Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And, why didn't they happen until Trump was President then? Planned is one thing. Actuality is another. Many things are planned years in advance, waiting for the right circumstances to put those pans into action.

If Obama was so great, why didn't these things happen during his administration? I'll give you one reason: High taxes.
Auto manufacturers have been coming here for decades, you just didn't notice. These things are planned years in advance.

I thought you disliked globalists.

Quote:
The decision to move to Atlanta was part of a 50-year decision Mercedes made for the plant moving forward. Moran said that 50-year plan not only involves the new corporate headquarters but also Vance's manufacturing facility.

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...l-role-in.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I just remember when that fool got on tv promising “shovel-ready jobs for everyone”!
I remember Republicans blocking those infrastructure proposals.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:03 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Automation requires employees who have the skills and training to operate and troubleshoot equipment using computers.
Operating and troubleshooting are two different skill sets. Technicians troubleshoot. Operators operate. And programmers program those computer controlled machines (which, by the way, have been around for many years).

Quote:
Manufacturers report that they already have difficulty finding skilled employees.
This is pure bull. Can you cite some credible sources? Skilled employees have been laid off, replaced by foreign workers, who had to be trained by those they were replacing!

Quote:
Cutting funding for training is shooting ourselves in the foot.
Why should the government be funding training? That isn't the job of the government! Yes, I had some Navy training in electronics, because I was in the Navy, and they needed electronic technicians. When I got out of the Navy, I took additional electronics training at a technical school. It was a private school, not a government school.

We have colleges and technical schools. That's where the training happens. There is no shortage of people who desire to enter the technical fields.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I remember Republicans blocking those infrastructure proposals.
Can you give some examples, or is this just political rhetoric; i.e., B.S.? What "infrastructure proposals" did the Republicans block. I seem to recall it was the Democrats who blocked the Keystone XL Pipeline, which was a "shovel ready" project

He refused to build a border wall, which had already been authorized by Congress, and a project he was for as a Senator, before he was against it as President. Another "shovel ready" job.

But Obama threw away billions of dollars on stupid "programs" like "renewable energy" (Solyndra) and "Cash for Clunkers" (which only served to create a shortage of good used cars and drive up the price).

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 01-10-2018 at 05:24 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 05:20 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Can you give some examples, or is this just political rhetoric; i.e., B.S.? What "infrastructure proposals" did the Republicans block. I seem to recall it was the Democrats who blocked the Keystone XL Pipeline, which was a "shovel ready" project
Here's some links for you:

Senate GOP blocks Obama infrastructure plan | NOLA.com

$478B Infrastructure Bill Blocked by Senate GOP | The Fiscal Times

Barack Obama Floats Transportation Bill But Republican Balk | Time

I could really post links to this for hours.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:25 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Operating and troubleshooting are two different skill sets. Technicians troubleshoot. Operators operate. And programmers program those computer controlled machines (which, by the way, have been around for many years).

This is pure bull. Can you cite some credible sources? Skilled employees have been laid off, replaced by foreign workers, who had to be trained by those they were replacing!

Why should the government be funding training? That isn't the job of the government! Yes, I had some Navy training in electronics, because I was in the Navy, and they needed electronic technicians. When I got out of the Navy, I took additional electronics training at a technical school. It was a private school, not a government school.

We have colleges and technical schools. That's where the training happens. There is no shortage of people who desire to enter the technical fields.
Another Nonsense post. Always good for a laugh.

As to the same person being able to do all sorts of various jobs, who wrote that? Reading comprehension is your friend.

Do your own research. If you are so clueless that you haven't read a thing about how manufacturing companies have been complaining they can't find people with the skills and training they require, then a few links from me isn't going to help any.

So you got your electronics training courtesy of the government in the Navy. Good for you.

Few companies are willing to provide that training.

Tell those laid off coal miners, those factory workers who are unemployed due to automation, ... they need to pony up or borrow the thousands of dollars needed to attend private tech schools.

The benefit to our nation of having citizens with the skills and training needed for employment in the current economy are so obvious, I'm surprised it has to be pointed out.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Did you read why they opposed it? A tax "surcharge" on the "wealthy" and it was too costly. Ben Nelson -D, and Joe Lieberman -D, also opposed it. The Democrats then killed a competing GOP infrastructure bill that would have been paid for by cuts in other unspent funding.
This bill would have increased taxes on business. The Republicans rejected it on that basis. Job killing taxes on businesses are not the right way to fund infrastructure projects, especially during times of high unemployment. The Republicans objected to Sanders method of funding the proposal, and dictating tax policy.
While "high speed rail" sounds nice, the fact of the matter is that passenger rail was driven out of business many years ago by air travel, and that was long before we had jumbo jets. Air travel provides better and faster transportation, and is far safer than rail. It also requires no right-of-way (purchase of land ...or the taking of land ...from private individuals).

Rail service has been a non-profit making enterprise for decades. Amtrak is subsidized by the government. Why do we think high-speed rail would be profitable? Who would it benefit? Why take a train when you can fly? If high-speed rail was thought to be a money making project, the railroads, not the government, would be building it.

We don't want to fund "make work" projects.

Nice try.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:12 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Exactly. And many were still shovel ready when Obama left office. Now that he's gone, those plans can be brought to fruition.
This thread is about American jobs and the automotive industry, and it can be argued that Obama saved America's automotive industry.

"The former CEO of the super-sized used car dealership CarMax, Austin Ligon, said (Obama's) decisive action to restructure General Motors and Chrysler "helped prevent a domino effect that would have taken down everything in the auto industry, from the factories that manufactured auto parts to the dealers who sold the cars."
Did President Obama save the auto industry? | PolitiFact

And because of Obama's policies 640,000 American auto industry jobs were created and America's automobile industry now has record sales.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidki.../#535b41f03e83

Old 01-10-2018, 06:25 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
It's another blow to the unionized auto industry. From the article,

"The state's factories are also not unionized — a factor that seems to appeal to foreign automakers."

There is something about the UAW and maybe American unions in general that makes manufacturers avoid them. American collective bargaining has to be changed to bring it into line with practices in other countries.

These Southern auto plants have transformed their host cities. Sleepy backwoods communities have been transformed into modern communities with amenities that are better than those of most similar sized ones elsewhere.

Former powerhouses like (the usual ones) should study these cities and emulate them. That's the only way they'll ever come back.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:27 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Did you read why they opposed it? A tax "surcharge" on the "wealthy" and it was too costly. Ben Nelson -D, and Joe Lieberman -D, also opposed it. The Democrats then killed a competing GOP infrastructure bill that would have been paid for by cuts in other unspent funding.

This bill would have increased taxes on business. The Republicans rejected it on that basis. Job killing taxes on businesses are not the right way to fund infrastructure projects, especially during times of high unemployment. The Republicans objected to Sanders method of funding the proposal, and dictating tax policy.

While "high speed rail" sounds nice, the fact of the matter is that passenger rail was driven out of business many years ago by air travel, and that was long before we had jumbo jets. Air travel provides better and faster transportation, and is far safer than rail. It also requires no right-of-way (purchase of land ...or the taking of land ...from private individuals).

Rail service has been a non-profit making enterprise for decades. Amtrak is subsidized by the government. Why do we think high-speed rail would be profitable? Who would it benefit? Why take a train when you can fly? If high-speed rail was thought to be a money making project, the railroads, not the government, would be building it.

We don't want to fund "make work" projects.

Nice try.

It was a great try. There are many more examples of the Party of No rejecting ANY type of infrastructure plan. Of course they will have a million reasons for it. They had the majority and they had the means to make any of Obama's infrastructure plans suit them...and yet they didn't. They were determined, at any cost, to make sure Obama never got a plan through. You claimed that there were no plans and that they GOP didn't obstruct any to boot. You were incorrect. The reasons why the voted NO were varied and typical. There would have always been something. But we all know that it was just going to be NO. Period. Obstructionists at the cost of the country's infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies