Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times

Advertisements

In a real world scenario this means women are making more money because they take more time to do the same amount of work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:34 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Oh now, I don't know about that. It is true that fewer women do go into math. I have 2 degrees in math and have met a couple of women who were absolutely first rate mathematicians. One went the actuary route and the other retired from a major university as a math professor.

Sorry, I think you are wrong on this.
How is it possible to have earned two degrees in a field built on logic yet still believe that anecdotes like this about "a couple of women" make for a strong argument in a discussion of patterns and trends?

Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's getting to a point where being female is considered a disability that needs special protections.
I thought leftists don't believe in biological gender?

Old 01-24-2018, 01:14 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
How is it possible to have earned two degrees in a field built on logic yet still believe that anecdotes like this about "a couple of women" make for a strong argument in a discussion of patterns and trends?
It is just as valid as your prior posting that I responded to.

Few women go into math, that is true. But of those that do some are very, very good in it.

I really don't think that mathematical ability depends on gender. Either one has that ability or they don't.

Just my personal experience in math, doesn't matter to me what you think.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:13 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
I thought leftists don't believe in biological gender?
You thought wrong. It was a stupid thought. I hope you don't have them often, as I think you are smarter than that.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:57 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Maybe.

But it doesn't mean they have inferior skills in the real world, where someone isn't standing over them with a stopwatch.

I test way above my level of competence. Just because I'm an excellent test taker.

Doesn't make me more proficient in that field, though, vs. someone who tests poorly.
The issue isn't that Oxford extended it's finals exam times by 15 minutes that's a non-event. It's the stated reason for why they're extending those times. The perception it promotes is that women are less capable than men in those conditions, which reinforces gender stereotypes, rather than tearing them down.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:23 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The issue isn't that Oxford extended it's finals exam times by 15 minutes that's a non-event. It's the stated reason for why they're extending those times. The perception it promotes is that women are less capable than men in those conditions, which reinforces gender stereotypes, rather than tearing them down.
There may seriously be some hormonal issues. My understanding is that there is a greater complexity and cyclicality of female hormones, connected with menstrual periods.

That is not meant as a sexist remark.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It was an experiment to see if it made any difference and it didn't. A non story.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It was an experiment to see if it made any difference and it didn't. A non story.
The action. Non-Story.

The reason for the action, and the perception of that reason big story. The issue is that Oxford wanted to wave their feminist credentials, but in doing so they made a very public statement that can be perceived as defamatory to the female gender. That's the big issue. If Oxford said "well we extended exams by 15 minutes to give our candidates a better chance of demonstrating their abilities." no story. They didn't which is why it is a story.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:18 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
How many businesses don't have deadlines that must be met? Most people don't work for government and can take however long is required to get the job done.

In the real world 'good enough' that meets a required deadline is better than 'perfect' that never actually gets done.
You realize deadlines are normally in months or weeks, even years. Fifteen minutes is not going to make or break a deadline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies