Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:43 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Who would pay for airports, air traffic control, etc. The list of govt. agencies that keep the planes flying is extensive. FAA
TSA
Dept. of Transportation
Customs and Border Protection
Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Animal and Plant Health Inspection
NTSB
That`s only a partial list.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...axes/29518427/

Other countries can and have privatized their air traffic control systems. The sky didn't fall, planes are still taking off and landing, safety hasn't been compromised.....

The TSA was gut reaction to 9/11/01 and needs to be rethought.

As for the rest, as pointed out in linked article above; it simply comes down to politics. GOP has and has had a hate on for increasing taxes, fees or surcharges, and DNC cannot always shake their "tax and spend" reputation.

In the meantime we have current status quo; infrastructure of all sorts are starved for funds unless or until something major happens. Then after much finger pointing funds are found to fix whatever current issue de jour caused the incident, but then it's back to square one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 12:23 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Foolishness, as always from Trump. Let’s hand over all of our infrastructure to his friends with deep pockets and banking pals while we dismantle the rail system for no good reason. So who will own your airport? How much will you pay in bridge and road tolls? What will happen with shipping ports? Let’s sell off the National Parks and Monuments to pay for his wall....people can’t afford the entry fee increases he imposed anyway.

“During the peak season at each park, the entrance fee would be $70 per private, non-commercial vehicle, $50 per motorcycle, and $30 per person on bike or foot. A park-specific annual pass for any of the 17 parks would be available for $75.” That’s Trump's plan for popular parks.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:42 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
What transportation systems do we have that are self supporting? None.
PRIVATELY owned transportation systems either succeed of fail and go out of business.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
if its deemed necessary by the consumer, the private market will provide.
And its not govt agencies that keep the planes flying, its individuals cooperating/working together, funded by willing consumers. Govt could step right put of the way and the planes will still be flying.
You don't honestly believe if govt air traffic control were terminated airlines wouldnt come together and form their own system?
"You don't honestly believe if govt air traffic control were terminated airlines wouldnt come together and form their own system?'

A lot of it is contracted out already.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:49 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
As always, President Trump always comes up with the very best plans on everything.
Listen to yourself.

I hope Florida says no to this spending spree.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Other countries can and have privatized their air traffic control systems. The sky didn't fall, planes are still taking off and landing, safety hasn't been compromised.....

The TSA was gut reaction to 9/11/01 and needs to be rethought.

As for the rest, as pointed out in linked article above; it simply comes down to politics. GOP has and has had a hate on for increasing taxes, fees or surcharges, and DNC cannot always shake their "tax and spend" reputation.

In the meantime we have current status quo; infrastructure of all sorts are starved for funds unless or until something major happens. Then after much finger pointing funds are found to fix whatever current issue de jour caused the incident, but then it's back to square one.
"In the meantime we have current status quo; infrastructure of all sorts are starved for funds"

B.S.

They have HAD the funds for YEARS for maintenance.

WHAT DID THEY DO WITH IT?

I posted earlier I just finished cross country drive and saw 1st hand ALL THE NEW INTRASTATE construction going on.

How about, INSTEAD of doing NEW projects, maybe they should use some of that money to MAINTAIN what thee ALREADY have.

Where did all the tax dollars go that cities, counties, states and the fed collect that is SUPPOSED to be used for maintenance?

Heaven forbid we hols ALL of the politicians ACCOUNTABLE for the money we send them.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:07 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Foolishness, as always from Trump. Let’s hand over all of our infrastructure to his friends with deep pockets and banking pals while we dismantle the rail system for no good reason. So who will own your airport? How much will you pay in bridge and road tolls? What will happen with shipping ports? Let’s sell off the National Parks and Monuments to pay for his wall....people can’t afford the entry fee increases he imposed anyway.

“During the peak season at each park, the entrance fee would be $70 per private, non-commercial vehicle, $50 per motorcycle, and $30 per person on bike or foot. A park-specific annual pass for any of the 17 parks would be available for $75.” That’s Trump's plan for popular parks.
And where are the Democrats? They are too busy saying: He isn't my President! Get off your butts and show us your plans for a better future! I guess it is hard to talk when sitting on your hands!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:24 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Is Trump not aware that Amtrak is part of America's infrastructure?
Amtrak shares the tracks with commercial train operations as was demonstrated by yesterday's Amtrak accident. The infrastructure is the tracks not the passenger service.

I have ridden Amtrak a couple times in the SW USA. There were few passengers and a very large staff working on the train. I can see why its a money loser. I enjoyed the ride but being a monopoly financed by taxpayers changes need to be made and fat trimmed at the very least.

As a libertarian who wants to see the federal government greatly reduced in size I would like to see the Trump administration privatize large sectors like the USPS and Amtrak to start. Then public TV and radio.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:26 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Amtrak shares the tracks with commercial train operations as was demonstrated by yesterday's Amtrak accident. The infrastructure is the tracks not the passenger service.

I have ridden Amtrak a couple times in the SW USA. There were few passengers and a very large staff working on the train. I can see why its a money loser. I enjoyed the ride but being a monopoly financed by taxpayers changes need to be made and fat trimmed at the very least.

As a libertarian who wants to see the federal government greatly reduced in size I would like to see the Trump administration privatize large sectors like the USPS and Amtrak to start. Then public TV and radio.
Just sell them off

Old 02-05-2018, 07:27 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
if its deemed necessary by the consumer, the private market will provide.
And its not govt agencies that keep the planes flying, its individuals cooperating/working together, funded by willing consumers. Govt could step right put of the way and the planes will still be flying.
You don't honestly believe if govt air traffic control were terminated airlines wouldnt come together and form their own system?
If we leave transportation and infrastructure open to the "free market" the more sparsely populated middle America will suffer tremendously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies