. They had all kinds of feedback from the party of NO (the democrats). They chose not to participate and did nothing but whine and stomp and act like little children.

And as for being a lifelong Republican, I seriously doubt the validity of that statement.

Every single one of your statements is nothing but falsehoods.
That's a lie. There were plenty of debates about Obamacare and even amendments included to try and keep Republicans happy. And it was done over a one year time period - not a two week time period like this rushed tax bill passed before people can really see what it's all about.

That said, I'm not opposed to a tax break for parents. Children are expensive. Educating our children is expensive and the entire population benefits from it.

The Democrats were not invited to participate. I will note that Sherrod Brown met directly with Trump to introduce some democratic standards into the bill - such as tying the massive corporate tax cut with proven investment in hiring and raising wages. Trump was interested. Paul Ryan - not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:18 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Corporations already had huge tax breaks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikshe.../#6fa21fcd58aa

I wouldn't expect a bunch of job creation.

Sanders also talked about raising taxes, which is the fiscally prudent thing to do...

It's older, Republican voters who are the primary beneficiary of discretionary government spending through Social Security and Medicare. These aren't issues that affect younger, Democratic-leaning voters...for now anyways.

I also don't see why you can't decrease spending and raise taxes.
News flash....There are lots of older Democratic voters who are on Social Security. To make a statement that mostly older Republicans benefit from SS is blatantly false.
Democrats get old too.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:20 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The actual tax rate changes are not drastic and are not permanent. They roll back at 2025.
The tax cut adds $1.0 to $1.8 trillion to federal deficit in 10 years. That is drastic. Some of the cuts are permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
They have predicted the economic growth will increase by 0.44% (over the current estimated growth rate) in 2018 and we should start seeing results in the books by 2019, so we’ll have something on paper to hold them to if the tax bill falls flat. That will effect my vote for 2020.
Who has predicted that? We're unlikely to see any GDP growth in part because of deficit drag. Growing deficits means the government has to borrow more, which is usually accompanied by a rise in interest rates. This has the double whammy effect of slowing growth and making it more expensive for the government to service currently existing debt.

There is no free lunch, man. You can't blow up the deficit and get all of these wonderful benefits. If anything, we should be raising taxes on everyone, particularly if older voters are keen on having their entitlements, but nobody wants to hear that. The good thing for older voters is that they will have checked out by the time the bill comes.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:24 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
News flash....There are lots of older Democratic voters who are on Social Security. To make a statement that mostly older Republicans benefit from SS is blatantly false.
Democrats get old too.
Did you not see the word "primary"? Older voters skew Republican. So it's mostly Republican voters who are drawing SS and Medicare checks. The point being that for all of the complaining Republicans do about "spending," it's mostly Republicans who are responsible for the spending. It is not in a 29 year old Millennial's self-interest to devote 55% of the discretionary budget to SS and Medicare.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
Quote:
Did you not see the word "primary"? Older voters skew Republican. So it's mostly Republican voters who are drawing SS and Medicare checks. The point being that for all of the complaining Republicans do about "spending," it's mostly Republicans who are responsible for the spending. It is not in a 29 year old Millennial's self-interest to devote 55% of the discretionary budget to SS and Medicare.
I take the word "primary" to mean most. People do not automatically change political parties when they turn 65.
Depending on what poll you look at, Dems outnumber Reps by 9% in this country. I very much doubt, several million Democrats change their party affiliation when they become SS age.
You're assumption that the primary drawers of SS are republicans is hogwash.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:32 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,120,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They already did back in 2010. It was called Obamacare.
Again, this has been a lie. There was a whole year for debate and revisions. Republicans added over a hundred revisions to the ACA. Huge difference.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:33 AM

89,067 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
There is no free lunch, man.
Let's apply that to public assistance. Will we help you? Sure, but you have to trade work/labor for your and your dependents' benefits.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:34 AM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I agree it’s pathetic how these Republicans did this all without one Democrats feedback. I wonder how they are going to feel if the Democrats pull the same crap.
I can only hope that you're in your early 20's and weren't following politics prior to 2010.

Go google phrases like "healthcare mandate" and "go it alone" it will help you fill in that gaping hole in your knowledge of historical events.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:40 AM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Again, this has been a lie. There was a whole year for debate and revisions. Republicans added over a hundred revisions to the ACA. Huge difference.
More like a "Yuge difference" given that Trump sized exaggeration.

Gutierrez says 'hundreds of Republican amendments' were a part of Obamacare | PolitiFact

Old 12-21-2017, 09:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have been a loyal and passionate Republican for decades. Yet I HATE this tax bill that just passed....all for completely different reasons that the Democrats have for not liking it.

By far my #1 reason I am against it is it doubled the child tax credit to $2000. This makes me so furious I will probably never vote Republican again for the rest of my life. It is extremely unfair to the childless or those with adult children. Let's say you have two relatively low paid workers..a childless person and a woman with 3 illegitimate kids. The mother will get $6000 which is between 3 months and a half a years worth of pay for a low paid worker. This is outrageous. If someone has kids great but they should pay everything...not the taxpayer.

Another reason I HATE this tax plan is it will add to to our already obscene national debt. It seems Republicans have completely given up on cutting spending. They don't want to come across as mean. Well running up our debt is mean because it is not sustainable and will eventually cause the collapse of our country. The #1 reason I have voted Republican all my life is I want draconian cuts in the social safety net for young able bodied people. But Republicans absolutely refuse to do this. If they are going to cut any program it will be Social security and Medicare.. which older people who are descriminated against in the workforce are dependent on for survival. Ironically Reps want to give welfare through the tax code to young people having lots of children but cut social services to old people which is by far their biggest voting block. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Another reason I am against the tax bill is that the corporate tax cuts will not lead to more hiring. I would have been enthusiastic if the bill rewarded companies with big tax breaks if (and only if) they create X amount of new American jobs. But there is nothing like this so instead most of the extra money will go to shareholders. Which leads me to another problem I have. One of the top reasons I voted for Trump is I wanted the stock market (and housing) bubbles to pop. This would cause some well needed price deflation and ease costs for the Trump voting base. Instead to my horror...the stock market is going through the roof which is mainly benefiting Hillary Clinton voting elitists.

So for these and other reasons I can no longer vote Republican. But as you can tell reading my opinions there is no home for me in the Democrat party either. So now my choices are to throw away my vote on some fringe third party or not vote at all.

Even if I disagree with Democrats on just about everything I appreciate their voices against the tax plan...so much so that I am cheering for them to take over the House and Senate. If they run a populist Bernie Sanders type in 2020 I might even consider voting Democrat for the first time. If they run anyone corporate/mainstream/third way or neolib I won't vote for them, especially if I hear the word "Russia" one time from them. This is unlikely so fringe party or not voting looks to be my future.
The national debt problem is a real one and one most of us are not happy with. The rest, well unfortunately nothing is always perfect and compromises have to be made. I agree with the bit about who gets what deduction or tax credit but we have always had a situation where, it seems people get paid for having kids. it sucks, but I am going to wait and see how things work out before I judge the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies