Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When you make reality optional then set societies rules based on that altered state it's a problem. If you can't see it you aren't thinking clearly or paying attention to anything. Unfortunately too many people have your attitude. I call it lazy.
No, lazy is to go along with the crowd and never think for yourself, never take a risk, never see if there is a better way...hiding away where its nice and safe.

These kids are the last thing from lazy since stating they are gender non-conforming means they are taking a risk and swimming against the current all for the privilege of just being themselves. That sure ain't lazy!

Old 01-02-2018, 08:59 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It means nothing.

Well it actually means they are all idiots and the adults in their lives and the media are too...it's a real problem.
So adolescents take a survey on gender stereotypes/conformity and they're all idiots because they didn't answer the way you think is acceptable?

Like a girl that doesn't like dresses/sparkly heels/dolls is now an idiot? A boy that doesn't like playing football and likes musicals instead is an idiot, to you?

The only difference is that now there is name for not quite feeling exactly how society has told us we must be. Nowadays, there is just more of a spotlight on it. I'm not sure why you'd blame anyone for not feeling that they needed to conform to the culture/parental expectations/societal pressure of being purely "all boy" or a "girly girl".

I've got four kids...I'll tell you only one of my girls is a tomboy but hates sports --and one of my boys loves musicals and cries when he gets emotional. One of my other daughter's friends comes by in wavy long blue hair and a wears clothes that look like a female could typically wear. This is all the article is about. None are actually "androgynous" but there's a spectrum with all traits.

I think it's not harmful (outside of the bullying/stress) to just be what makes them feel like who they are inside. It's only a problem if people such as yourself make it one. It's only a problem if children that don't fit the mold are bullied by peers, teachers/adults. That's far more destructive than trying to fit into traditional societal norms as they've historically done. Just because it's something that we don'e fully understand or think is "normal", doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

Last edited by clongirl; 01-02-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 PM

34 posts, read 25,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hey I'm all for being true to onesself and standing in ones truth and all that, but when we try to apply objections to societal and cultural norms to biology, it's too much imo.

https://ww2.kqed.org/futureofyou/201...oes-that-mean/
When I was a youngin there were only men and women. Life was simpler.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Progressive agit-prop. You can ignore this kind of "data". It doesn't represent reality.

Obviously 1/4 of the population isn't confused about which gender they are. There has never been a population in history that is 1/4 mentally ill.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:37 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,612 times
Adolescent attitudes can be fleeting and not necessarily carry over into adulthood. It’s a conflicted time where you want to fit in but also be an individual. I wouldn’t take too much from any study of adolescents these days. If that generation as adults still have a fluid idea of gender then maybe there will be some associated differences in society but who knows what will happen.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:13 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
There's a lot more "machismo" here in Southern California because of the Latino, working-class culture being so dominant here. Even in the gay community in L.A. and Southern California, masculinity is highly prized and a trait that is very much sought after. In Southern California, the "alpha male" is highly venerated. In Northern California, not so much.

Northern California is very, very different in this regard. It's much more oriented toward "gender neutrality" with the feminist, Jewish and Asian cultures being much more dominant.

Trans people will likely feel greater acceptance in the Bay Area than they would in So Cal.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
There's a lot more "machismo" here in Southern California because of the Latino, working-class culture being so dominant here. Even in the gay community in L.A. and Southern California, masculinity is highly prized and a trait that is very much sought after. In Southern California, the "alpha male" is highly venerated. In Northern California, not so much.

Northern California is very, very different in this regard. It's much more oriented toward "gender neutrality" with the feminist, Jewish and Asian cultures being much more dominant.

Trans people will likely feel greater acceptance in the Bay Area than they would in So Cal.
If the feminist culture is less dominant in SoCal than NorCal, it's only in the same way that Islam is less dominant in Iran than in Saudi Arabia.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If the feminist culture is less dominant in SoCal than NorCal, it's only in the same way that Islam is less dominant in Iran than in Saudi Arabia.
No, Nor Cal and So Cal are miles and miles apart when it comes to feminism.

Would Hugh Hefner ever have thought about building the Playboy Mansion in San Francisco?

L.A. has a sexiness about it that inspires machismo, and also feeds off of it. It's the warm climate, the grittiness, the suburbia, the working class culture, the history of aerospace and innovation, Hollywood, the regions role in manufacturing and, lately, the dominance of Latino culture.

This isn't true of Northern California or San Francisco, in general, which has always prized itself on being the antithesis of L.A.

And, yes, there is a difference between the Persian culture and Arab culture, if you actually bother to really look...

Old 01-07-2018, 10:36 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
And, yes, there is a difference between the Persian culture and Arab culture, if you actually bother to really look...
You'll have to pardon majoun, who doesn't know anything about Iran or Saudi Arabia or Islam.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
You'll have to pardon majoun, who doesn't know anything about Iran or Saudi Arabia or Islam.
apparently...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies