Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:45 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times

Advertisements

Here is what I have seen in my area. Charts and numbers can be manipulated to lean one way or another, so I tend to not get too hung up on those. Even after researching , things still seem a bit speculative.
During the Obama years, I didn't see a lot of the buildings trades hiring. I have several friends that own businesses and they struggled thru those years. I did see a trend of more part time hiring, Walmart, Target , Fast food jobs etc. The manufacturing sector (what I'm in) struggled at the beginning of his presidency but slowly climbed out of the hole it had become.

Now under Trump, I've seen the building trades booming. My friends businesses have done a 180 , now the problem is they can't hire enough people. My profession seems to have leveled off and the Walmart type of jobs seems to be doing the same. I see a lot of help wanted signs. That being said, we are seeing companies like Sears, and Kmart that are most likely going to close up.

So who really knows ? The building trades are the only ones that have visibly started booming , at least in my area. The rest seems to be the same. I do see more people spending though. The scope of my opinion is just in my small circle of life, though.
As far as the market and the GDP. Well regardless of whom started the climb, it has continued. Who cares who is responsible as long as we see our country prospering and those that were struggling are starting to get a break. Sure we have many hurdles to over come, health care being a large one but I don't care what side you lean on, we all should agree that things are on the right track. Nothing is ever going to be perfect for everyone, we all need to understand that, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 08:48 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,632,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Please read post #40, which explains my position on the whole matter. It has nothing to do with cheering or not cheering the news, it has everything to do with the ridiculous predictions and expecations of Trump and his fans. I am not cheering the news, I am cheering the Trump fans and their predictions looking stupid.
And this is ANY different than the outright lies Obama told during his first term? Shall we do a side by side comparison of what Obama got done in his first year vs what Trump got accomplished?

Old 01-05-2018, 08:51 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
And this is ANY different than the outright lies Obama told during his first term? Shall we do a side by side comparison of what Obama got done in his first year vs what Trump got accomplished?
This was non responsive. Did you even read, let alone comprehend, what I said in post #40? It appears you did not.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:52 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Apologies, I meant post #38: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post50603183

Old 01-05-2018, 09:05 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,849,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Because of this new tax bill the President signed, German investors will invest billions more dollars into US businesses. Doesn't it stand to reason that with billions of new dollars coming into the USA, that this might translate into a positive economic impact, as in new jobs, better paying jobs, and maybe more full-time jobs?

Germans Fear Tax Cut Will Spur US Investment and Growth

German investment in the US is expected to rise by €39 billion because of lower US corporate taxes.
While Americans are anxiously awaiting full details of the tax bill now being finalized in Congress, German economists are warning that the changes sought by President Donald Trump mean that significant amounts of new investment and jobs will shift from Europe to the United States.

“The tax competition will have a new dimension,” said Christoph Spengel, chairman of the corporate tax department at the University of Mannheim. Mr. Spengel, who is also a research associate at the Center for European Economic Research, and a group of tax experts at the university have done a detailed comparison of the two countries’ tax systems and published a report under the heading, “Germany loses out in US tax reform.”
I believe the tax cut will be good for stocks at least in the short term because it will raise profitability. However, what is a company like Apple going to do with that additional capital. They already have more assets than they know what to do with. This true of many large companies. They are sitting a cash hordes in the billions. They have been able to borrow at very low rates. Its less than clear what some of these companies will find to do with increased capital. Buying back their own securities is good for the stock price, but doesn't directly improve the economy.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:05 AM

693 posts, read 357,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
What you say you will do, but then can't do due to being blocked in doing so, are not "lies".

If we're going to go by "lies", trump by far lies the most. I think he's on record as being the biggest liar out of anyone, republican or democrat.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:27 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi.../#51e773b86786

Trump was right when he said that the economy seems to do better under the democrats.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Actually, employment for Year 2017 peaked in September with 154,494,000 Americans employed, but has declined each month to 153,602,000 Million employed, showing a loss of 892,000 jobs.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:33 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Job growth slows to a six-year low in Trump’s first year. MAGA!
We don't care. We're still going to vote for Republicans.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:40 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Actually, employment for Year 2017 peaked in September with 154,494,000 Americans employed, but has declined each month to 153,602,000 Million employed, showing a loss of 892,000 jobs.
Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies