Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 10:58 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I am actually placing a few bets and buying back some stuff I sold (at lower prices).....and some indexes.

I figure it this way. Trump is finished. That is, he never did much legislation anyway. Even decent Presidents do all their work in the first two years. So he is a lame duck.

That will eventually, maybe after a recession, allow the economy to come back on its own.

On the good side of my bet is that he is not re-elected. But even if he is he will be weak except for his Big Mouth. Sooner or later (maybe even now) he will be ignored. Whether in 1 year or in 5 years I expect the market to seek normal returns....which would mean WAY up from here. Like 50K Dow.
Ahh, the good old market timing exercise. Sell low, buy high. I already pointed out here how you probably missed out on 9% to 12% returns by ignoring the most basic of investing advice that financial advisors always point out as a major reason why people significantly under-perform the markets. I can only hope others here aren't following your example.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:12 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Ahh, the good old market timing exercise. Sell low, buy high. I already pointed out here how you probably missed out on 9% to 12% returns by ignoring the most basic of investing advice that financial advisors always point out as a major reason why people significantly under-perform the markets. I can only hope others here aren't following your example.
I'm pretty sure the poster was buying them back at lower prices.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I'm pretty sure the poster was buying them back at lower prices.
Everyone on the internet is a stock market genius. I never meet them in real life. My investments have returned a bit more than average primarily due to one mutual fund that makes up 30% of my portfolio.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I didn't miss out on anything....I am about at 10.5% for 35 years of investing.

But I don't fool myself to think that others are the exact age, income and situation as I am. There is a good reason that this chart looks this way....and it's partially due to the Great Recession - let alone the lack of good performance in the stock market.

Of course, it goes without saying that if your statement had ANY truth to it, all those pension funds and other long term vehicles wouldn't be in big trouble because they figured on 8-9%. BUT THEY ARE...because they haven't made the normal returns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ood-one-chart/

Current young people have no money because of the Great Recession and Trickle Down (inequality) and lack of addressing health care, etc.

Now, on top of that, those who did have investments are making 5-7% instead of 10% plus. That adds up big time with compounding.

Well, they can always invest in CD's at 2% if they are lucky - due to Trump giving money away due to the terrible economy.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:41 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Everyone on the internet is a stock market genius. I never meet them in real life. My investments have returned a bit more than average primarily due to one mutual fund that makes up 30% of my portfolio.
In the end the indexes rule. I just had to pick trustees for my kids and grandkids and I picked vanguard. I'm not even going to let my wife invest (decisions) if I pass first. Vanguard it is.

But that's the point of the time frame since this thread started.....a 5% compounded return in the last two years represents 1/2 of what is normal. Over time it's even worse due to compounding.

Business is being held back by all the BS....so even with tax cuts (debt), interest rate lowering and QE #whatever.......we are barely holding steady.

Folks who notice how high the market goes after it crashes or falls for a long time are fooling themselves. That's where the low return for 20 years comes in. My kids entered the workforce in the late 1990's - so the 20 year window applies to them.

All the big picture data show the inequality gap growing. In the end that's the proof positive. Working people are not making it. If they can't come up with 1K for an emergency they sure aren't considering their massive returns in the stock market!

Old 12-03-2019, 05:51 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Right - so explain why 46% of Floridians (most all employed) are not making it while the figure in many European countries is less than 1/2 that????

Are Americans just twice as lazy as other people?

Are West Virginians the laziest people in the USA since they take the most welfare?

I don't buy it. Where you are born and what family you are born into...and your skin color and even your height and your voice (deep voices make more money) all matter.
They wanted to work for a contractor but you chose to profit off illegal labor.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:53 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
In the end the indexes rule. I just had to pick trustees for my kids and grandkids and I picked vanguard. I'm not even going to let my wife invest (decisions) if I pass first. Vanguard it is.

But that's the point of the time frame since this thread started.....a 5% compounded return in the last two years represents 1/2 of what is normal. Over time it's even worse due to compounding.

Business is being held back by all the BS....so even with tax cuts (debt), interest rate lowering and QE #whatever.......we are barely holding steady.

Folks who notice how high the market goes after it crashes or falls for a long time are fooling themselves. That's where the low return for 20 years comes in. My kids entered the workforce in the late 1990's - so the 20 year window applies to them.

All the big picture data show the inequality gap growing. In the end that's the proof positive. Working people are not making it. If they can't come up with 1K for an emergency they sure aren't considering their massive returns in the stock market!
Lol so now you care about working people?

That's funny because you represent yourself as the typical sociopathic baby boomer who only cares about your portfolio and is actually excited to watch America get gutted by China and others...as long as you see maximum returns.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:09 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Lol so now you care about working people?

That's funny because you represent yourself as the typical sociopathic baby boomer who only cares about your portfolio and is actually excited to watch America get gutted by China and others...as long as you see maximum returns.
Interesting...

I'd say anyone who has a portfolio tends to care about it and hopefully that's not all they care about, be they Baby Boomer or otherwise. Those who don't have a portfolio certainly don't care about them and unfortunately most Americans hardly have a portfolio worth more than two nickels rubbed together. That America is being "gutted by China" is a bit off the rails too, but ultimately who doesn't know "the business of America is business." Been that way for a long time and the same reality persists today, for better or worse. Also as usual, seems it is for a good deal of both...

Old 12-06-2019, 06:38 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
U.S. Added 266,000 Jobs in November; Unemployment at 3.5%

Will Trump's economic performance trump the impeachment hoax ?

Old 12-06-2019, 06:41 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure. I remember you going "all-in" when DOW was nearly 27K and that was nearly 2 years ago, so you have made practically zero gains in 2 years.
I've never gone all in except in seven card hold'em !!!
Maybe you should think about not treating the stock markets like a card game with a deck of jokers !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies