Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:30 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times

Advertisements

UGH. It seems that in the UK like here in the US someone can be labelled a racist by mere association.

London (AFP) - The leader of Britain's anti-EU, anti-immigration UK Independence Party (UKIP) faced calls to resign on Sunday after his girlfriend reportedly made racist remarks about Prince Harry's fiancee Meghan Markle.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukip-lead...130735808.html

Ok the remarks were stupid and racist to a point but if your girlfriend says something stupid does it reflect on the boyfriend?

It is a good thing that I'm not in politics because last week I was walking my dog and he barked at a black guy. Does this make me a racist by association?

Should Bolton step down for his girlfriends remarks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
According to the tabloid, Marney wrote messages to a friend complaining that Markle -- an American actress of mixed race who is due to marry Harry in May -- would "taint our royal family" with her "seed".

"Next will be a Muslim PM (prime minister). And a black king," she was reported to have written.
So unverified sources in the tabloid press are now sufficient to attack a national leader and invite talk to force him from office? Seems like the Brits have gotten as pathetic as the American press lately.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So unverified sources in the tabloid press are now sufficient to attack a national leader and invite talk to force him from office? Seems like the Brits have gotten as pathetic as the American press lately.
Firstly the Head of UKIP Henry Bolton is not a national leader, indeed UKIP have no members of Parliament and it's up to UKIP itself as to what action it takes if any in relation to it's own party leader.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:47 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
UGH. It seems that in the UK like here in the US someone can be labelled a racist by mere association.

London (AFP) - The leader of Britain's anti-EU, anti-immigration UK Independence Party (UKIP) faced calls to resign on Sunday after his girlfriend reportedly made racist remarks about Prince Harry's fiancee Meghan Markle.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukip-lead...130735808.html

Ok the remarks were stupid and racist to a point but if your girlfriend says something stupid does it reflect on the boyfriend?

It is a good thing that I'm not in politics because last week I was walking my dog and he barked at a black guy. Does this make me a racist by association?

Should Bolton step down for his girlfriends remarks?
This issue appears to be far more complex than this simplistic reasoning suggests.

Bolton is being asked to leave or separate himself from his racist girlfriend by his own party--UKIP.

UKIP is somewhat on par with the US alt-right, anti-immigrant group, but Bolton has promoted himself as 'anti-far-right' and is attempting to change the tone and reputation of the UKIP party which was apparently infiltrated by alt-right racist types. The reasoning is that UKIP has lost 40% of its members since the Brexit vote, and the group needs to have the full confidence in their leader, as they have a lot to lose, as well as have a leader that will change the racist tone and reputation of the party.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-g...y-theresa-may/

Henry Bolton told to choose between Ukip leadership and girlfriend amid storm over racist Meghan Markle comments

The never-ending saga of the Ukip leadership continues with 'anti-far right' Henry Bolton in a pickle after his girlfriend turned out to be a bit racist | The Independent

Old 01-14-2018, 12:49 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Racist interpret everything in terms of race first.
The actual issue/issues are only a means to make the charge and win the day without discussion of the issues.
It worked before but times have changed.
Anyone who pushes back is now going to be tagged as racist.
Its now really a badge of honor that exposes the racist and proceeds to the issues.
It can no long be acceptable to ignore the issues and be sidelined by a racist charge.
The UK and Europe is at disadvantage because of who decides what is hate speech.
The population of Europe is being railroaded by the government and the lack of protection of free speech.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:29 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Trump has quoted The National Enquirer. And that was perfectly fine with Trump supporters. Now, if someone else uses like sources then, it’s not acceptable.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Trump has quoted The National Enquirer. And that was perfectly fine with Trump supporters. Now, if someone else uses like sources then, it’s not acceptable.
The National Enquirer sometimes gets the story right. That's the difference than say CNN or WaPo.

National Enquirer' Stories That Were True - Business Insider

Old 01-14-2018, 02:40 PM

27,660 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Racism wasn’t as much of a issue until the left weaponized it

Old 01-14-2018, 02:45 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
No need for him to step down.

I wouldn’t care if I were Meghan. That hard-faced chic is only 25? I’d be mad...lol.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
No need for him to step down.

I wouldn’t care if I were Meghan. That hard-faced chic is only 25? I’d be mad...lol.
The issue that has arisen from the racist woman's comments has nothing to do with what Markle thinks. It's about public perception of a political party and the leader's credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies