Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:22 AM

218 posts, read 172,319 times

Advertisements

For those that don't know, SWATTING is when someone that doesn't like someone else for whatever reasons -usually a Twitch streamer or youtuber, hacks and gets their information such as name, number and address, then calls the aforementioned persons local police dept. saying something like "I have my family hostage and I'm going to kill them all" or "I have a bomb and going to blow my family up" etc. etc. usually they do this by using a cheap burner phone that they can use just for this purpose and throw away right after.

This results in, as the name implies SWAT being called in. Normally just scaring the living daylights out of the person as well as others inside the home at best, and involving them all getting handcuffed and their home being destroyed at worst. Here are some good examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZCvjYfDnc&t=438s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gedVHbgIt7c&t=322s

Many times even when caught it turns out the person that did it was a young teen. My question is, do you think something like that deserves decades in jail? Whether they be 14, 24, 34, or 44, if someone SWATs someone do you think they deserve a VERY long prison sentence? I think so. These people need to be made examples of regardless of age. This is sick and disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 04:49 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
The violated someones rights and endangered a persons life. i have no problem with someone getting 10 years for this.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:53 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
I have a hard time advocating prison for a young teenager, but yes, generally I think it deserves a harsh sentence. They could get someone killed messing around like this.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
A man from the UK was recently charged by police in relation to a US Swatting incident. Swatting isn't so much of an issue in the UK, as the police tend to act differently to US Police.

British gamer 'called police to innocent man's home where he was shot in face in 'swatting' hoax craze' - Mirror Online

Man from Britain charged with 'swatting' man who was shot by police | Metro News

British man charged after US gamer is shot by Swat police following hoax terrorism call | The Independent

Old 04-18-2017, 04:58 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
For those that don't know, SWATTING is when someone that doesn't like someone else for whatever reasons -usually a Twitch streamer or youtuber, hacks and gets their information such as name, number and address, then calls the aforementioned persons local police dept. saying something like "I have my family hostage and I'm going to kill them all" or "I have a bomb and going to blow my family up" etc. etc. usually they do this by using a cheap burner phone that they can use just for this purpose and throw away right after.

This results in, as the name implies SWAT being called in. Normally just scaring the living daylights out of the person as well as others inside the home at best, and involving them all getting handcuffed and their home being destroyed at worst. Here are some good examples:

Many times even when caught it turns out the person that did it was a young teen. My question is, do you think something like that deserves decades in jail? Whether they be 14, 24, 34, or 44, if someone SWATs someone do you think they deserve a VERY long prison sentence? I think so. These people need to be made examples of regardless of age. This is sick and disgusting.
Send the bill to the person making the call in addition to some jail time.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:21 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post

30 to 40 sounds about right.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:33 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,944 times
20 years minimum in a federal prison, preferably life, with zero chance for parole until their sentence is completed, regardless of age, because people can and have been killed in cases where they were swatted. It is the equivalent of attempted first degree murder or premeditated first degree murder.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Absolutely. People can and often do very easily die from situations like this. Equivalent to armed home invasion and kidnapping at the very least and potentially murder(s) at worst.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
There are any number of things that can go bad during a SWAT raid that lead to the deaths. Can you imagine if an innocent person is killed by a SWAT team as the result of an internet troll playing a very over-the-top prank on somebody?!

10 years minimum. Absolutely, even if nobody is hurt.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:58 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have a hard time advocating prison for a young teenager, but yes, generally I think it deserves a harsh sentence. They could get someone killed messing around like this.
If they are 13 or 14, they should at least have to stay in prison until they are 18. If they are older, like late teens or college age, then 20 years is justifiable. This is serious and is not something that should be tolerated. It endangers the victim and wastes the SWAT teams' valuable time that could be spent going after real crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies