Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:32 AM

962 posts, read 752,555 times

Advertisements

Why the hell would anybody want to live in New jersey to start with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 08:00 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,946,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
For those who are tired of talking about Trump, lets hear your thoughts... is it ok or not ok for the town to close off its roads to rush hour traffic?

Town's weird plan to keep traffic out riles readers | NJ.com

"Officials passed an ordinance banning motorists who don't live or work in Leonia from driving on 60 local roads between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. If they don't comply they could face a $200 fine.

The borough plans to issue yellow tags for those who are exempt from the law to display on their rearview mirror and signs will be posted along the route by mid-January, officials said.

The ordinance targets George Washington Bridge drivers who cut through the 1.6 square mile town, taxing its resources and paralyzing its streets, officials said.

But most commenters decried the plan, calling it discriminatory, illegal, and generally illogical."
Thank you for creating a thread that is not about Trump. The majority of people in this borough and county are registered as unaffiliated.

The population of Leonia is about 9000. Reportedly, some side streets experience up to 4000 vehicles per day during rush hour. This is a rather modern construct that occured when navigational apps began touting non- highway shortcuts to/ from the bridge. I can appreciate local frustration with this amount of traffic.

I don't know who is responsible for maintaining these side streets, borough, county, state?

It's a home rule municipality. I don't know what NJ allows home rule municipalities.

The courts will eventually sort it out.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:03 AM

25,916 posts, read 16,644,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
For those who are tired of talking about Trump, lets hear your thoughts... is it ok or not ok for the town to close off its roads to rush hour traffic?

Town's weird plan to keep traffic out riles readers | NJ.com

"Officials passed an ordinance banning motorists who don't live or work in Leonia from driving on 60 local roads between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. If they don't comply they could face a $200 fine.

The borough plans to issue yellow tags for those who are exempt from the law to display on their rearview mirror and signs will be posted along the route by mid-January, officials said.

The ordinance targets George Washington Bridge drivers who cut through the 1.6 square mile town, taxing its resources and paralyzing its streets, officials said.

But most commenters decried the plan, calling it discriminatory, illegal, and generally illogical."
I'm sure there are legalities in play that are probably over their heads. Like the main street might be a state highway and then the county has something to say about who drives on their roads.

One thing is for certain, if we cut our military budget in half and used it more wisely we could be just as safe and have a lot of money to redesign the transportation system in this country so people aren't wasting precious hours of their lives sitting in traffic.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The townspeople said that it could take them 30-40 minutes just to get out of their driveway. (there was a story on CBS news about this) All so the freeway drivers could cut a couple minutes off their commute time.
Leonia has tracked up to 4000 vehicles on a single side street during rush hour, each day.

While I have lived in NJ twice, I am not familiar with this borough/ local roads.

This all began when navigational apps began touting alternatives to highways to/ from the bridge.

I appreciate the frustration of the locals.

Perhaps installing Rush Hour Stop Signs at every interception would have made the short cuts undesirable and compelled navigational apps to remove them.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:12 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,992,447 times
During the summer Waze takes us on this road to avoid traffic getting to the GWB on our way home from our beachouse. Usually shaves half hour. Gonna miss it!

Old 02-02-2018, 08:13 AM

16,610 posts, read 10,798,771 times
I don't know what the legalities of this are, but what I do know is that I don't like the idea of any town or city or county or whatever being able to decide that only its own residents can use its roads. The ability to travel around this country at will is a priceless freedom, and things like this would only erode that freedom.

That said, I can understand the frustration of the townspeople. Maybe the solution is to establish tolls on thru-routes and exempt the residents from paying them. Of course, that would introduce a whole host of other problems. Delivery companies would jack up the price of deliveries to that community to compensate for the toll. Service companies would likewise increase the price of their services to that community. And so on.

Nevertheless, it's beyond sad that it would take someone over 30 minutes just to get out of their driveway. You would think that someone would slow down and wave them into the road, right? But apparently not. (Insert anti-New Jersey comment here.)

Old 02-02-2018, 08:18 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,782,646 times
I suspect that if Leonia ever accepted State or Federal funds for roads that their ordinance will be very short lived. There are strings attached to State & Federal funding that preclude discrimination.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Why the hell would anybody want to live in New jersey to start with?
I lived in NJ, twice. There are pro and cons associated with living anywhere. Like any state, there is incredible wealth and destitution, no different than your own state.

Trump owns 3 private country clubs in NJ and spends most Summer- Autumn weekends at one of them. Ivanka was married at one of these clubs. Why is this?

Parts of NJ are stunning in natural beauty.

Millions live in NJ and commute to NYC for employment.

What is your exposure to the entire state?

Old 02-02-2018, 09:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 3,135,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I suspect that if Leonia ever accepted State or Federal funds for roads that their ordinance will be very short lived. There are strings attached to State & Federal funding that preclude discrimination.
That's a good point. A lawyer in a nearby town has sued as she's impacted. There are better ways for the town to deal with this issue and closing off roads is just going to tick off people who live in surrounding towns and have a legitimate reason to drive to or through the town. Leonia's plan will give it a bad name and ultimately hurt the town's business as well. We shall see. I can't imagine the court allowing this to continue much longer....

Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,992,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I lived in NJ, twice. There are pro and cons associated with living anywhere. Like any state, there is incredible wealth and destitution, no different than your own state.

Trump owns 3 private country clubs in NJ and spends most Summer- Autumn weekends at one of them. Ivanka was married at one of these clubs. Why is this?

Parts of NJ are stunning in natural beauty.

Millions live in NJ and commute to NYC for employment.

What is your exposure to the entire state?
You are correct, There are portions of NJ that are beautiful. I do not live there but have a beachouse on Long Beach Island and love it. The shore areas as an example are so nice. Well, a few are less desirable due to people not scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies