Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 03:45 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Freedom means I leave you alone and you leave me alone.

So why the law to restrict free speech for one group? THAT is marginalization. Telling me what I can and cannot say? THAT is hating freedom.

Some posters seem to believe that if you disagree with a law that restricts free speech you somehow hate people.

No one has said anywhere on this thread to restrict freedoms of transgenders. No one. It's simply not here.

And again, I am seeing lots of name calling by those who are allegedly filled with love and tolerance. Funny how they don't practice it.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:47 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For the uninitiated:

Gender Fluid | Gender Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

To me it all sounds like a bunch of crap.
I have to agree with you there. If it is real, I guess I just don't understand it.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:47 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Doesn't matter if we view it as a real thing or not. If the activist courts get their way, we'll be forced to accept it as valid or else be arrested for "hate speech" or else fined $135K for "emotional damage" to someone you used the "wrong gender pronoun" to.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:51 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Doesn't matter if we view it as a real thing or not. If the activist courts get their way, we'll be forced to accept it as valid or else be arrested for "hate speech" or else fined $135K for "emotional damage" to someone you used the "wrong gender pronoun" to.
One more strawman in there and you'd have a basketball team!

Old 01-11-2018, 04:02 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Check out Lindsey Shepherd, a TA in Canada who was called in for disciplinary meeting because she talked about pronouns and showed a 5-minute video clip during a grammar tutorial.

Seriously disturbing. Canada has a hate speech law on the books. She was told by her professors that she committed sexual assault. Because she discussed pronouns in a neutral and unbiased way.

Had she taught pronouns as gender/trans approved way, there would have been no problem.

HOWEVER: Because she wanted her students to think for themselves, it was a problem. A big problem.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Do you think "Gender Fluidity" is a real thing?
No. Imo these days, everyone is overthinking this and creating problems and issues where there were none before.

As I have posted before, I am a very happy heterosexual tomboy. Have been all of my life. And I do feel that if I were a child now, other people would be encouraging me to be a boy instead, rather than me just being a gal who prefers sneakers to uncomfortable high heels, hates putting on makeup and who loves driving a Civic hatchback with a manual gearbox.

And after trying to convince me that I would rather be a boy, since I am attracted to men only... I guess they would be turning me into a gay male.

I do wonder if homosexuality is due to overpopulation and stress... as Mother Nature's way of trying to shrink our vast numbers of humans overrunning our planet. And with these transexuals, maybe it's because of all the hormones in our food. As in a pregnant women carrying a male fetus is exposed to excess female hormones in her diet (like soy products) and environment, or if she is carrying a female fetus, she is eating too much peanut products (which chemically has a similar structure to testosterone). Anyway, I consider homosexuality and transgenders to be an aberration from the norm. Sure, I accept their presence and existence, but they are flawed human beings... not that anyone is perfect. But Mother Nature's ideal is heterosexuality, and two sexes. Once we accept all this fluidity nonsense, we are at the level of a hermaphrodite slug.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:35 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Sure, I accept their presence and existence, but they are flawed human beings... not that anyone is perfect.
Every single human being is flawed, deeply. We're all different in our own ways; some visible and some not visible.

I notice that the people who spend the most time marginalizing and bullying others for being different are usually people who realize their own deep flaws and differences but need to keep the negative attention on others so they won't have to think about their own stuff.

But it also depends on what kind of differences a person has; being transgender, gender fluid, or gender nonconforming is not seen by mental health professionals as an illness, and it harms no one else.

But what if someone is a psychopath or sociopath, a difference that actually causes harm to other people?

Why are these toxic and dangerous personality types more accepted in society than someone on the transgender spectrum? What does this say about the actual "values" of our society?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:42 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Fair enough.

More that there's crazier things that we accommodate.... like the concept that a human being is the son of some creature that that single-handedly created the universe.
We may add that said human being resuscitated after being dead for three days.

But the best one has to be that god needs 10 percent of your income.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
I'm sure most old-school transsexuals (those with genuine gender dysphoria, usually gay men transitioning) just want to live free from judgement and discrimination but the loudest voices in the transgender community want to take away women's sex-based rights and aren't doing any good for the genuine transsexuals (many of whom are starting to speak up now against the trans rights activists, who then call them truscum and hate them as much as they hate feminists) and don't have gender dysphoria and campaign against that being part of the diagnosis of transgender. There's also a homophobic element to this, with the transitioning of young gay and lesbian teenagers to make them "straight" (and in the process, if they go from puberty blockers to cross-sex hormones, sterilise them so it's gay eugenics which is even worse), it's basically conversion therapy that's all the right-on folks approve of. Those are the people that I'm against, not genuine transsexuals who have co-existed alongside females for a very long time with no issues (I think Geekigurl falls into this catagory?)

Old 01-12-2018, 02:42 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Whoa, hey now, I'm not that old school lol.

I don't get into the politics of being a transsexual, really I just want to live my life as peacefully as possible. I agree that there are some of us who are all "trannier than thou" towards trans people who don't transition, for whatever reason. I stay away from people like that. I also have a problem with the more vocal trans rights activists that do much more harm to the community than most any other group. I'm all for equality, until it conflicts with someone else's free agency, with the exception of people who demean us for no reason, other than being jerks. An example would be the the former building manager of my apartment building, who would use my birth name, refer to me as 'he', and even referred to me as a 'shim' a time or two. He knew better, but did this simply because he could, knowing there wasn't anything I could do about it. [newtovenice: this is what the law in Cali prevents, that type of harassment, because that isn't right.]. The current owners of the building are wonderfully affirming and amazing.

Those transpeople who don't have gender dysphoria are just as trans as I am, and those saying otherwise are being ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I'm sure most old-school transsexuals (those with genuine gender dysphoria, usually gay men transitioning) just want to live free from judgement and discrimination but the loudest voices in the transgender community want to take away women's sex-based rights and aren't doing any good for the genuine transsexuals (many of whom are starting to speak up now against the trans rights activists, who then call them truscum and hate them as much as they hate feminists) and don't have gender dysphoria and campaign against that being part of the diagnosis of transgender. There's also a homophobic element to this, with the transitioning of young gay and lesbian teenagers to make them "straight" (and in the process, if they go from puberty blockers to cross-sex hormones, sterilise them so it's gay eugenics which is even worse), it's basically conversion therapy that's all the right-on folks approve of. Those are the people that I'm against, not genuine transsexuals who have co-existed alongside females for a very long time with no issues (I think Geekigurl falls into this catagory?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies