Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 05:29 PM

915 posts, read 1,624,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
IMO it's stupid for a test to be timed. I want to know that the person knows the information, not how fast they can get through it. This would apply all around.

I would rather hire the person that gets 100% in two hours as opposed to the one that gets 85% in 45 minutes.
However, some things in the real world demand fast response. While I'm a process person and don't necessarily want to rush through things, I recognize that my tendency disqualifies me for certain careers. LOL - how fast do you want an emergency room doctor to make a decision and save your life? Some things require proficiency and speed. If you can't keep up with the pace, find another career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 06:49 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Not at all. When done well, I get it every time.

Done. You can stop crying now.
Baby shampoo, stops mine every time.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2018, 07:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Baby shampoo, stops mine every time.

Thanks

Ditto. Although nobody knows what the H we're talking about...lol.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:09 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do I want to employ the person who gets all the questions right given enough time, or the person who gets most of them right in an arbitrary amount of time?
How many businesses don't have deadlines that must be met? Most people don't work for government and can take however long is required to get the job done.

In the real world 'good enough' that meets a required deadline is better than 'perfect' that never actually gets done.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
dailycaller.com/2018/01/22/university-gives-women-more-time-on-exams/

is this the sexism that the women's marchers were marching about?
More commie subversion of the ideals of actual equality and fairness that they only CLAIM to desire.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
If they need 15 more minutes, does that mean they are inferior in test-taking ability?

Old 01-23-2018, 08:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
They lengthened the time for all students believing that women were too fragile and couldn't handle the pressure of time restraints in comparison to their male peers.
Yes, but It's not because the women are "fragile". It's simply the case that women studying math at top schools like Oxford, although very bright, aren't quite geniuses to the level of the men. You have to be a genius to do high level math, and the distribution of math genius is heavily skewed male. Adding time is way to make the exam easier, which raises the performance of the weaker students who are more likely to be female.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If they need 15 more minutes, does that mean they are inferior in test-taking ability?
Maybe.

But it doesn't mean they have inferior skills in the real world, where someone isn't standing over them with a stopwatch.

I test way above my level of competence. Just because I'm an excellent test taker.

Doesn't make me more proficient in that field, though, vs. someone who tests poorly.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:40 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, but It's not because the women are "fragile". It's simply the case that women studying math at top schools like Oxford, although very bright, aren't quite geniuses to the level of the men. You have to be a genius to do high level math, and the distribution of math genius is heavily skewed male. Adding time is way to make the exam easier, which raises the performance of the weaker students who are more likely to be female.
Oh now, I don't know about that. It is true that fewer women do go into math. I have 2 degrees in math and have met a couple of women who were absolutely first rate mathematicians. One went the actuary route and the other retired from a major university as a math professor.

Sorry, I think you are wrong on this.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:02 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
I have an IQ of 79 but got 735 on my LSAT's, 700 on my verbal SAT's and 670 on my math SAT's. All this despite having moron-level intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies