Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 10:44 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Doubtful. I mean they are looking to significantly muddy the waters with tons of additional taxes, transaction fees, and regulations. It might be more stable and predictable, but it would be full of negativity for the markets. At least that would be the perception, and the initial reaction I'm sure.

I don't think we will have a chance to find out, at least I hope neither of them are the Dem candidate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-14-2019, 10:45 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Not really, I have investments too - and the sooner we get rid of the moron in the White House, the better off we'll all be.

Ken

With a reversal of the corporate tax cuts and scrapping of the tariffs with China that will no doubt come if a Democrat is elected, the USA will take several steps backwards. Taxes will go back up, more companies, their tax revenues, and their jobs will move back overseas. All those workers will then fall into the safety net programs...but that's what the Dems want...on your knees minions.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think we will have a chance to find out, at least I hope neither of them are the Dem candidate.
I don't know. Too early to tell, but Biden seems like hes going to take his usual path so that leaves someone like Harris or Booker? Who knows...I just don't see much positive coming from anything in the 2020 election on either side.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:50 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure. Do you really think the markets would have a positive reaction to a Warren or Sanders administration?
Warren or one of the other lefties as prez. Pubs still holding the Senate. Gridlock. I think the markets could live with that. Better than this Trump induced chaos.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:58 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
With a reversal of the corporate tax cuts and scrapping of the tariffs with China that will no doubt come if a Democrat is elected, the USA will take several steps backwards. Taxes will go back up, more companies, their tax revenues, and their jobs will move back overseas. All those workers will then fall into the safety net programs...but that's what the Dems want...on your knees minions.
LOL

Meanwhile, back in the REAL WORLD the DOW is now down 700+ points!!!
MAGA!

All the tax cuts did was cause a massive increase in the deficit.
And the trade imbalance with China has gotten WORSE with the trade war - WE'RE LOSING!!!!!!

Ken

Old 08-14-2019, 11:03 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
I don't know. Too early to tell, but Biden seems like hes going to take his usual path so that leaves someone like Harris or Booker? Who knows...I just don't see much positive coming from anything in the 2020 election on either side.
Ain't that the sad truth.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:42 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Even Berkshire Hathaway got hammered during the Great Recession:

"Billionaire investor Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway slumped 32% last year, the worst performance in more than three decades, as the U.S. recession forced down the value of the firm's equity holdings and derivative bets."--Bloomberg Jan. 2009.

Even Buffet is not completely immune from economic disaster.
Even the best hitters strike out occasionally. Perfection is unachievable. One thing is certain, if you don't swing you'll never get a hit.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Even the best hitters strike out occasionally. Perfection is unachievable. One thing is certain, if you don't swing you'll never get a hit.
Big events like the Great Recession take down (almost) everything. There were few winners. It was a MASSIVE economic collapse the likes of which only comes along (hopefully) once or twice a CENTURY.

Ken

Old 08-14-2019, 12:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The problem is tax cuts aren't producing jobs or wage increases, they are causing hording. Tariffs are also not helping jobs and in fact causing price increases hurting middle America whom haven't seen a meaningful wage increase in years. Do not dip into Kook-Aid that you don't know the flavor of.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Big events like the Great Recession take down (almost) everything. There were few winners. It was a MASSIVE economic collapse the likes of which only comes along (hopefully) once or twice a CENTURY.

Ken
The problem for many people is that they almost never recover....the repercussions can bounce for generations.

Crazy example....if you watched "The Great Hack"....the woman who did a lot of the damage (Got Trump Elected) is a super-liberal, but her Dad got cancer and then they lost their house (after Great Recession) and Mom couldn't even pay the monthly bills. So she started working for pay (she had been an Obama volunteer) for Cambridge Analytica.

Take that time a million....even many well-off people I know are now still working when, before the Great Recession, they were most of the way to full retirement.

Look at the present situation. Even if you made it through the Great Recession and spent 30+ years building up your wealth, you can't get even 1/2 decent interest rates which would allow you an income in your Golden Years.

My dad is/was extremely smart when it comes to money. His friends and contacts always thought he was worth the Big Bucks...but he is not. One piece of advise which he followed his entire life was NEVER to invest in the stock market. Yet he is way ahead of 98% of his peers.

Sounds crazy...but investors these days are going up against Super-Computers and math geniuses and Trump Toilet Tweets and everything else.

Dad invested in himself (his small manufacturing biz) and in Real Estate. But even he would be hurting if he didn't already make it - because he gave mortgages to people (what we call the alternative mortgage market or private mortgage market). That can't be done any longer since the Government gives away mortgages at rates vastly lower than an investor would accept.

There are always some good things about hard times (people learn things), but that's certainly not a reason or an excuse for Trump or GWB to ruin the economy. Whether I drive a VW or a Lexus is meaningless to me....but to most people these events are more like "can I even pay the basic bills?". \

Sad, really.
The economy was in great shape when Trump was elected and if he did absolutely nothing it would be much better off....and we'd probably be near a balanced budget (assuming those Tea Party types cared).

I'm glad that I am diversified and that I sold a bunch in the last couple of months. Still, I'd much rather be investing in America and having things go normally....

I may just sell out of most equities....at least in my non-taxable IRA. With a crazy man at the helm it's just not worth the risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies