Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 12:37 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Had to look up that one - new to me.
You didn't know the 1% are taxed an additional 3.8% on their income to pay for other people's health care, while getting NOTHING in return?

Not to mention the 100's of thousands (for starters) over and above their fair share of income tax they are already paying (for nothing in return).

But let me guess, it's the poor that are being ripped off by the rich. Get a clue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
If you earn $100 and I earn $10, my problem is that in this country I do not have the right to purchase 1/10 as much house as you, so government effectively redistributes my income to my landlord.

Sure you do.

If you can find someone who will sell you a house for 1/10 of what mine cost, you have every right to buy it.

If I buy a house for 100k I am paying 1/10 of what someone else who bought a house for a million paid.

I have no right to their million dollar home if I can't afford it.
And you have no right to my 100k home if you can't afford it..
But you do have a right to negotiate how much you are willing to pay for it.

Again, you have the right to pursue happiness (or property) but you do not have the right to have it given to you.

Nor to have the price of property artificially controlled to enable to to afford it.

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Government interferes with natural rights, no doubt. I have never claimed otherwise, and in fact, I maintain that 99% of all government exists for is employing their monopoly on force/violence to violate the rights of their own citizens to their own amusement and aggrandizement.

Thing is - government is the opponent of, the antagonist towards, and the usurper of natural rights. They are the "those around you who must agree" that le roi mentioned, and they exist to limit your exercise of your natural rights.

If you have only $10 and your natural right to trade, and someone else has $10 worth of housing they are willing and happy to trade you for that $10...NOBODY SHOULD STAND IN THE WAY OF THAT TRADE. You have the right to trade voluntarily, and if there is something you demand that someone else is willing to trade you, yet you and that person are barred by an outside party from making that trade, you didn't lose your natural right, nor does the concept of that natural right change. No no...you had your rights violated.

Having your rights violated does not negate the concept of having rights. It just means you were the victim of an initiation of force. This doesn't make me wrong about natural rights theory, it makes government wrong for violating rights that you as the individual possess as a condition of your very existence.

Fair enough, thank you.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Sure you do.

If you can find someone who will sell you a house for 1/10 of what mine cost, you have every right to buy it.

If I buy a house for 100k I am paying 1/10 of what someone else who bought a house for a million paid.

I have no right to their million dollar home if I can't afford it.
And you have no right to my 100k home if you can't afford it..
But you do have a right to negotiate how much you are willing to pay for it.

Again, you have the right to pursue happiness (or property) but you do not have the right to have it given to you.

Nor to have the price of property artificially controlled to enable to to afford it.

But what if I want to purchase a land parcel 1/10 the size of the minimum lot size?

How is this different from government mandating a de facto minimum economic level for purchase?

Old 01-23-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
How is that different from a hypothetical law that prohibits the sale of milk in volume less than a gallon? Or prohibits the sale of cars below, say, $50K?
You are conflating natural rights with government imposed laws and regulations.

But you still have the natural right to work within the confines of those laws and regulations.

With rights come responsibilities.....

Not the least of which is to work towards fulfilling your own pursuit of happiness.

No one is going to hand it to you.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
But what if I want to purchase a land parcel 1/10 the size of the minimum lot size?

How is this different from government mandating a de facto minimum economic level for purchase?
Are there minimum lot sizes across the entire country?

Again......you have the right to pursue it by legal means.

You have no right to achieve it.

I have the right to seek employment.

I have no right to demand that you pay me for mowing your lawn.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
You didn't know the 1% are taxed an additional 3.8% on their income to pay for other people's health care, while getting NOTHING in return?

Not to mention the 100's of thousands (for starters) over and above their fair share of income tax they are already paying (for nothing in return).

But let me guess, it's the poor that are being ripped off by the rich. Get a clue!

I was aware of the 3.8% tax, had no idea specifically what SFA was. The meaning was clear from the context, but I was trying to figure out the acronym. I thought I had a good idea what "SF" was but couldn't figure out the "A". Turns out I was wrong about S and F and A.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Are there minimum lot sizes across the entire country?

Again......you have the right to pursue it by legal means.

You have no right to achieve it.

I have the right to seek employment.

I have no right to demand that you pay me for mowing your lawn.

Minimum lot sizes are standard in populated places - you pretty much have to head to Unashack territory to escape them. (Did he own the shack and/or the land or was he squatting?)

Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I want property rights and economic liberty. People without property NECESSARILY depend on the property rights of owners if they are to acquire property or have access to property.

Apparently you support socialized property rights for the collective benefit of property owners.
I support my right to not have my property values diminished by third world shanty shack neighbors.

So would you if you had a house.

If you want a 10K shanty shack there is always Mexico. But last time I check that economic model isn't working out that well for said shack owners.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I was aware of the 3.8% tax, had no idea specifically what SFA was. The meaning was clear from the context, but I was trying to figure out the acronym. I thought I had a good idea what "SF" was but couldn't figure out the "A". Turns out I was wrong about S and F and A.
Sweet F*** All. I.E. Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies