Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:22 AM

30,175 posts, read 11,815,563 times

Advertisements

People flocking to low-tax states could swing future elections | TheHill

In general, states that keep taxes low and provide a competitive business climate perform far better than the states that follow the tax-and-spend approach.

In terms of overall population changes over the past year, that finding is once again confirmed. The United States has grown to nearly 327 million residents, with highly competitive economies in Idaho, Nevada and Utah leading the way this past year in percentage growth.

GOP will pick up about 6 seats in the house just from people moving from high tax to low tax states. This will also help them in the Electoral College numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 05:37 AM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times
It is the gift that keeps on giving.

NY has lost 1/3rd its electoral votes in 4 decades. The loss of electoral votes exceeds Wisconsin's total, and that was a key state in 2016.

Florida went from being (mid 20th century) about the midpoint -26th-in US population, to 3rd.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:54 AM

18,500 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

In general, states that keep taxes low and provide a competitive business climate perform far better than the states that follow the tax-and-spend approach.

In terms of overall population changes over the past year, that finding is once again confirmed. The United States has grown to nearly 327 million residents, with highly competitive economies in Idaho, Nevada and Utah leading the way this past year in percentage growth.

GOP will pick up about 6 seats in the house just from people moving from high tax to low tax states. This will also help them in the Electoral College numbers.
I didn’t realize that Mississippi was an economic powerhouse.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Florida is bringing in many retirees looking for lower taxes.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I didn’t realize that Mississippi was an economic powerhouse.
Neither did Mississippi

Old 01-19-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Florida is bringing in many retirees looking for lower taxes.
Hasn't Florida always been a haven for retirees -- weather and all....lol.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Dumb question but if the migration is so great and those folks were originally Democratic voters for the most part -- you don't think that turns those once very conservative states into perhaps swing states.

That is a good thing for all of us because it means that no state is a 'shoe in' and candidates have to earn their votes.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:01 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,865,200 times
And don't forget that 264,000 Puerto Ricans just moved to Florida...and they remember who left them high and (not) dry.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:12 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:

show me the bit where the gop pick up 6 seats?

cause i think you just made that up... in fact my understanding that new districts may well result in big gains for Dems... but if you have some proof you guys are likely to pick up 6 more than you lose, please feel free to share.

because it appears to me you have made the classic error. the new districts are going to be urban/suburban., not rural and i doubt the Rs will be able to gerrymander those districts enough to "gain" seats... thus we will likely see some new dem reps coming out of texas, FL etc.

if i am wrong, show me jack... my guess is you have been hitting Drudge too much and you are buying his propaganda...

Old 01-19-2018, 10:13 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Dumb question but if the migration is so great and those folks were originally Democratic voters for the most part -- you don't think that turns those once very conservative states into perhaps swing states.

That is a good thing for all of us because it means that no state is a 'shoe in' and candidates have to earn their votes.
yeah i don't think Jack thought this thread through before posting it. My guess is he saw it on the "HILL " so he assumed it was a win for the right..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies