Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 06:52 PM

3,542 posts, read 3,742,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Where it gets dangerous as public policy with the commerce clause is the inability for growers and retailers to avail themselves of the banking system.

Right now it's all cash transactions. B2B, retailers, customers and even tax agencies. Needlessly and incredibly dangerous to force all parties to be holding large quantities of cash to conduct business, let alone circumvent a paper trail. Sadly I think it's going to take people getting killed (think tax office with millions of bucks of cold, hard cash sitting in the vault on quarterly business tax collection days) before the powers that be decide to grow up and keep all the stakeholders, most of which are just hard working Americans, safe.
The workaround the banking system right now is to use crypto currencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 07:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,785,338 times
Bipartisan Washington state officials want to meet with Sessions. I like this quote from the article - "While Republican and Democratic legislators feud constantly on education and taxes, they work smoothly together on pot issues."
As the DOJ Shifts on Marijuana, Washington Leaders Consider a Counter-Measure | Seattle Weekly

And that's why the drug warriors will eventually lose.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
The workaround the banking system right now is to use crypto currencies.
Yes, that's one option. But there are some financial institutions that are taking the risk.
Why It

Old 01-06-2018, 08:19 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,430,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Totally agree, you can't. But drug laws are not mentioned in the Constitution. So it's up to the feds and the states to work this out, which is what we've been seeing over the past few decades. It's a developing process.

States are not always required to enforce federal laws. Obviously. Or there wouldn't be such a thing as state or local criminal codes. And it would never happen that criminals are often prosecuted under both the state and federal laws for a particular crime.

The states that have legalized marijuana have simply said that if a marijuana user/seller obeys a particular set of laws, the state will not prosecute them. If they don't obey those laws, the state will prosecute them. (At least in my state, state and local authorities actively seek out non-compliant users/sellers). And I think most state-compliant users/sellers are well aware that they are still liable for prosecution under federal law.

But I don't think that marijuana states are the ones backing themselves into an untenable position.

Currently the feds have asserted control over marijuana. If the states believe they have a right, they need to challenge the federal government and win in court.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Currently the feds have asserted control over marijuana. If the states believe they have a right, they need to challenge the federal government and win in court.
Maybe that's what will eventually happen, I dunno.

Or maybe Congress will be forced to act, which is what I hope will happen. They've been nibbling around the edges of this issue for a while, maybe Sessions acting dumb will force it.

That is, if Trump doesn't fire Sessions over the Mueller investigation. Which could also happen.

Or maybe someone will go for broke and pursue the interstate commerce question all the way to SCOTUS.

Lots of factors in play here, which makes it such an interesting legal issue.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:37 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,335,925 times
Quote:
Maybe that's what will eventually happen, I dunno.

Or maybe Congress will be forced to act, which is what I hope will happen. They've been nibbling around the edges of this issue for a while, maybe Sessions acting dumb will force it.

That is, if Trump doesn't fire Sessions over the Mueller investigation. Which could also happen.

Or maybe someone will go for broke and pursue the interstate commerce question all the way to SCOTUS.

Lots of factors in play here, which makes it such an interesting legal issue.
Yes, congress will be forced to act. Remember, we are closing in on 70% of the population favoring legalization. Our lawmakers will be forced to change their stance on pot, or risk getting voted out. Eventually, that force will overcome the lobbyist's money. Then we'll get it legalized.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:42 PM

30,205 posts, read 11,859,725 times
Quote:
Bipartisan Washington state officials want to meet with Sessions. I like this quote from the article - "While Republican and Democratic legislators feud constantly on education and taxes, they work smoothly together on pot issues."
As the DOJ Shifts on Marijuana, Washington Leaders Consider a Counter-Measure | Seattle Weekly

And that's why the drug warriors will eventually lose.
I am not a liberal democrat but a Libertarian. My sense is this is the next big fight for the left. Federally legalizing marijuana. And my sense is the left will win on this like they have with civil rights and gay rights.

I don't get how those on the right are fighting this. There has been almost no issues in states that have made it legal medically or on a recreational basis. So there is no legitimate argument to not legalizing it. Yet there will be many on the right against it just because many on the left are for it.

Hopefully a bi-partisan effort will make marijuana no longer illegal. I don't smoke it and never will but its the right thing to do.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I am not a liberal democrat but a Libertarian. My sense is this is the next big fight for the left. Federally legalizing marijuana. And my sense is the left will win on this like they have with civil rights and gay rights.

I don't get how those on the right are fighting this. There has been almost no issues in states that have made it legal medically or on a recreational basis. So there is no legitimate argument to not legalizing it. Yet there will be many on the right against it just because many on the left are for it.

Hopefully a bi-partisan effort will make marijuana no longer illegal. I don't smoke it and never will but its the right thing to do.
Me either. It strikes me as a strategic error on the part of conservatives, given that a (slim) majority of R voters now supports some form of legalization. I get that legalization is not a voting priority for most people, but sooner or later, public opinion must intrude.

This is aside from the question of whether legalization is the right thing to do, which of course it is.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:13 PM

30,205 posts, read 11,859,725 times
Quote:
Me either. It strikes me as a strategic error on the part of conservatives, given that a (slim) majority of R voters now supports some form of legalization. I get that legalization is not a voting priority for most people, but sooner or later, public opinion must intrude.

This is aside from the question of whether legalization is the right thing to do, which of course it is.
The GOP is better on economic issues like the tax plan. The dem's are better on social issues. Hence we have close to a 50-50 split overall.

End result is nothing really changes.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:36 PM

1,166 posts, read 878,785 times
I think more and more states will give the feds the finger and keep legalizing marijuana. Once every state has told them "Screw off, we're not helping you enforce your BS law!" they will realize their true powerlessness. Your "authority" as the federal govt. means nothing if nobody stands behind you, and the feds NEED the states to enforce the marijuana laws in order for them to be effective. They simply don't have the manpower to exert their will across the entire country. It is a losing battle from them at this point, they are just kicking and dragging their feet about it, screaming "Respect muh authority!"

The states need to show the "people in power" how powerless they truly are! That's how we keep the federal govt in check and prevent them from becoming too powerful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies