Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:26 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Several maps and by what I've heard people say of the demise of "Western culture" in the US due to Latin American immigration.
Are you arguing Mexican and central American culture is not different from American, and the mass movement into America has no effect? If 10's of millions of Americans primarily a certain ethnic and class migrated to Mexico, it wouldn't change anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 05:30 PM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Are you arguing Mexican and central American culture is not different from American, and the mass movement into America has no effect? If 10's of millions of Americans primarily a certain ethnic and class migrated to Mexico, it wouldn't change anything?
You're getting away from the topic. Mexican culture is in some ways different and in some ways similar. The title of this thread is about being considered part of the "West". Mexico is as much part of the "West" as is the United States linguistically and culturally. It's just not 100 percent the same culture.
Spanish is just as much a Western language as English. The Aztecs did not speak Spanish.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:31 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What is YOUR definition of western?
^
Thank you.

You need to give the definition of the "Western culture" first, but for THAT you need to know, where this definition ORIGINALLY came from and WHY)))

Old 01-19-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If explaining how "race mixing makes people hate western culture" it's a tall order for you, then admit that you are just talking out of your posterior based on your own prejudice.

And so far, I haven't heard much criticism about western culture except for maybe some fringe groups. And you could also say that alot of liberal ideas, as well as liberalism, come from western culture.
LOL that's not what I said. I'm saying a majority of those who are not ancestrally Western have animus toward Westerners and their culture. Don't try to hide and deny what people can clearly see, just from the Democrat party and the demographics of who supports them alone.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You're getting away from the topic. Mexican culture is in some ways different and in some ways similar. The title of this thread is about being considered part of the "West". Mexico is as much part of the "West" as is the United States linguistically and culturally. It's just not 100 percent the same culture.
Spanish is just as much a Western language as English. The Aztecs did not speak Spanish.
Mexico just doesn't have Western values, culture and shared ancestry like America. Speaking Spanish and being catholic just doesn't cut it. A big reason America didn't want to annex all of Mexico in American-Mexican war was they found the culture too alien from their own to assimilate.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:46 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
^
Thank you.

You need to give the definition of the "Western culture" first, but for THAT you need to know, where this definition ORIGINALLY came from and WHY)))
And this is the definition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

It is incredibly hard to agree on one concrete definition of western culture. It is generally

Old 01-19-2018, 05:47 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Several maps and by what I've heard people say of the demise of "Western culture" in the US due to Latin American immigration.
You are mixing two different issues. When the vast majority of Americans talk about the "demise of the western culture," they are talking about the influx of ideologically different philosophies and religions from non-western cultures. That is certainly NOT any nation to our south. It's primarily directed toward immigrants from the Middle East, who are fundamentally different from "us" on many, many levels beyond religion.

On the other hand, when Americans talk about "demise of the United States," they may be talking about the above, or they may be talking about our illegal immigration problem from south of our borders. That has nothing to do with the Hispanic "race" because that is nearly the same as our own. It has nothing to do with the culture or religion because it is very similar, if not the same, as our own. It MAY be reference to language, although Spanish is extremely common and always has been, at least where I live. More than likely the "demise of the United States" comments are referring to the TYPE of INDIVIDUALS that are coming in, not their background or beliefs. It usually isn't doctors, lawyers, or engineers who are coming in from Mexico. Those folks stay put. It is more often those who are not assets to our own economy and have no useful skills other than a strong back and a pair of hands, which is getting less and less useful as technology marches on.

It's interesting that every "western country" in the world is allowed (without complaint by leftists) to have standards concerning their immigrants, but we here in the US are not. All I would get from Canada if I wanted to live there is the middle finger. All I would get from Norway is the middle finger, even though half my great grandparents were from Norway. That's fine. But, by God, we here in the US can't have a standard as to who we let into our nation. We are expected to be a garbage dump.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Mexico just doesn't have Western values, culture and shared ancestry like America. Speaking Spanish and being catholic just doesn't cut it. A big reason America didn't want to annex all of Mexico in American-Mexican war was they found the culture too alien from their own to assimilate.
When you say America are you referring to the United States? The United States doesn't have a monopoly on Western values. It's one country out of many that make up the "West".
Perhaps the dictionary definition of "Western Culture" will help you.

"Western culture, sometimes equated with Western civilization, Western lifestyle or European civilization, is a term used very broadly to refer to a heritage of social norms, ethical values, traditional customs, belief systems, political systems, and specific artifacts and technologies that have some origin or association with Europe."

Please note it doesn't mention the United States but rather looks at the culture of Europe. Catholicism has been around for almost 2000 years and was the glue that held western culture together for centuries whether you like it or not.
I think your issue is that you equate Western Values with the United States or northern Europe only and nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
When you say America are you referring to the United States? The United States doesn't have a monopoly on Western values. It's one country out of many that make up the "West".
Perhaps the dictionary definition of "Western Culture" will help you.

"Western culture, sometimes equated with Western civilization, Western lifestyle or European civilization, is a term used very broadly to refer to a heritage of social norms, ethical values, traditional customs, belief systems, political systems, and specific artifacts and technologies that have some origin or association with Europe."

Please note it doesn't mention the United States but rather looks at the culture of Europe. Catholicism has been around for almost 2000 years and was the glue that held western culture together for centuries whether you like it or not.
I think your issue is that you equate Western Values with the United States or northern Europe only and nothing could be further from the truth.
Which is the case with America and Canada-British protestant cultures, which are more similar to Europe, but not Latin America. You seem to be making it all about nominal language and religion to the exclusion of everything else. If you want to believe countries like Mexico are Western culture however loosely, I don't agree but whatever.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Which is the case with America and Canada-British protestant cultures. You seem to be making it all about nominal language and religion to the exclusion of everything else. If you want to believe countries like Mexico are Western culture however loosely, I don't agree but whatever.
And what is everything else? Language, religion, family values in Mexico are all Western Culture. I don't know what else you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies