Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 06:06 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
That was the train to nowhere, going over the bridge to nowhere, operated by the nowhere man.
No, it was a train filled with many people and tons of valuable freight. Then this happened.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:24 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You considered that going for the juggler?

Very low bar.
An insult is an insult.

For all I know that guy thinks AOC is a smart person and thinks her ideas are realistic, but I don't say it.

That is sort of how your party is looking...these radicals are doing you NO FAVORS.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:34 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,194,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Trump is advocating that manufacturing move to other countries with more forced tech transfers and worse IP protection than China. Vietnam is run by the communist party and Trump celebrates when business move there from China.

You seriously believe this is about protecting the American worker? Come on, you should know better. China is the biggest auto market in the world, and if you think the Midwest wont feel the pain if US auto makers are shut off from the biggest market in the world, you're deluded.
It’s working out well for Hasbro. Again, China has everything to lose if our companies move out, we have enormous leverage and Trump/Lighthizer/Navarro/Ross know this. We don’t have to surrender defeat to China anymore. I feel like the past 10 years our attitude has been to accept that China will overtake us, now that’s changing and they are finally being challenged.

From today’s article:
Hasbro shifting its business out of China has been positive for the company, according to its CEO. “It’s gone very well for us,” Brian Goldner told CNBC on Tuesday.

“We’re seeing great opportunities in Vietnam, India and other territories like Mexico. We’re doing even more in the U.S. We brought Play-Doh back to the U.S. last year,” Goldner said

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/27/hasb...ll-for-us.html

Old 08-27-2019, 06:37 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
It’s working out well for Hasbro. Again, China has everything to lose if our companies move out, we have enormous leverage and Trump/Lighthizer/Navarro/Ross know this. We don’t have to surrender defeat to China anymore. I feel like the past 10 years our attitude has been to accept that China will overtake us, now that’s changing and they are finally being challenged.

From today’s article:
Hasbro shifting its business out of China has been positive for the company, according to its CEO. “It’s gone very well for us,” Brian Goldner told CNBC on Tuesday.

“We’re seeing great opportunities in Vietnam, India and other territories like Mexico. We’re doing even more in the U.S. We brought Play-Doh back to the U.S. last year,” Goldner said

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/27/hasb...ll-for-us.html

No CEO is going to say anything different, even if they think what is happening is a bad idea and they are totally against it. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I'm not saying it's not either.

Just to quote another part of your article:

When addressing the impact of duties on consumers, he said Hasbro will bear the costs. “We’re having conversations with our retailers and of course we will pass along those costs.”

The company hopes to “effectively pass on those costs” by mitigating the margin internally. But “ultimately, [they] will be borne by the consumer over time.”
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
No CEO is going to say anything different, even if they think what is happening is a bad idea and they are totally against it. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I'm not saying it's not either.
The fact that China backed out of the deal at the last minute means we are asking for the right things to bring actual change. It would be nice if the left helped in the fight, let China know they won’t get a better deal with them in charge. Schumer is the highest ranking dem to stand strong

Old 08-27-2019, 07:18 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Once the naysayers see China as an adversary, in much the same way the dems have claimed for years, and then openly proclaim such (as they have in the past) .... China will fold like hand fan.

No one denies China is a bad player and won't change their ways. Something different needs doing... so here we are. Has anyone ever done business with China? If so you will discover you never take their word on anything, always make them prove it, always... in fact, it's expected. Hand shakes mean nothing. Chinese people however are honorable and hardworking.

** Full disclosure ... my only experience was on a failed (large utility transformer) piece of electrical equipment.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
The fact that China backed out of the deal at the last minute means we are asking for the right things to bring actual change. It would be nice if the left helped in the fight, let China know they won’t get a better deal with them in charge. Schumer is the highest ranking dem to stand strong
You were told China backed out of the deal at the last minute, China said "we don't know what President Trump wants he keeps changing the agreement".

Isn't it weird that we are in a position where China's word is more believable? Based upon what we have seen of Trump it is. Heck, seen Dave_n_Tenn and his "we are happy we got our disruptor in chief!" (paraphrasing)

Look at Trump's statements from the G7 about liking to make chaos and his out right lies.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
You were told China backed out of the deal at the last minute, China said "we don't know what President Trump wants he keeps changing the agreement".

Isn't it weird that we are in a position where China's word is more believable? Based upon what we have seen of Trump it is. Heck, seen Dave_n_Tenn and his "we are happy we got our disruptor in chief!" (paraphrasing)

Look at Trump's statements from the G7 about liking to make chaos and his out right lies.
I’ll listen to the US, you can believe China.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I’ll listen to the US, you can believe China.
Let me be clear, it is Trump I don't believe. Trump is not the US.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Let me be clear, it is Trump I don't believe. Trump is not the US.
He doesn't even remember himself what he said a few minutes back...and, since he also doesn't know a lie from the truth that adds to the mess.

There is really no precedent to any of this. Nixon may have been mad for a couple days or weeks near the end, but we've never seen this much madness on a constant basis with no possible end in sight.

It is going to end badly...one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies