Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 02:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think soon we're going to be talking job losses.

Does anybody think it will get as bad as 600,000+ per month like it was during the fall of 2008?
No. But the unemployment rate already increased (filings for unemployment) and that was even figuring time before the big CV news.

Getting a job won't be the problem. As always, making a living is the harder part. If I was younger I'd do the same thing I did them.....make my own way. Learn trades...multiple trades. Always have a backup plan and never be scared to work.

I know everyone doesn't have that choice but those who do should consider it. Corporate America is not to be relied on for secure employment.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:14 PM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think soon we're going to be talking job losses.

Does anybody think it will get as bad as 600,000+ per month like it was during the fall of 2008?
Yeah, I think it will. Buy DOG, or maybe SH - they are both inverse funds and rise as the market falls.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
You can but it's basically you at the roulette table. Or you will need to hold out for a break. We all agree that some of the better companies will comeback to these levels, but maybe not for years.

I believed the economy was good prior to COVID-19. Things change. You update and move from there.
As I said before, if the economy was "normal" over the last 20 years we'd be at 65K DOW. The fact that we didn't hit 1/2 that shows that it sucked. You cannot debate basic math (do the math...go back 20 years, use a compound calculator and see).

I think most of us would agree that, in a year, the CV will be done with. If it kills the aged (and I am one of them) that is not a big hit for "the economy". They are not the target demo of the consumer economy.

If a house cannot withstand a storm then it wasn't built right. Period.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:21 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
[quote=craigiri;57437917]Talk is cheap. I am right that all Americans need health care coverage. I am right that Americans should wash their hands. I am right that we need immigrants to do a lot of the work here (Americans won't do it).....

But what is really right are results. The bottom line is that the PMI (manufacturing and forward looking manufacturing) are in the toilet and virtually nothing has happened to "bring manufacturing back" nor is it likely to ever happen....short of robotic manufacturing, which will still depend on global supply chains.

Even then we'd need to sell that stuff all around the world and the world doesn't want a one-way street.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:24 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As I said before, if the economy was "normal" over the last 20 years we'd be at 65K DOW. The fact that we didn't hit 1/2 that shows that it sucked. You cannot debate basic math (do the math...go back 20 years, use a compound calculator and see).

I think most of us would agree that, in a year, the CV will be done with. If it kills the aged (and I am one of them) that is not a big hit for "the economy". They are not the target demo of the consumer economy.

There will be two, three maybe more waves of covid-19. The only thing that will slow it down is a vaccine which is not happening for a year or more. I predict it will ebb in a month after devastating the global economy and then return again in October.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:24 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:

That's the thing. Trump's debt financed goosing of the market and his bullying of the fed to push down interest rates has produced a house of cards. Now what is left for Trump to use to stabilize the situation? Pile on more debt with more tax cuts?

Old 02-27-2020, 02:26 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:

Back at the start of 2000, Dow was around 10,000 and we entered a recession. For the next 2 years, until about 2002, we fell to 8,500. Then the stock market roared back to 14,000 before collapsing in 2007, down to 6,000 in 2009. From 2009 until now it surged to nearly 30,000. The longest bull run in history.

I don't know where your math, or assumptions come from.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:27 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
This is really the first true test of Trump's presidency. We will see how he preforms in the coming months. So far, not good. But we're in territory that is unprecedented.
By placing Pence in charge and mandating that all public health statements must be cleared through him, and by telling public health officials at the CDC or the NIH what they are and are not allowed to say, Trump has already failed.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:28 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
The DOW has taken it's biggest dip in 2 years. Goldman Sachs predicts business earnings outlook at ZERO.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:28 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
This is really the first true test of Trump's presidency. We will see how he preforms in the coming months. So far, not good. But we're in territory that is unprecedented.
Trump's plan seems to be letting Pence hold the bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies