Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 02:09 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
You don't buy when it's in freefall.
I have a feeling that lot of people are going to get whipsawed. Just wait till there's a dead cat bounce.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:10 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It did it !!!!!!

Heck I was willing to give it a whole 'nother month !!!!!!

Blew right through the 26,000 mark !!!!!!

Epic barf at the end !!!!!!
When I realized we were in a correction was Tuesday and Wednesday when markets opened up and crashed back down by end of market.

Now we're in a free fall. Where this stops is anyone's guess. But 25k seems too high for me. I'm going on a limb and saying 20k.

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
You don't buy when it's in freefall.
Sure I do....then I buy more if it goes down further.

Apple and other companies doing buybacks have bought their own stock at much higher prices than the bottom......I'd better Apple is buying now.

I don't think they are stupid. Either a company is worthwhile over the next decade or it is not.

It's completely impossible to market time. But I've averaged about 11% compounded for as long as I can look back and that is all I need. I'm no pig.

BUT, if Trump fans truly believe - wouldn't they buy stuff at a 20% discount?

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Bernie is a big worry for Democrats, so its extremely likely that Bernie is a big worry for investors too.
The virus is the main cause for stock market decline, but Bernie becoming the Democrat front-runner has contributed to the decline too.

WOW, that's a pretty lame excuse for what's going with the markets. The Democrats have a long way to go yet before that race is decided. Sounds like you just want somebody to share the blame with, somebody other than Trump. Most reasonable people understand what's going on, and the cause behind it. And it just happen to be on Trump's watch.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I have a feeling that lot of people are going to get whipsawed. Just wait till there's a dead cat bounce.
There was a dead cat bounce on Wednesday, it sold off. I predict some more dead cat bounces until now and 20k by end of years end.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:11 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
I think soon we're going to be talking job losses.

Does anybody think it will get as bad as 600,000+ per month like it was during the fall of 2008?

Old 02-27-2020, 02:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
When I realized we were in a correction was Tuesday and Wednesday when markets opened up and crashed back down by end of market.

Now we're in a free fall. Where this stops is anyone's guess. But 25k seems too high for me. I'm going on a limb and saying 20k.
In the end I don't care if it hits 15K. It went down similarly in the Great Recession and the CV is likely to be vastly less of a hit.

How long do you think it will take to recover from 15K if it hits there?

In the worst case I will buy up some more dividend stocks - they are my biggest holding anyway (Vanguard Dividend Growth). So if if my "worth" is way down I will collect the income and live like a Prince instead of a King. No big deal as I am fine living even like a "commoner".

Old 02-27-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sure I do....then I buy more if it goes down further.

Apple and other companies doing buybacks have bought their own stock at much higher prices than the bottom......I'd better Apple is buying now.

I don't think they are stupid. Either a company is worthwhile over the next decade or it is not.

It's completely impossible to market time. But I've averaged about 11% compounded for as long as I can look back and that is all I need. I'm no pig.

BUT, if Trump fans truly believe - wouldn't they buy stuff at a 20% discount?
You can but it's basically you at the roulette table. Or you will need to hold out for a break. We all agree that some of the better companies will comeback to these levels, but maybe not for years.

I believed the economy was good prior to COVID-19. Things change. You update and move from there.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:13 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
There was a dead cat bounce on Wednesday, it sold off. I predict some more dead cat bounces until now and 20k by end of years end.
I won't make a prediction but I believe 20K is within the realm of possibility.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In the end I don't care if it hits 15K. It went down similarly in the Great Recession and the CV is likely to be vastly less of a hit.

How long do you think it will take to recover from 15K if it hits there?

In the worst case I will buy up some more dividend stocks - they are my biggest holding anyway (Vanguard Dividend Growth). So if if my "worth" is way down I will collect the income and live like a Prince instead of a King. No big deal as I am fine living even like a "commoner".
VDG only pays 1-2% in dividends annually? Why not BP that pays 8%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies