Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:24 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times

Advertisements

Retail sucks, service jobs suck. Most people can only do it for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:54 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Lowes hires thousands of seasonal employees every spring. Whether or not this year is more than expected because of the economy I don't know. It's not an easy task to hire these people either. The vast majority won't pass the drug test including those who smoke pot. Many new employees don't last more than a few days or a couple of weeks because they are actually expected to work, come in on time and not call out sick after a few days of working.
Those who stay on and are decent workers have a good chance of staying with the company and can eventually become full time employees.
Some stores have job fairs which are open to the public. People are briefly interviewed and if they pass the interview they move on to the drug test. At one particular store I know, last year about 98% failed the drug test. Out of a couple hundred people interviewed, 2-3 actually got a job. This is in CA.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:02 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Lowe's hiring more than 53,000 employees

Put all the companies on cards and shuffle the deck. Some laying off and some hiring.

Deal the cards and in time we'll see who has a winning hand.

America is back in the game and open for business !!!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/low...dist=bigcharts
The term "seasonal staffers" was in the title and somebody didn't even bother noticing it.

As noted before Lowes and Home Depot hire these people every year for the spring.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The term "seasonal staffers" was in the title and somebody didn't even bother noticing it.

As noted before Lowes and Home Depot hire these people every year for the spring.
You're not getting the big picture. Seasonal employees are often the part time and full time employees of the future. The seasonal employees that are hired and do a good job or even decent job are kept on as permanent employees. They are not let go because they were hired as seasonal.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:07 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
These are seasonal positions and they do it every year in preparation for the home improvement season.
That isn't the truth and the whole truth. Is it ? No no it isn't.

hiring more than 53,000 employees, including full-time, part-time and seasonal workers. Seasonal staff usually work between March and September in functions like cashiers and lawn and garden associates. Full-time and part-time positions available include service and support managers and stockers. Lowe's currently has nearly 250,000 U.S. store employees.

Quote:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300587324.html

Lowes is a good company who treats their employees decent. Good for them.
OK, If you say so. IDK

Opportunities are available.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 AM

17,007 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Seasonal workers can actually move into pretty good positions with Lowes or HD. I know quite a few people who were hired as seasonal and ended up moving to full time very rapidly. A couple are now in management.

As for being the land of indentured servitude, the last time I checked people still needed jobs. That is unlikely to change anytime in the future. If they are willing to work for Lowes, who are you to say that this is a bad thing?

So you don't want people to work for Lowes, but at the same time, you don't like independent business owners either. I guess in your perfect world everything would be supplied by big brother while people just sat at home or did whatever they wanted to?
This. Yes most are crap jobs but they are at the better end of crap jobs. Currently they are understaffed. Both near me have had giant now hiring banners outside along the road so long the banners are fading. Most of their seasonal hires end up permanent at those 2 stores near me. If you show up mostly, provide half a brain and 3/4 of an effort, they will keep you.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:15 AM

20,122 posts, read 9,036,439 times
this isn't about Lowe's or any other large corporation hiring out of work Americans and giving them hope and an opportunity to help build a resume or feed their families.

this is about hating to see any positive news at all, for anyone and everyone, as long as President Donald J. Trump is President of the Unites States. Anything positive, needs to be turned into a negative.

it's pure, simple, and indisputable.

these are people who are very bitter losers wishing nothing but the worst for our country while Trump is President.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 AM

Truth be told they hire "seasonal employees" so they can get rid of the losers they hired as seasonal no questions asked which is a good thing.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Are they liveable wages, probably not. Probably no full-time positions instead hiring 40 full time hire 80 part time so that would bump up the the number of jobs that no one can reasonably live on, unless that person gets 3 part time jobs. But they need a car to drive back and forth to all these different employers. A junk car they can barely afford, breaks down often. Then can't get back and forth to work when car breaks down and loses all three jobs. (never mind the difficulty of trying to coordinate all these different schedules with all the different employers)
Maybe you expect the helicopter to pick you up in the front yard and drop you off back there at the end of the day.
Not everybody is holding out for that first time job benefit.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Maybe you expect the helicopter to pick you up in the front yard and drop you off back there at the end of the day.
Not everybody is holding out for that first time job benefit.
Exactly. I suppose she wants new seasonal employees to start at $20. I work for lowes. I am not management and I have been there quite a few years. I make over $20 an hour.
I have a house and a mortgage, pay my bills and have a car payment too. Thank you Lowes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies