Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 03:33 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,691,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Trade wars are bad for stocks, and it is effin' amazing that one has to even mention that.

It takes a Trump voter to argue that making imported Mexican goods 10% more expensive to the US consumer is "making Mexico pay".

Mexico won't pay for your Maginot line, guys.
I’d like people to buy more US goods.

Not everyone wants to buy nothing but cheap foreign products as jobs disappear here, well except maybe you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:34 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,361,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why do you keep repeating this when I have said the wall will deter border jumpers. No one is saying it will deter visa over stayers as that will have to be addressed in a different way. WTH is wrong with you that you can't seem to grasp that?
You're missing the obvious point that latimeria is making. It's better to focus money on the bigger problems rather than the smaller ones. Since Trump is going to have Mexico pay for the wall, we should spend our own money on the bigger problem of visa holders overstaying.

To quote a fool: "WTH is wrong with you that you can't seem to grasp that?"

Old 01-07-2018, 03:35 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,125,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Not everyone wants to buy nothing but cheap foreign products as jobs disappear here, well except maybe you.
That's interesting. On one hand, you guys love to claim you're trying to protect the lower class by eliminating the competition for cheap labor, but here you are arguing that rising prices on goods is somehow a positive despite the fact that it would hurt the lower-income brackets the most. So they'd have a crappy job picking fruit, but still be too poor to pay for anything. Great plan.

2,151 posts, read 1,361,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

People who want to buy US goods, already do. There's plenty of high quality goods available... it's not like we don't have a choice.

48,586 posts, read 35,047,383 times
Quote:
Why do you keep repeating this when I have said the wall will deter border jumpers. No one is saying it will deter visa over stayers as that will have to be addressed in a different way. WTH is wrong with you that you can't seem to grasp that?
Because numbers indicate that overstays are greater or around the same number as than illegal border crossings. For a itsy-bitsy fraction of the wall money, you could knock out about half of illegals from South America.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-07-2018, 03:37 PM

5,316 posts, read 2,125,599 times
Quote:
Because I believe something different than you as far as what would be a better solution? Your wall links that you post are a decade+ old. If you can show me current stats of the different facets you argue(like the last year or so) that’s one thing. But people keep focusing on the wall so fervently when that’s not even really how many of these people come now.

I just don’t think a full scale wall is needed to battle this instead of trying all of the other more plausible and useful solutions first like real full scale e-verify, visa reform, more border security, etc. Also work on keeping our guns from heading to Mexico and battling demand for drugs too.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,778,375 times
Quote:
Trump stil believes that Mexico will pay for wall.
He already asked American tax payers for the money. He will ask for more, since his wall will end costing over $100 billion (not 10 billion like he said initially). So, he is going to burn $100B of tax payer money and then insist Mexico paid for it.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:44 PM

63,156 posts, read 29,323,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
So basic. Like mathematics.

How about you stop employing them and holding those that do accountable? That's easier than getting Mexico to pay for the wall.
Here's some more basic mathematics for you. Unless we remove all of the incentives for them to come here such as birthright citizenship and benefits for their kids jobs alone won't do it. Also, criminals and terrorists aren't looking for jobs, thus the wall. It's partly our government's fault that Mexicans and other illegals have violated our borders illegally en masse so I have no problem with us paying for the wall in part or all of it. It's cheaper to build the wall than the increasing costs due to illegal immigration.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:46 PM

48,586 posts, read 35,047,383 times
Statistically, we have suffered more terrorism from our own citizens. So if terrorism is a concern, the wall will not help.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-07-2018, 03:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,691,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That's interesting. On one hand, you guys love to claim you're trying to protect the lower class by eliminating the competition for cheap labor, but here you are arguing that rising prices on goods is somehow a positive despite the fact that it would hurt the lower-income brackets the most. So they'd have a crappy job picking fruit, but still be too poor to pay for anything. Great plan.
So, if there were no jobs in the US but lots of super cheap products, you believe that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies