Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 02:26 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yeah, allowing them to use the same bathroom is not a big deal to me.
I have thought about this, and I really don't like using public bathrooms anymore anyway. You just never know who one might find, especially when there aren't many people around.

I have a 31 year old son with Down syndrome who is lower functioning, and I have to "plan" around the need for a bathroom. Too old to go in the women's and the men's is, IMO, too risky in so many ways. No facility in our town of 25,000 has any other option, and going out of town a distance with him leaves me with "eyeballs floating"!

Although I realize it is a "financial" issue, it would be nice to have more separate facilities.

The Corp of Engineer Parks (camping) here have went to locked doors, one area had family size toilet/showers and the other single. Much better and safer for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
The problem is that the third set of bathrooms just adds much more cost to any business owner so its not very feasible. That is why having stalls anyone can use works just fine. I see that a lot in Scandinavia and it makes things easier for everyone.
We have stalls, but you can look through most, so not private if you have a peeper! Also, there is the safety issue that has nothing to do with gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I agree with that, however transgender individuals should not be mandated to use that third option. The third option could be for the cis-gender individual that would not feel comfortable using the same restroom with a trans individual, with the exception of grade schools and high schools. At that age (U18) there should be a distinct separation.
No. If a transgendered looks presents as a "female", there should not be problem most of the time if "she" uses the facility for "females", same with males. BUT, getting up in the morning and feeling like a female when you are male and going into the females' bathroom because one feels like a male between their ears, JUST NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Most places usually have a separate disabled toilet which is unisex anyway so that could be the designated third toilet. For those that don't and can't afford/can't fit in a third toilet then the male toilets should be re-designated unisex not the female toilets (as tends to be the case, annoyingly)

How about no. Women have a right to sex-segregated spaces and have fought hard for that right, it should not be taken away (note: trans people that 'pass' aren't going to be questioned going into the toilets that they prefer and have done so without issue for decades, no problem with that continuing, my problem is with the new wave of transgender identifying males who are aggressive and threatening towards anyone that questions them - they do not belong in female spaces)
Actually, most places do not. I have never seen it in the states where I have lived. Maybe in bigger cities, but not that I have it.

I agree, if they "pass" as the designated use group of the facility, there shouldn't be problems. And, let's face it, a transgendered, just like some not, have a wide range so one doesn't have to be that feminine or that masculine looking to pass as the gender they are identifying with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No, there are two and only two genders, male and female.

There can be some physical deformity (hermaphroditism.) The rest, homo/bi sexuality, transvetitism, etc., are mental illnesses. We should be working on curing them, to do so (both to research cures, or actually implement treatments) would be un-PC, so they are not pursued.
Nope! I guess you missed my earlier post. You are thinking that one must be XX or XY, but that isn't true. I thought that too. I also thought with hermaphroditism that a simple chromosome test would tell which way that individual should go, but that isn't true either.

WHO | Gender and Genetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Sigh, no, sex and gender are not the same thing. Sex its what's between your legs. Gender is what's between your ears.

And to some degree, everyone is genderfluid. There is no cure for being a human being.
BUT, restrooms and showers are designated per what is between one's legs, thus the dispute.

Gender fluid is not a "thing" that being a human being involves. You aren't a male one day and wake up a female another day. In my head, I have been a female for over 6 decades. I never felt like a male in my head and have never known anyone that felt such a thing. Anyone that confused..........

I can agree to someone's genitalia not being a match with what their head is telling them, but that would be something that began in the womb and was present and identified later in their life. There is evidence that supports that, biological evidence, not "feelings".

I am sorry to see "gender fluidity" being talked about with transgenderism. I think it takes away from the reality of what transgenderism is unless I misunderstand it, transgenderism isn't about changing one's gender as much as it is about correcting an error that has taken place in the womb during the process of becoming "whole".

Feeling like a male one day, next day something else, next week changing again, just no! Being born with something that needs to be corrected, yes, I see evidence to support that.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:27 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
It's a real thing, and not a new concept. I met someone about seven or eight years ago who was gender fluid...and I had not heard of it at the time so they explained it to me. I'm sure we've all met gender fluid people but we didn't necessarily know they were.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
It's a real thing, and not a new concept. I met someone about seven or eight years ago who was gender fluid...and I had not heard of it at the time so they explained it to me. I'm sure we've all met gender fluid people but we didn't necessarily know they were.
So how does it work?

Did you talk to Steve one day and Sharon the next?

Old 01-12-2018, 02:40 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So how does it work?

Did you talk to Steve one day and Sharon the next?
Would be funny to go to bed with Sharon and wake up with Steve!

I wonder if this could be related to Multiple Personality Disorder where 2 or more distinct personalities exist within the same person, sometimes male and sometimes female is a possibility. Just googled and many are asking this question. MPD is now called Dissociative Disorder. Sounds very feasible to me. This is not about a biological and mind match as I see transgendered as being, as I thought they felt "misassigned" by biology, not just a fleeting "feeling" male or female when getting out of bed in the morning.

Everyone is aware that there have always been more feminine males and more masculine females, but that didn't make them a different gender, There is a wide range of "normal" but fluctuating between male and female, unless this is a part of the journey of a transgendered, just no.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 01-12-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I wonder if this could be related to Multiple Personality Disorder where 2 or more distinct personalities exist within the same person, sometimes male and sometimes female is a possibility.
I really want to know how this works. In reality. How they act in reality. Not as a stunt or because it's trendy. But someone who truly considers themself * gender fluid.*

How does it work? Do they have two sets of clothing? Two drivers' licenses? Two health insurance cards?

I have never met anyone who told me that they were gender fluid. Do they tell you they are gender fluid? Otherwise, you're right, you'd think the person had a mental disorder (go figure ... wait a minute ... )

Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Most places usually have a separate disabled toilet which is unisex anyway so that could be the designated third toilet. For those that don't and can't afford/can't fit in a third toilet then the male toilets should be re-designated unisex not the female toilets (as tends to be the case, annoyingly)

How about no. Women have a right to sex-segregated spaces and have fought hard for that right, it should not be taken away (note: trans people that 'pass' aren't going to be questioned going into the toilets that they prefer and have done so without issue for decades, no problem with that continuing, my problem is with the new wave of transgender identifying males who are aggressive and threatening towards anyone that questions them - they do not belong in female spaces)
If by trans male you mean, female to male, I agree they should not use the women's room they use to men's room. Keep in mind however if states pass bathroom laws such as the recently overturned NC HB2, then trans males by law must use the ladies room in all public facilities.

My original point however was in the case of a third single use bathroom, a trans individual should be allowed to use the facility that they identify as and not be restricted to the single use restroom. For those that may not be comfortable with that can get the privacy they want by using the single use restroom.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:47 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I wonder if this could be related to Multiple Personality Disorder where 2 or more distinct personalities exist within the same person, sometimes male and sometimes female is a possibility.
You could argue that, however my ex-wife had real MPD, and its far more complex then that-for one its often co-morbid with other mental issues. Having just 2 would have been nice. But imagine trying to maintain a relationship with multiple people, some of who were not...into you shall we say.

Thier sexual identity and preferences are just one thing among a vast sea of issues.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:51 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You could argue that, however my ex-wife had real MPD, and its far more complex then that-for one its often co-morbid with other mental issues. Having just 2 would have been nice. But imagine trying to maintain a relationship with multiple people, some of who were not...into you shall we say.

Thier sexual identity and preferences are just one thing among a vast sea of issues.
People who are non-binary do not have MPD, that is a common assumption that mental health experts have ruled out. And sexual preference is something completely different and is not related.

Speaking of your ex having MPD, that must have been really hard and confusing for you! Glad you are free of her.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:58 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
No idea. But so many things sound like a bunch of crap... like a virgin birth. But we accommodate it.
Exactly. There is more scientific evidence to support the whole range of sexual preferences and identities than there is that some carpenter walked on water and returned from the dead 2,000 years ago. And yet, we're to ignore all the science supporting the former and - insanely - deny people basic civil rights based on the completely lack of real evidence of the later. Which is even more ironic since regardless of Jesus's powers and background, HE wouldn't have supported denying people basic civil rights?!

Old 01-12-2018, 04:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies